Never had this happenneed some help

Makeminefullgrown

Hello, I’m having a an issue w/ my current grow. I was given 2 plants by a friend about 3 weeks ago. They were in sad shape to say the least. They were 5-6 weeks old, hadn’t been topped or trained so they were very vertical. I nursed them back to health and they look great now compared to before.
They’re almost to the point of flipping to flower, but I’m seeing an odd condition on a small number of the leaves.
After transplanting to a 5 gal pot and letting them adjust, I cut the top 1/3rd of the plant off at the main stem. This left me w/ 10-12 main tops that I tied down, with a bunch of exposed sites in the dead center. Now all those exposed sites have started new growth in the center, with the main tops forming a circle around the perimeter. The canopy of nice and even.
The issue is many of the new small sites are looking ragged…..tips burned or very dry around the edges.
The main tops are 99% great…..but there is the random leaf that is dry and dying…..no discoloration at all…..just drying up.
I’m wondering, could this be a fungus that is attacking the newest and most vulnerable growth? Could the issue with the new growth be caused by the light being too intense ?
—my lights are 2 HLG led’s, 470w total….turned way back = 300-350ppfd.
—medium is FF KokoBop lightly amended w/ various dry organics. I have had many successful grows with this mix.
—temps 79-81F, RH 58-64%
I usually top a plant a couple times in veg, then tie it down rather aggressively to open it up for a flatter canopy with many tops…..but I’ve never done it this way where the sites are starting from nothing and exposed to such direct light…..
And what could cause a random fan leaf, that’s growing among many totally healthy ones, to just dry up and die?
Anyway, any help or perspective is appreciated. So thanks…

IMG_8225.jpeg
IMG_8226.jpeg
IMG_8227.jpeg
IMG_8223.jpeg

My guess is your aggressive topping this late in the plant's life caused the flush of new growth like you're seeing (all of which looks really healthy) but that kind of threw things out of whack for the plant for a bit, and some fans are being mined for the nutrients to fuel that growth.

You could lower the light or the plant temporarily and see if that helps but I don't think that's the issue since the new growth looks really healthy.

Agree with Azimuth. Tips curling up is from too hot, low humidity, dry soil, hot lights , or low nitrogen. Thee only one that fits this plant sounds like low nitrogen. The yellow specks confirm it. Just because there is enough in the soil does not mean enough in the plant. I you create a sudden explosion of growth grater than the roots can feed it will draw from old growth leaf reserves. Once the roots settle and growth slows it should be fine but you can give it a bit of liquid N to help it along.

Hiya MMFG, I agree with azimuth, looks like the plant canna-balized (cannibalized) itself to get extra nutrients to the damaged zones. I wouldn't worry to much it looks fairly healthy.... If things persist or spread that's when you should worry.

And top notch training... That's a pretty shape you've created.... And lots of bud zones.

Thanks guys….that makes sense. They are almost at the size that I would be flipping, but I always grow 3 plants…..so I have a couple of seedlings that I am trying to wait out before I flip. So I should be able to let them settle in and veg another 3-4 weeks……of course by then I probably won’t have room for the 3rd plant……lol.

I have a 2’x6’ space with 8’ ceiling. If I grow 3 plants and push it, it till totally fill up. Last harvest I ended up w/ 21 oz of tops w/ minimal loose larfy buds. I have no idea if that’s a good yield for that space or not……I do know that it sentenced me to trim jail for a helluva long time.

I have a 2’x6’ space with 8’ ceiling. If I grow 3 plants and push it, it till totally fill up. Last harvest I ended up w/ 21 oz of tops w/ minimal loose larfy buds. I have no idea if that’s a good yield for that space or not……I do know that it sentenced me to trim jail for a helluva long time.
With that space and a second smaller veg space you could go perpetual. You can get a harvest every 6 weeks with two plants in flower. With three you could get a harvest every 4 weeks.

Spreads out the harvest work and actually allows you to squeeze in an extra harvest or two over the course of a year.

