Nicotine vs Cannabis

I have NEVER smoked cigararettes, but have been exposed to second hand smoke my whole life. I usually smoked with a bong or glass pipe and in the last year I developed a nasty hacking cough. I have nights where I cough so much it keeps me up the entire night. I was wondering if vaping would help it go away. I certainly hope so because I enjoy it so much and can't smoke it before bed because of the cough. It really used to help me sleep....keep it green! :cheesygrinsmiley:

I realize this is an old post, but I just picked-up the Chantix starter pack today, to quit cigs.

So, I was wondering, how successful were you, Jim?

I am ready to quit spending the money on cigs that I could use for weed.

I am even more addicted to menthol than I am to nicotine. IDK if this is true for other people. If others who smoke menthol cigarettes, upon running out of their own and getting a non-menthol off of a friend, find that they simply do not like the flavor of the non-menthol cigarette - or if they still have that "I REALLY WANT A CIGARETTE NOW!" feeling that I have even while I am smoking a non-menthol? The reason I wonder is because I had breathing issues from a very young age (undoubtedly worsened by parents who smoked like there was some kind of profit from the activity :rolleyes3 ), and one of the things that got tried on me was having me use one of those Vick's Inhaler things. By the time I entered kindergarten (if not before) I always seemed to have one of them in my hand. I still would if I could find them around here... and they were free (lol).

Nicotine is nothing more than a carcinogenic stimulant is it?

Nicotine is not anywhere near as carcinogenic (if at all) as people generally believe. It's that "guilt by association" thing. Cigarettes contain nicotine and smoking cigarettes causes cancer, so nicotine must cause cancer... kind of thing. People seem to forget that there are about 7,000 other chemicals (many of which ARE carcinogenic) in cigarette smoke. It's not just filler and the occasional dead insect, either. There are all kinds of things added to these products which (arguably) improve the flavor and (almost certainly) increase the addictiveness of the product. Nicotine is addictive - but smoking is far more addictive.

Nicotine might be carcinogenic to one degree or other - but it's sort of like chasing a bottle of drain cleaner and then getting bit by a rattlesnake, lol. Yes, the rattlesnake venom coursing through your body is venomous... But that isn't what's just killed you ;) . You could remove the nicotine completely from cigarettes and people would continue to have the ability to commit suicide by the millions each year. The tar in a cigarette would see to that, if nothing else. The long term danger of nicotine (by itself) has been compared to the long term danger of caffeine. The jury is still out on that one, though. Even if it is, at some point, found to be wholly non-carcinogenic... it might still help "facilitate" certain forms of tumor growth (by helping to impede programmed cell death, et cetera). So I am not trying to state that nicotine is completely safe (only that it is not the demon it has been portrayed as being).

As to "nothing more than..." Well, you might be surprised. Sadly, nicotine - like the various cannabinoids - was vilified in the minds of many for a long time and, therefore, for a long time there wasn't much in the way of research into its potential benefits. That has changed somewhat over the last 25 years or so.

It'd make a good general-purpose insecticide (for other than the ones that actually feed on the tobacco plants) were it not for the whole Tobacco Mosaic Virus thing. Useless trivia fact #32,768: TMV was the first virus to be discovered. TMV is a robust virus - it can survive for many years in tobacco and is a thermostable virus (it can withstand 120°F - 50°C - for 30 minutes).

Nicotine is a cognitive enhancer that boosts attention, working memory, and more. About 90% of people who have schizophrenia smoke cigarettes as a form of self-medicating. (NOTE: This probably isn't a good thing, though, but this isn't the thread for a long discussion on schizophrenia.) Non-smokers are about three times more likely to die of Parkinson's Disease than cigarette smokers. Other "issues of the brain/mind" that might be lessened or otherwise helped by nicotine include depression, Tourette's Syndrome, ADHD, and Alzheimer's Disease.

There is overwhelming epidemiological evidence that smoking protects against ulcerative colitis, the risk of developing the disease being significantly lower in smokers than in non-smokers or former smokers; also, patients with ulcerative colitis who resume or start smoking often experience clinical improvement (OtOH, it appears to be bad for those suffering from Crohn's Disease).

Some researchers at (IIRC) Stamford University did a study to show that nicotine damages blood vessels - and found, instead, that it boosts the growth of new blood vessels, lol. This means that it might be helpful to those who have Type I (NOT Type II) diabetes and suffer from chronic diabetic ulcers (at least one company is doing human trials for this with nicotine).

Nicotine may also be helpful as part of one's pain-management program.

BtW: Nicotine is found in a variety of foods that most people regularly consume including cauliflower, eggplant, potatoes, and tomatoes.

