My First NHtea Grow

Make a little green house around them. They can handle it as long as they arent getting bombarded by freezing winds. They're going to be soooo purple I can't wait to see these buds. +reps!

Covered up the plants the last two nights because of the cold. Last night we actually had a frost! they survived..wow these things are troopers!

Also gave them milk baths (1/8 milk to 7/8 water) No sign of the White spots/mold on any leaves. I did find a grasshopper on one of them this morning though.

Onto the the latest pictures, they are really starting to fill out Yay

IMG_20140920_114757_808.jpg
IMG_20140920_114734_503.jpg
IMG_20140920_114706_550.jpg
IMG_20140920_114632_360.jpg
IMG_20140920_114612_004.jpg
IMG_20140920_114555_770.jpg
IMG_20140920_114542_639.jpg
IMG_20140920_114516_274.jpg
IMG_20140920_114509_927.jpg
IMG_20140920_114444_704.jpg
IMG_20140920_114432_248.jpg
IMG_20140920_114421_729.jpg
IMG_20140920_114357_760.jpg
IMG_20140920_114350_551.jpg
IMG_20140920_114329_592.jpg
IMG_20140920_114319_706.jpg
IMG_20140915_172907_9991.jpg
2ndbest.jpg

Hi Bright, I dont think its from spraying because its only on the one plant (so far) but I could be wrong - I am definitely going to trim off those leaves and possibly those tops near it. I dont want to take the chance of all four dying from this

Heres an article on a treatment I found:

Powdery mildew spreads quickly. Don't wait for it to appear–be pro-active and spray preventatively. An easy solution is right in your refrigerator: milk. As long as your plants are at least two weeks from harvest, a mix of 10 percent milk to 90 percent water can be sprayed on any part of the plant. Otherwise just spray on infected leaves.
Another way to stop the spores is to raise the pH of the alkalinity level of the leaf surface. Potassium bicarbonate, found at garden stores, is my first choice. You can also use baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Mix 1 teaspoon of either to 1 quart of the 10 percent milk mix; if too close to harvest, omit the milk and just use water for an effective foliar spray.

I would rather try something like this than harsh chemicals or pull the plant at this point. its worth a try

Powder Mildew (PM) is systemic. Meaning it is in the plant almost like herpes lol sorry for the crude analogy but it applies. Sometimes it goes away with topical treatments but it never actually goes away. If you were to pollinate those ladies with a clean male, the PM would still show up in the seeds. It's a horrible virus and once its there you can NEVER get rid of it, you can only treat it.

I dont have herpes, it was just an analogy hahahaha

Latest dilema, oh what fun, Not! My neighbor to the left of me works nights and is leaving his spot light on all night. Not only does it shine in my bedroom window but it also lights up half my yard. Then .. new neighbors moved in to the right of me and guess what.. They are also leaving their spot light on overnight because he saw a skunk in his yard! I dont know what to do at this point. Buy a beebee gun?

The weather, the bugs, mold, now lights. And to boot, one of my plants is looking funky all of a sudden, it looks like it has three little balls under the leaves now
IMG_20140924_173202_586.jpg

how well do you know your neighbors? and/or how friendly are you with each other? can you maybe ask them to kill the lights at night? just tell them it shines right into your bedroom, hallway, wherever and makes it hard for you to get to sleep, even with drapes closed.

If you don't feel you can approach them about it, then all I can suggest is maybe build some sort of temporary shield (plywood or something) just to keep the spotlight from shining on them.

regarding the picture... between all the trichomes on it, and the fact it's partially hidden under the leaf and within the bud structure it's hard to tell. can you maybe get a picture more close-up? even better, a macro shot if your camera has that setting?

I don't know enough about these plants yet (still a newb who's learning)... but would pollen sacs even form at this late-stage or maturity?

best of luck

Can't tell for sure, doesn't look like pollen sacks. If it has trichomes on it then I doubt its a pollen sack.

