New grower lighting question

the older tech mh, cmh and hps, is cheap to buy, expensive to run.
the new tech, qb, cob, led, is expensive for a good one, and cheap to run.

stick with the sponsors. @Budget LED, mars hydro, @TimberGrowLights, for the new tech. better prices for members etc.

chris meant cmh actually.

expensive to run?
how much?

so i pay 1000 for the light and a hundred a month for power, or 100 for the light and a 1000 a month for power?
how many will i need to make my garage bright enough to grow in?

will i need a tent?

Get this

Easy peasy
Screenshot_20200102-173651.png

i dunno where to start. now we're camping. :laughtwo:

you need a grow tent. an actual grow tent. mars hydro can prolly help with that too.
i'd love to point you in a better direction. just not sure what level of understanding you are at.

it might be an idea to have a look at some other grow set ups here
also read through a few grow journals to get a better feel of how its done here

that may help to start.

chris is right. you'll spend more on bulbs that that light would be worth. even an entry level mars is a better choice.
expensive to run?
how much?

so i pay 1000 for the light and a hundred a month for power, or 100 for the light and a 1000 a month for power?
how many will i need to make my garage bright enough to grow in?

will i need a tent?

read up a bit first. you are not asking the right questions. you don't know what to ask yet, and that's ok. you just need to research it a bit more.

i dunno where to start. now we're camping. :laughtwo:

you need a grow tent. an actual grow tent. mars hydro can prolly help with that too.
i'd love to point you in a better direction. just not sure what level of understanding you are at.

it might be an idea to have a look at some other grow set ups here
also read through a few grow journals to get a better feel of how its done here

that may help to start.
thank you i will look at those
and i will google a grow tent

how many mh do i need?

how many of the 300 watt lights from mars do i need to grow as good with the mh blubs

it's gonna depend on a load of other factors which you have not determined yet.

first is figger where your space is gonna get set up. then determine the size of that space. that will dictate how much lighting you will need. at that point you can start deciding on what type of light would work best for your space and budget.

there are lots of other factors. ventilation, humidity, temp, etc. study other peoples set ups for pointers.

read thru the first link in my sig for an example build of a grow space. there are piles of others.

will the high pressure light do as good as the cfl?
or is cfl like a middle ground between led and high pressure metal lights?

it's old tech. the oldest growing tech available. used to be the standard for like 30 yrs. totally proven. just a bit expensive to run. chews thru power and creates heat which has to be dealt with.

do yourself a favor and ditch the idea of cfls. they are really only a seedling light.

it's old tech. the oldest growing tech available. used to be the standard for like 30 yrs. totally proven. just a bit expensive to run. chews thru power and creates heat which has to be dealt with.

do yourself a favor and ditch the idea of cfls. they are really only a seedling light.
okay cfls arent good i wont buy them :)
ilike the big high pressure one but, the power and heat worries me, how much power?
my bill is 100-200 a month avg
would it double with the light? triple?

probably not. they can be expensive if you have pro-rated power charges. not near as bad if you are only charged straight rate. you will need an extraction fan, but should have one anyway. you will need to move a bit more air than you would under other lighting.

We got the mars hydro 250. First grow. 3 plants 326g the light is rated at about 240w at the wall (have a meter in it and it's accurate give or take some)

Keep in mind this is a first time grow, the plants also had a difficult early life (still building the box etc). Don't skimp on light and air flow. The rest really doesn't matter as much

O it's easy to work out how much your grow might cost you on power

240w is watt hour. So 1h = 240 the cost is per unit around here is 2.3 ZAR per unit. A unit is 1000w so 1000 / 240 = 4.16 (with the fans ours is closer to 320 tho)

2.3 / 4.16 = 0.55c per hour (rate per unit divided by how many hours the light must run for before it's 1 unit)

In veg the lamp is on for 18 hours. So 0.55 * 18 = R9.9 per day for the light.

(Just remember if you do run fans to include their draw for the hours the light is off aswell if you run them)

Hope this is accurate

Back
Top Bottom