News's Buds and Breeding

Re: news's buds and breeding.

i figured it was a reasonable number. i figure i'm running about 15%-20%. with the next transplant, i'm going to add more perlite to the soil mix.
:rollit:

i'm considering an experiment. my plan is to take 4 of the 8 ICE and transplant them into 3 or 5 gallon pots. veg them for a few more weeks then flower. I figure i can transplant in two weeks or so, depending on growth. i'll just have to wait and see on that.
what the experiment was to consist of, is, take one of the 4 transplants and using a very gentle stream of water, rinse off some of the heavier soil that is on there now. then, transplant with more of the new, lighter soil mix. the idea is that i can cut back on the size of that heavy, wet spot that always seems to gather in the middle of the pot when you change soil mix at transplant. (my experience) and doing so in a manner that won't overly damage the roots that are formed.

am i out to lunch on this, or does it seem like a plausable idea? i might do it on 2 plants, as it allows a more balanced data set. (Aberation rubbed off on me a bit, read his journal if you haven't yet. it's awesome!)

so, yeah, what do you think?

I'm just wondering if the shock to the roots from the rinse would offset any benefit from the looser soil. Warm water would be good.

So that's why we experiment ;).

There's a chance they might get shocked and not do well, but if you can handle that risk, go for it.

Yep, Aberration has been on my list for a long time ;).

news's buds and breeding. December 11th update

i took photos yesterday of all the new plants as well as the 2 seedlings that i have started.

IMG_1155s.JPG

Super Crystal (to be a mother plant)
IMG_1154s.JPG

Super Crystal (to be a mother plant, topped)
IMG_1158s.JPG

ICE (to be a mother plant)
IMG_1156s.JPG

ICE (to be a mother plant, topped)
IMG_1162s.JPG

ICE (LST, 3 tops, smallest plant)
IMG_1161s.JPG

ICE (LST, 2 tops)
IMG_1163s.JPG

ICE (LST, 3 tops)
IMG_1159s.JPG

ICE (LST, 2 tops)

IMG_1164s.JPG

SFR, she's had a rough time already. lost the 1st and 2nd set of leaves due to drying out. but if she survives, she'll be super hardy.

IMG_1165s.JPG

Hindu Kush, just started. she already looks good. very strong so far. though, a bit leggy for my taste.

All the pots got an extra 1/2" - 1" of the newly mixed soil. it has about 30% - 35% perlite mixed with potting soil and peat moss. the two seedlings are done entirely with the new mix.

will be watering with the 30-15-15 on wednesday.
been misting semi-regularily.
temps ranging from 73F - 79F.
RH is at 50% - 75%.
watered on the 7th with 30-15-15.
watered on the 10th with spring water.

i've got two other seeds soaking. one is a Galaxy God Bud, from BCSEEDS, and the other is Skunk #1 X Original Haze, from Sam the Skunkman. I hope they pop. even if they are male, i'll use them to polinate the female ICE and Super Crystal.

Stay Tuned.

i'm thinking that i'll try the root rinse on the smallest ICE. the one with 3 tops. it's the smallest and if it doesn't take, i'll loose the least. unless she takes off or something.

Thanks duder! :grinjoint:

Oh yeah guess whos back!!! The new is in. I love that tri headed mother ice. Nice to see you here. Not as a bad thing but I hope you get a nice variety of male and female. Always wanted to cross that Ice w/ a couple strains. Mostly the Black Widow to be honest. Can you imagine the trich content of that back crossed between the 2 a few times. WOW!! See this is why I like breeding the crosses a re limitless and having other breeeders to share it with along w/ the 420Famz is cool.

Hey all, thanks for the support! You guys are the best. :thanks:

I got home last night and one of the ICE was limp and flopping over. I gave everything a good watering and covered the wilty one with a large mason jar (that i misted the inside of). This morning, she's perked right back up and looking great. Everything got a little dry over the day and a half I was away.

I think that I will add more perlite to the soil mix to help water retention. Or should I add more peat moss instead? I have lots of peat moss, but I can get perilite cheap enough.

I tested the pH of my nutrient solution before I watered. It read at 7.0. I would like to bring that down to 6.5 for the next watering, but that won't be till next week. In the mean time, I'll be watering with distilled water at about 15-20g of cane sugar in solution.