I am even more addicted to menthol than I am to nicotine. IDK if this is true for other people. If others who smoke menthol cigarettes, upon running out of their own and getting a non-menthol off of a friend, find that they simply do not like the flavor of the non-menthol cigarette - or if they still have that "I REALLY WANT A CIGARETTE NOW!" feeling that I have even while I am smoking a non-menthol? The reason I wonder is because I had breathing issues from a very young age (undoubtedly worsened by parents who smoked like there was some kind of profit from the activity :rolleyes3 ), and one of the things that got tried on me was having me use one of those Vick's Inhaler things. By the time I entered kindergarten (if not before) I always seemed to have one of them in my hand. I still would if I could find them around here... and they were free (lol).

Nicotine is not anywhere near as carcinogenic (if at all) as people generally believe. It's that "guilt by association" thing. Cigarettes contain nicotine and smoking cigarettes causes cancer, so nicotine must cause cancer... kind of thing. People seem to forget that there are about 7,000 other chemicals (many of which ARE carcinogenic) in cigarette smoke. It's not just filler and the occasional dead insect, either. There are all kinds of things added to these products which (arguably) improve the flavor and (almost certainly) increase the addictiveness of the product. Nicotine is addictive - but smoking is far more addictive.

Nicotine might be carcinogenic to one degree or other - but it's sort of like chasing a bottle of drain cleaner and then getting bit by a rattlesnake, lol. Yes, the rattlesnake venom coursing through your body is venomous... But that isn't what's just killed you ;) . You could remove the nicotine completely from cigarettes and people would continue to have the ability to commit suicide by the millions each year. The tar in a cigarette would see to that, if nothing else. The long term danger of nicotine (by itself) has been compared to the long term danger of caffeine. The jury is still out on that one, though. Even if it is, at some point, found to be wholly non-carcinogenic... it might still help "facilitate" certain forms of tumor growth (by helping to impede programmed cell death, et cetera). So I am not trying to state that nicotine is completely safe (only that it is not the demon it has been portrayed as being).

As to "nothing more than..." Well, you might be surprised. Sadly, nicotine - like the various cannabinoids - was vilified in the minds of many for a long time and, therefore, for a long time there wasn't much in the way of research into its potential benefits. That has changed somewhat over the last 25 years or so.

It'd make a good general-purpose insecticide (for other than the ones that actually feed on the tobacco plants) were it not for the whole Tobacco Mosaic Virus thing. Useless trivia fact #32,768: TMV was the first virus to be discovered. TMV is a robust virus - it can survive for many years in tobacco and is a thermostable virus (it can withstand 120°F - 50°C - for 30 minutes).

Nicotine is a cognitive enhancer that boosts attention, working memory, and more. About 90% of people who have schizophrenia smoke cigarettes as a form of self-medicating. (NOTE: This probably isn't a good thing, though, but this isn't the thread for a long discussion on schizophrenia.) Non-smokers are about three times more likely to die of Parkinson's Disease than cigarette smokers. Other "issues of the brain/mind" that might be lessened or otherwise helped by nicotine include depression, Tourette's Syndrome, ADHD, and Alzheimer's Disease.

There is overwhelming epidemiological evidence that smoking protects against ulcerative colitis, the risk of developing the disease being significantly lower in smokers than in non-smokers or former smokers; also, patients with ulcerative colitis who resume or start smoking often experience clinical improvement (OtOH, it appears to be bad for those suffering from Crohn's Disease).

Some researchers at (IIRC) Stamford University did a study to show that nicotine damages blood vessels - and found, instead, that it boosts the growth of new blood vessels, lol. This means that it might be helpful to those who have Type I (NOT Type II) diabetes and suffer from chronic diabetic ulcers (at least one company is doing human trials for this with nicotine).

Nicotine may also be helpful as part of one's pain-management program.

BtW: Nicotine is found in a variety of foods that most people regularly consume including cauliflower, eggplant, potatoes, and tomatoes.

Full of info as always TS reps+ for you

I quit smoking 2 months ago no aid and maaaaaan it is hard.

Oh yeah... tobacco.
I started my drug career with it. I stopped so many times with Smoking. But started again because of rolled joints with tobacco. In europe 90% to 95% of people smoke mixxed with tobacco... maybe 5 to 10% prefer to smoke pure.
I am again addicted to nicotine and going to quit it again. Right now I am using just backwoods blunt tobacco...somehow its smoother than usual tobacco.

Oh yeah... tobacco.
I started my drug career with it. I stopped so many times with Smoking. But started again because of rolled joints with tobacco. In europe 90% to 95% of people smoke mixxed with tobacco... maybe 5 to 10% prefer to smoke pure.
I am again addicted to nicotine and going to quit it again. Right now I am using just backwoods blunt tobacco...somehow its smoother than usual tobacco.
Buy a 1/4 pound of CBD and CBG flower, and mix that with your cannabis for your spliffs. Heck, even dry it out really good, grind it up, and pack your own ciggies with the cbd. Its the routine of the cigarette after you come to the conclusion you want to quit smoking them. Yeap, the nicotine is very addictive, but will and some form of healthier replacement works wonders.