If that's your only grow space you could isolate a 2'x1.5' space within it and keep mothers, clones and seedlings in it to feed your rotation.

I think I may have a friend that’ll do most of the vegging for me……unfortunately he doesn’t have the attention for detail and his plants generally look like shit. I’m not really sure why he has such a hard time. He always fries the hell out of his plants even though he says the light is miles away from the canopy.
But you’re right it would save a lot of veg time. I don’t enjoy the first month of a grow all that much anyway…..
Thanks for your comments.

I don’t enjoy the first month of a grow all that much anyway…..
Ha! For me it's the opposite. I enjoy veg way more with all the training, cloning, developing a plant from a small shoot to flip-ready, etc.

Flowering is pretty boring for me. Just fertigate every day or two and wait for week 7 so I can drought them to break up the monotony. I grow in SIPs so there isn't even a wet/dry cycle to break things up.

B-O-R-I-N-G!

Last harvest I ended up w/ 21 oz of tops w/ minimal loose larfy buds. I have no idea if that’s a good yield for that space or not……I do know that it sentenced me to trim jail for a helluva long time
Per square foot 1oz of sativa or 2oz of indica is a good goal. So you are doing good.
Of all the tasks, trimming is only one I try to pawn off whenever possible.
If you had a picture of what they look like when you got them, we may be able to tell what's going wrong in veg.

With that space and a second smaller veg space you could go perpetual.
That is the harmless idea that slowly expanded a winter 8 square foot grow space into 100 square foot of perpetual. With perpetual you have to actively kill a genetic line to make room for a new one. Almost like passively killing a pet. Not a pet dog, more like a pet fish, lol.
The flowering process is the joy of watching and waiting for the rewards of all the cloning and veg planning. All three stages are enjoyable in different ways. But I only spend a minute looking at flowers before sitting in the veg and clone room for half an hour.

That is the harmless idea that slowly expanded a winter 8 square foot grow space into 100 square foot of perpetual.

i'll never do a larger grow again. you've got my respect.

Per square foot 1oz of sativa or 2oz of indica is a good goal. So you are doing good.
Of all the tasks, trimming is only one I try to pawn off whenever possible.
If you had a picture of what they look like when you got them, we may be able to tell what's going wrong in veg.

That is the harmless idea that slowly expanded a winter 8 square foot grow space into 100 square foot of perpetual. With perpetual you have to actively kill a genetic line to make room for a new one. Almost like passively killing a pet. Not a pet dog, more like a pet fish, lol.
The flowering process is the joy of watching and waiting for the rewards of all the cloning and veg planning. All three stages are enjoyable in different ways. But I only spend a minute looking at flowers before sitting in the veg and clone room for half an hour.
This is about 5 days after it arrived…it was growing straight up, so I tied it down to open it up. Once it perked up, I cut the top 1/3rd or so off at the main stem. Also moved it into a 5 gal pot.
IMG_8188.jpeg

With perpetual you have to actively kill a genetic line to make room for a new one. Almost like passively killing a pet. Not a pet dog, more like a pet fish, lol.
Wait, what? Why do you say that?

You could keep several small mothers and rotate flowering them via clone. That's why I suggested a second smaller space.

Wait, what? Why do you say that?

You could keep several small mothers and rotate flowering them via clone. That's why I suggested a second smaller space.
I was joking how this hobby literally grows in scale. No matter how small the mothers, you will run out of space if you keep adding strains. Eventually you have to stop adding strains, expand the space, or remove a strain to make room for a new strain. Not switching in new strains is an option but where is the fun in that?

Completely agree with you that perpetual grow is a great option. I generally have an early, a mid and a late flowering stage plant in the 12/12 section. Then also a clone cutting, a mid veg and a late veg under 18/6. Three genetics running perpetual. Cloning plus veg time barely equals the flower time. Ideally you want two flowering spaces for each veg space for some added sanity, but you can plan around it pretty easily.

Back
Top Bottom