I'm using 30-15-15 fertilizer at 10ml of powder per gallon of water. Also I'm using natural detergent soap as a herbicide.

:nomo:

Perlite is better for drainage, vermiculite will help with water retention without affecting the pH like peat moss will. Peat is acidic so it may help keep your pH down.

Too bad for your first try but if it don't kill you it will only make you stronger! And wiser too.

We're all pulling for you and the cheerleaders will help too.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

:peace:

truth be told, they're all girls. clones from buddy. luckily i've got a bunch of ice pollen saved from a previous male. it was a super hardy, stinky guy. it lived for almost a month with no water. haha. Black widow and Ice? oh man! i'd be willing to try it. haha.

LabRat thanks for the words of encouragement. i have a question about vermiculite. i've never used it myself, but i've read that it has a tendency to crumble to dust. i figure it wouldn't be that effective, powdered.

and now for a (picture-less) update
:tommy:

everything continues to grow. the ice have all added 1/4" - 1/2" of new growth, except for the topped one.
the Super Crystal haven't grown. and the un-topped one has a spidermite infestation. i sprayed it down with natural soap. and am making a pepper/garlic/citrus spray on wednesday to help. anyone got a good recipe?
the SFR has put up another set of leaves, this one will be a 5-leaf. the Hindu Kush has it's 2nd set of real leaves coming out too. it's kinda exciting.
no action from the Galaxy or the skunk #1 x Original Haze.

... on a side note, i found another ICE seed in my last bud. it was cured to perfection. it's gonna grow a beautiful plant some day.

LabRat thanks for the words of encouragement. i have a question about vermiculite. i've never used it myself, but i've read that it has a tendency to crumble to dust. i figure it wouldn't be that effective, powdered.

It only crumbles to dust if roughly handled. So does perlite tho. Once added to the soil it's fine and soaks up water like a sponge. All it is, is expanded mica, and as it breaks down it is a good source of silica for the plants. I use silicon dioxide for my tub grows and vermiculite would be good for soil grows that may be deficient in silica if they contain no sand or clay. It's fairly cheap too if you buy the larger bags at a commercial nursery.

You can use the coarse stuff in the big pots and the finer grades or crumbs from the coarse stuff for sprouts, clones and smaller pots. I use a screen and rub some perlite or vermiculite on it to get finer grades for clones etc.

C'ya l8tr

hmmm. that sounds like it would be beneficial to the soil. what % would you mix that at? probably closer to like 10% - 20%, eh?

hmmm. that sounds like it would be beneficial to the soil. what % would you mix that at? probably closer to like 10% - 20%, eh?

A fellow Canuckistanian eh? :0)

I'm not positive but I would imagine that if you were using 30% perlite in your usual mix probably drop the perlite to 15% and put in 15% vermiculite. Vermiculite helps the soil breathe like perlite but retains water as well. I just dabble in soil and do not do great with it so don't take this as gospel but it should be alright. I doubt it would be the COD if things did go sideways. Most problems I've seen with soil grows are over/under watering and too much fussing with stuff like pH until things are really messed up. A lot of people just gotta go for the high performance grow right off the bat and amp their plants up with so many expensive additives and IMHO, unnecessary magic potions that one little screw up and disasters happen. I just make sure my girls have enough good basic nutrition and a little Big Bud for the last few weeks and both me and my plants are happy. I might have pushed them to get an extra 10% but I might have pushed them over the edge too.

You got it man. Long live Canadians. btw, check out the link in my sig, since it affects you directly.

thanks for the advice on the vermiculite. i really just eyeball everything 15% ends up being half of a third of the mix, if that makes sense. in stead i may premix the perlite and vermiculite the add that mix as a 1/3 of the overall. damn, there i go getting complicated.

sound wisdom about the pH though. that's what happened to me earlier in this journal.

a question on the AN nutes that you use... What do you use? lol. i forgot my glasses today and couldn't really read them from the pics in your posts..

*shiver* *brr* curse you winter! lol

i return.

i picked up a bag of vermiculite and a bag of cactus soil to add to the peat moss i have. this weekend i'll be mixing the new soil mix.

in the mean time, i've got some pictures of the closet.
IMG_11683.JPG

IMG_11673.JPG

and now for the issues i'm having...
IMG_11665.JPG

This is the un-topped Super Crystal. this particular plant has a number of issues including..
IMG_11692.JPG

Mites!?

i have been spraying her with soap and i even gave her a dunk in garlic/pepper tea to try and kill the little bastards..

