mylar blankets

KaBloom

How thick & how durable are mylar blankets? I'm going to be setting up in a bedroom closet and the doors are definitely not sufficient in the darkness department.... Also I really don't want to cut into the walls to vent as my dwelling is a rental.,.soooo I was thinking of covering the door opening with a mylar blanket and installing a zipper and vents if that's possible??? Thoughts? Thanx again!!!

HI again Kabloom, LOL
Mylar blankets like you use for emergencies? If that's what you mean, they are very very thin. You can almost see through them.
I am using a couple in my grow attached to curtains and they are starting to shred just from the light breeze from the fans and pulling them out of the way when I need to. No way you could attach zippers to them.
Now this I know about from personal experience! :high-five:

So, here is an idea....I put some curtains to use and bought some thick mylar from the hydro shop. Black on one side and mylar on the other. (it also comes in black and white) I attached it to the curtains and it is holding very well. Through one whole grow and they have not shredded or torn. I'll find a pic of it if you are interested?

Hi Kabloom,
My lowes/home depot do not sell it. My hydro shop does though and It can be bought to specific lengths. Priced by the foot.
I wound up getting a roll of it from fleabay, it isn't really cheap...but it's thick and you can't see through it. LOL
I'll find my curtain pic and post it here in a bit. ;-)

New_reflector_curtain.jpg

What I did there was folded the edges of the mylar a couple turns to make the edge thicker, then place a small piece of cardboard on both sides of the edge and attached it to the curtain using a stapler. The cardboard helps keep stress off the mylar from the staples so it doesn't tear.
Hope that gives you some ideas! :thumb:

Oh, and I only have the mylar attached on the right curtain in that picture. ;-)

Good deal KaBloom! My curtain is holding up without any adjustments now into the second round on the grow. I've never tried the zippers mentioned above, but I may give it a go and see if it works. I am currently using clothes pins to hold them closed. They work, but I lose them after setting them down to work on the plants. LOL
:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom