New Grower: Excited To Learn

DWC'ers (like myself) will tell ya to go in that direction and soil growing will tell ya go that direction and coco growings will tell ya go in that direction lol.
So in the end your going to have to Make the call.
All of them have pros and cons.
If you can keep your climate under control and your attention to detail is as good as you say, DWC can be extremely rewarding.

Im a RDWCer and im kind of thinking soil is easiest for a first grow. A 10 gallon smart pot, a pot elevator to keep it out of the water, and a oversized tray, what is that $25 for the entire rig? The only other tool youll need is a wet dry vac to help remove water from the drip tray. Id grow 4 plants in a 4x4, i actually have a 4x4 gorilla lite im trying to get rid of. Buy a strain that is highly mold resistant. Id hold off of buying a dehumidifier till you CANT get below 55rh.

Id do LEDs. Quantam boards seem to have the most bang for their buck. You can always build off of what you buy now. I use Spectrum King (which i hate... dont buy one) and Black Dogs (which i love... dont buy one.... waaay to expensive) if you can buy cobs or QBs head that way..

The rest is easy. Id use Fox Farm soil, the General Flora Trio, and keep it simple. Dont get lost in additives, everyone have a favorite system.

Like i said, im a hydro guy, but this season i had to go to soil as my system caught a crazy sniffle and i could not get rid of it. Im actually using the rig i recommended above. King Tut is the strain. Im in 4th week of flower... take a look.

I went with soil my first grow because I heard it was more forgiving. Figured I’d probably need that. Lol. But I watch people growing with High Brix, Rockwool, coco, living organic soil, hempy....and they all do great. So like budz said it’s ultimately a choice based on your preference. And to touch on what stltoed said...I have an led I got from zon that cost me ~300$. I’ve already had to replace it because a fan went out and a whole section of diodes along with it. Probably an easy fix but my schedule wouldn’t allow me the time so I had to order another one. If I had it to do again I would probably go with the quantum board as well. But as it is I’ll work with what I can afford at the moment. And with the dehumidifier...I lucked up and had one given to me but I would follow stltoed’s advice and hold off until you think you have to have one. If you are growing buds and the humidity is high be very diligent in monitoring for mold and powdery mildew. Keep air circulating through the buds and don’t let it stay stagnant in one area of the plant very long.

Hi Pops if you want the growth of hydroponics and the ease of soil I would recommend Coco Coir it is essentially hydro the one draw back is daily watering and disposing of the runoff. For me DWC was not an option as I got slime within a week of starting due to high water temps in the reservoir. I didn't have the funds for a chiller so I went with Coco Coir and was impressed with the results. I got 3 lbs from six plants.

My plants
IMG_3433.JPG

Im a RDWCer and im kind of thinking soil is easiest for a first grow. A 10 gallon smart pot, a pot elevator to keep it out of the water, and a oversized tray, what is that $25 for the entire rig? The only other tool youll need is a wet dry vac to help remove water from the drip tray. Id grow 4 plants in a 4x4, i actually have a 4x4 gorilla lite im trying to get rid of. Buy a strain that is highly mold resistant. Id hold off of buying a dehumidifier till you CANT get below 55rh.

Id do LEDs. Quantam boards seem to have the most bang for their buck. You can always build off of what you buy now. I use Spectrum King (which i hate... dont buy one) and Black Dogs (which i love... dont buy one.... waaay to expensive) if you can buy cobs or QBs head that way..

The rest is easy. Id use Fox Farm soil, the General Flora Trio, and keep it simple. Dont get lost in additives, everyone have a favorite system.

Like i said, im a hydro guy, but this season i had to go to soil as my system caught a crazy sniffle and i could not get rid of it. Im actually using the rig i recommended above. King Tut is the strain. Im in 4th week of flower... take a look.

Thank you for your time and consideration I am still doing research and I have still been researching the best solution for me. I will post more equipment as I receive it.

good afternoon mr.P, I see you have gathered a mighty fine bunch of folk I hope you don't mind if I slide in amongst the other guys n gals...
Not at all Mr smergol welcome and I have read some of your reply on the fourms.

Beutiful looking plants keep going and will be watching your grow.

Hi all,
Well I got my thermpro indoor humidity & temperature monitor,TP-55 today and I am going to start my testing for temp & humidity starting at midnight tonight and check every 4 hours and graph it. And I will post the results of the rescearch
IMG_20180713_230640370_HDR.jpg

Hi all,
Well I got my thermpro indoor humidity & temperature monitor,TP-55 today and I am going to start my testing for temp & humidity starting at midnight tonight and check every 4 hours and graph it. And I will post the results of the rescearch
Nice!

Hi all,

The meter i use for Ph, PPM, temp in hydro will graph the history... it looks cool at least

Well so far the temp is holding at 75 degree and humidity is 53% but I will keep checking as far as what I am going to go with for my grow is the 10 gallon Coco coir I am disabled veteran and I am in a wheelchair so trying to get the hydroponics change and flushed would be a hell of a lot of work for me and when I read your journal and what your advice for new grower was the watering schedule I will be too do.

good morning mr.P, I have a cuzz in the uk forces, so you have my thanks and respect too.
I've never tried coco or hydro as I'm in soil but your choice of medium needs to be comfortable for you.
I winging it here but ask @Vanstank about his watering set up for his tent as a lot of us have back problems but what I picked up from him is he has soda bottles with the bottoms cut off and bottleneck facing down with aquarium hosing attached to the cap, if you have access to all four corners you might be able to get away with that. Edit I see it's a closet so this idea with tent will still work if you choose to go that route..

Actually if I was in a similiar position I'd do drip rings around your plants and feed that way as mentioned above, depending on how many you want to grow in there but that would mean you don't have to lug a lot of feeding liquid...

I hope this day finds you well mr.P..

Thanks Mr smeegol I will check out vanstock I am planning on growing 2 to 3 plants for my grow once I get all my stuff I am growing in the closet and tent as I live in an apartment and I'm looking to keep it hidden and the smell covered up, I am detail oriented and can follow strick regimen if needed. I found a tent and exhaust system I can afford,and a light but I will ask for advice before I purchase that I definitely want feed back from anyone on the light I found see if it will work for me as well. But thank you for all your help and support. I looked at your grow Journal and very happy to hear your thoughts and advice.

Well so far the temp is holding at 75 degree and humidity is 53% but I will keep checking as far as what I am going to go with for my grow is the 10 gallon Coco coir I am disabled veteran and I am in a wheelchair so trying to get the hydroponics change and flushed would be a hell of a lot of work for me and when I read your journal and what your advice for new grower was the watering schedule I will be too do.

Your temps look great, but your relative humidity looks kind of high. Do you live in an area that usually has high humidity? Your AC can help with that a bit, but plants are going to make it worse. If you do choose do buy a dehumidifier dont waste your time with a little one you might put in a clothes closet, they dont usually even move the needle. I bought one of those first, and had to buy something more substatial shortly after.

I didnt realize you were in a chair... maybe dirt isnt a very good idea for your situation. Unless you have a son on call, dirt gets heavy, espescially when wet.

With hydro/coco you have to deal with moving water, but that can be done with a pump or two. This is funnest part for me... solving the problems. Think about where the water source is and a close drain, probably in the same place. Sounds like weight will be a driver for you regarding a system. Water/ drain will be important. Maybe RDWC isnt your best bet due to the amount water you will need but i assure you there are answers out there for you, and you have a great group of eyes watching your progress.

Hey Pop 10 gallon pots is quite a lot for your first grow. Unless you are planning on growing 10 foot tall plants. My plants reached over 5 foot grown in 4 gallon air pots of coco coir. Your plants will love the environment you describe. Rock on Pop!

Well I had the thermometer and humidity check for 12 hours and the temp and humidity staying constantly at 74 degree and humidity is at 50% so if the grow tent raises the temp a little bit this should be good I will update more as I receive the gear.

Back
Top Bottom