All of the Ice are doing well, a bit of browning at the tips of the fan leaves.

here are the seedlings. both having some issues..
IMG_11703.JPG

SFR
IMG_11712.JPG

Hindu Kush.

Mostly everything looks healthy, but as usual, there are issues.
what do you guys think?

Sorry to hear about the mites and other issues, I got faith you'll get them under contol. They look like they are growing good though.

Best of luck to ya bro!

i return.

Mites!?

i have been spraying her with soap and i even gave her a dunk in garlic/pepper tea to try and kill the little bastards..

All of the Ice are doing well, a bit of browning at the tips of the fan leaves.

Mostly everything looks healthy, but as usual, there are issues.
what do you guys think?

I think it's time to get out the big guns and nuke those bastards before they get established. Don't f**k around with herbal/natural remedies as these bastards will laugh at you. The plants are young and not flowering and very susceptible to mite damage. If you have access to predator mites get them NOW! If not, resort to poison. Get some malathion, mix up a pail according to directions, turn the babies upside down and swirl them around in the sol'n. Then shake off the excess while upside down and treat again in three days then once more three days later.

Treat just before their night time and spray with RO water just before the lights come on. Tilt the plants when rinsing so the run-off doesn't go in the soil. It shouldn't hurt if it does but why take the chance.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to get rid of these f**ckers ASAP! If any survive they will make your life hell and once your plants are flowering your options will be limited. I f**ked around with various home remedies once and ended up losing the whole crop and had to sterilize my grow room and restart from seed. They've got to be the worse plague that ever descended on a garden. Thrips are pretty bad too and cost me my last grow because I didn't get to them soon enough.

Treat ALL the plants at the same time or you'll never get rid of them. If you're nervous about possible damage then treat the worse plant first and see how it reacts but it should be OK. If you don't have one already get yourself a little microscope from Radio Shack, (The Source). They only cost about $15 and come in very handy. 30X lighted scope with an 8X pop up magnifying glass at the other end.

Mites lay their eggs on the underside surface of the leaves and look like little translucent balls. The mites look like little spiders, hence their name.

Good luck and act fast . . . FASTER!

C'ya l8r

First, most of the spider mites I see are not dark. Go get a 30-60x scope and take a look. They could be specks of dirt. I find little bits of soil looking like mites without a scope all the time. Maybe my eyes just suck, but nothing beats knowing - especially if it just turns out to be dirt. Edit: on second look, that looks like them though.

Second, as mentioned, hit real spider mites hard and continuously. They reproduce like mad. Spider mites suck. I use Azatrol, check the link in my sig. You can apply it with a little hand pump spray bottle if you have to, to keep it off of the bud. If you use something that eats mites, go early - they don't do big spider mite populations very well. Did I say spider mites suck? If it's early enough to avoid bud rot, let the humidity rise up to 55-60% if you can - they slow down when it is humid and when it is cool. So if you have control of temp and humidity separately, you can slow them effectively while you fight them.

Spider mites suck. Good luck my friend. ;)

PS: This looks like my experience of spider mite damage, too:
IMG_11712.JPG

Rat, ya made me laugh. i do have mites, this i know for sure, i've see the little white f*ckers walking around on MY leaves. am i wrong in saying that spider mites lay big brown/black eggs? either way, i know the garlic/pepper tea helped. definately reduced the populations. where would one go to get these predatory mites?

malathion is a dunk? and Azatrol is a spray?

Aberration, what does yucca do. i could have sworn it was a pest control, but now i'm not sure. the humidity is around 51% most, all the time. so they aren't moving too fast. its just that the plants are so small and dense that i can't get into them to pull the b@stards off.

so, here's a further question, and though i don't have a lot of pics (more tommorow night, probably) does it look like i'm having pH issues still? or is it essentially the mites causing the problems. i'll put up more pics, including individual pictures of each to make identifying problems a little easier.

on an aside, i get to play nanny over the holidays to 48 (yes, 48) clones. i feel like some odd, proud papa. haha.

and thanks for the continued help and support; Aberration, LabRat, MI-Grower, Butch, setting sun, and the rest!

also, is it ok to use the chemical pesticides on seedlings?

Back
Top Bottom