Tellin ya, get the cbd flower,

I quit smoking for good around 7 or 8 years ago now by using those non-nicotine flavored vapor e-cigarettes. After a month or so I put them down as well and never looked back again.:thumb:

Best decision I ever made in my nearly sixty years of living on this planet.;)

I quit smoking for good around 7 or 8 years ago now by using those non-nicotine flavored vapor e-cigarettes. After a month or so I put them down as well and never looked back again.:thumb:

Best decision I ever made in my nearly sixty years of living on this planet.;)
congrates brother, keep rollin!

user00241.gif

I've been a cigarette smoker since my second year in high school. I'm 54 now. I've been addicted to them ever since, with two exceptions. Twice in the past I've quit smoking. Both times it lasted for about a year. Both times I stopped cold turkey and without Marijuana. I had no problem either time. I just stopped.

Over 20 years has passed since my last attempt at quiting failed. I am more addicted to nicotine than I have ever been. I find myself starting most days by coughing. There is no pleasure in the cigarettes. Its just constantly feeding my addiction.

I've had enough.

My plan is to stop on Sunday November the 9th. Originally I was going to wait until some time in December and then I thought about doing the New Years Resolution thing. But now I think the sooner the better before my enthusiasm has a chance to wane. But I've decided to wait until the election is over for a few days. If anything could drive me to smoke it would be the election.

I'm pretty sure that I have enough smoke on hand to see me through this. I'm not going to use any patches or other stop smoking aids. Marijuana will be my only aid. When I want to smoke I'll just fire up the bowl.

Having this thread will be motivation because I don't want to fail with all you witnesses.

A couple of other reasons for this thread is to encourage others to give it a try and perhaps join me. And for your support.

Anyone Want To Quit With Me?

:peace:
All the best bro, I've been smoking cigs for 20yrs, don't think I'll ever stop though, bit I try keep it to a minimum. Thing that's making it tough though is I'm fasting the ganja, I've tried quitting the cigs though about 10 times in last six months but yeah, given up quitting, just gonna keep it to minimum, I like smoking, that's my biggest problem.. missing the weed though, can't wait to be smoking some sweet green again..

i smoked cigarettes for almost 25 years and finally quit for good 2 years ago...
best thing i ever did...
alaska lady is quitting today as well, she will join you for sure...
do it brother, it will save your life!
did you know that cigarettes contain trace amounts of radio active particles?
i quit cold turkey, i think that's the best way to go, instead of using man made drugs...
the thing that got me through was smoking weed every time i wanted a cig...
the only downside is that you remain lethargic, smoking a LOT all day and night...
don't plan anything stressful or public for at least 2 weeks, then you will be detoxed...
every time you become irritated, follow these steps to save lives...
go to your safe place in your mind and count to ten slowly while taking deep breaths...
then smoke more weed...;)

i'm so proud of you brother, first quitting cigs, then going back to cali, cali...;)
one day at a time, one step at a time, you can and will achieve your goals!
I was checking out hypnosis. A friend I played poker with quit that way. Except whenever he came over to play poker with us we'd get him stoned and he'd forget he quit. A hypnotist near me in Portland was saying he had a 98% success rate and cost about $350 made the appointment and then lost my wallet. Another thing that helps is putting the rubber band around your wrist and every time you want a cigarette you snap it kind of an aversion therapy. Good luck to you

I smoked for ten years. I can't remember the ugliest thing I ever did in my life. The worst about smoking cigarettes is when you wake up in the morning and your first thought is not about what a great day it is, or what delicious breakfast you can have, but how to find a cigarette butt in the ashtray and finish it off . There was no such horror with cannabis... only positive.

user00241.gif

I've been a cigarette smoker since my second year in high school. I'm 54 now. I've been addicted to them ever since, with two exceptions. Twice in the past I've quit smoking. Both times it lasted for about a year. Both times I stopped cold turkey and without Marijuana. I had no problem either time. I just stopped.

Over 20 years has passed since my last attempt at quiting failed. I am more addicted to nicotine than I have ever been. I find myself starting most days by coughing. There is no pleasure in the cigarettes. Its just constantly feeding my addiction.

I've had enough.

My plan is to stop on Sunday November the 9th. Originally I was going to wait until some time in December and then I thought about doing the New Years Resolution thing. But now I think the sooner the better before my enthusiasm has a chance to wane. But I've decided to wait until the election is over for a few days. If anything could drive me to smoke it would be the election.

I'm pretty sure that I have enough smoke on hand to see me through this. I'm not going to use any patches or other stop smoking aids. Marijuana will be my only aid. When I want to smoke I'll just fire up the bowl.

Having this thread will be motivation because I don't want to fail with all you witnesses.

A couple of other reasons for this thread is to encourage others to give it a try and perhaps join me. And for your support.

Anyone Want To Quit With Me?

:peace:
Congrats on your decision! You have my complete backing. Nicotine sucks. Let's get stoned!

Back
Top Bottom