The lights might not make much a difference, like he said, if they are already deep into maturity, its not going to compare to the Sun, but it could perhaps slow them down. It's unfortunate, I have a neighbor like that too. Just hang in there, you have made a lot of progress! :cheer:

Thanks Lester . I didnt even see the trichomes on it until I uploaded the picture and even if I did Im too new at this to know what that would mean. When i was out checking on them, i actually pulled one of the little sacks off trying to get a closer look. To tell the truth it didnt look like much :) I thought the plant was turning into a hermie Thank you for your input through all this, its really appreciated

Thanks Garage grower (my fellow newb) My neighbors are nice but I would feel funny asking the new ones to turn it off since I dont really know them and its not like theirs shine on my house (just my yard). The other one I did ask but he says he wants it for security for his family when hes gone. How can I argue that one? Im going to try to borrow my daughters camera and get some close ups. My phone is usually blurry plus after a long day at the office with 4 or 5 cups of coffee my hands are a bit shaky by the end of the day

Hi Brightlight<<I have those brightlights here hahaha another thing I have to look up "swollen calyxes" I really am totally new at this. I finally figured out that its not the "pistals" that I look at to see if they turn amber but the Trichomes. all along I was waiting for the long pistals to turn. I spend more time reading here than I do anything else lately. constantly studying and learning - its like a good book that you cant put down. Who knew there was so much to this!

I just want to say thank you everyone for stopping in and helping me through this honestly. Your all awesome in my:thanks: book!

You are not really off course....pistil coloration is also a way to judge maturity. I know an experienced & talented grower who never uses a microscope to look at trichomes, just pistils & overall look of bud. I never let my bud get overly mature even if trichome coloration isn't exactly where I wish. I dislike bud that has gotten too leafy in maturity (looks lousy & harder to trim).

I thought the leaves die off as the bud matures No?

I just looked up swollen calyxes and that is definitely what i have!! Yay what a relief!

I have a huge party every year for Halloween - I turn my house and yard into a haunted house so no matter what I have to harvest these before then - amber or not. I just hope they are far enough along by then - I estimate theyll be about 8 or 9 weeks into flowering so i think theyll be okay.

Thanks Bright I appreciate your input for sure!

Girls look great. I am a little further; south. I harvest before I need blankets, hay on the roots tho.
NH you're gonna be very pleased moving inside.
Watch bugs and light leaks and they pretty much do the rest themselves.
Keep good soil, look into coco.

Thanks for the tip Grim - Ive read of others using coco Ill definitely be looking into it.

Girls will be happy and sunbathing this weekend - looking like a couple of days around 80 so the blankets will be off but unfortunately it wont last. As Ive said in the past, these are tough little plants!

So far so good with the weather around here. I have been seeing a little PM on my girls also, I have been hitting them with a 1-4 milk to water concoction after reading your journal and it has all but stopped. I know its still there but it looks like this will fend it off for the next few weeks.

I am a little worried what rotten dairy might do to the end product.

Also the town just put in those crazy blue street lights in on my road.
A covert mission at 2am with my 22 took care if that

Also the town just put in those crazy blue street lights in on my road.
A covert mission at 2am with my 22 took care if that[/QUOTE]

Love this! Thats what i wanted to do to my neighbors spot lights but Ill play nice this time around

I havent had any issues (yet) with using the milk baths and no sign of any more mold so im going to stick with it. At first I was just pouring it all over them, but now Im using a spray bottle and its kept it at bay.

Weather this past weekend was so nice I took off camping and did some leaf peeping. The colors this year are going to be fantastic - the trees are already putting on a great show and are already really bright. Best part of fall is the beautiful pallet it creates. One great perk to living in the Northeast i guess. Posting update pictures later. I got home late last night so haven't seen the girls since last Thursday. Hope they're in one piece and soaked up some rays over the weekend

Finally getting a little sun today. Its been so rainy, damp, and cold here. checked on the girls this morning and ugh Bud rot on one of them - looks nasty
IMG_20141003_120502_819.jpg
IMG_20141003_120453_171.jpg

The rest are looking okay but we have another storm coming through tomorrow. Nice purple color on top of one of the plants and they are really starting to smell so good. Sort of a basil citrus smell.

P10103314.JPG
P10103305.JPG
P10103295.JPG
P10103263.JPG
P1010327_2_.JPG
P10103283.JPG
P10103253.JPG

Back
Top Bottom