No Veg: Experimental Fun Grow

UrbanGardner

Hello all. I have to say this is my first journal so be kind to me. I wasn't going to do this journal, but my little experiment is starting to show unexpected results and would love to create an open discussion. I do not claim to be an expert and am relatively a newbie. I have been growing for just over 1 year now. This experimental grow will be harvest 5 and 6. Growing pot has been a lifelong obsession for me. I am just now "living the dream". I have a very modest setup:

Tent: @Mars Hydro 2x2
Lights: 2x @Mars Hydro SP150
Media: PRO-MIX HP MYCORRHIZAE + vermiculite for added silica
Nutes: @GeoFlora Nutrients
Amendments: @DYNOMYCO , Foxfarms BigBloom and Microbe Brew

Growing philosophy: My #1 rule is EASY. I don't like mixing chemicals, measuring ph or tds. Adjusting water chemistry etc. Organic is a must. But I don't want to mix my own soil or make teas. I found the setup I have creates great results. The @GeoFlora Nutrients with enough microbes are a great combination. I supplement between feedings with BigBloom occasionally. I add a dose of Microbe Brew to new media and up potting's for microbe diversity. I use @DYNOMYCO as instructed by the vendor.

My # 2 rule is light. My belief is you cannot have enough light. I added a 2nd sp150 to my tent. That gives me high PPFD from corner to corner of my 2x2 with no weak spots. I would probably replace those with a more powerful light if/when I add a second tent.

My # 3 rule is keeping the girls happy. See #1. I water with good ole Chicago tap. I water when the pots are almost dry. For me every 3-4 days. I add the Geoflora veg and flower dry supplement according to vendor instructions. I add some FFBB in between feedings if the girls look like they need it.

My Experiment:

With my limited growing space, I wanted to grow a no veg single cola plant. Just a quick small plant. I have seen photos of these cuties on the interweb. Little 1 foot buds in a solo cup. Then I thought why not 2. So, I sowed 1 Strawberry OG and 1 BOAX hemp seeds. I kept the seedlings under an old blurple light 24x7 for the first 2 weeks them moved to the tent.

Timeline:
Day 1: Seedlings popped same day 24/7 lighting
Week 2: moved to tent 12/12 light
Week 5: BOAX showed signs of flower
Week 7 Now: BOAX completed stretch growing buds. SOG no sign of flower.

The BOAX is exactly what I expected. SOG is showing no signs of flowering at all. I can see signs of pistils but no indication of flowering.

I must admit I overindulged my plants and put them in 3gal containers the original plan is over.

Strawberry OG Week 7
IMG_0045.jpg
IMG_0043.jpg
IMG_0044.jpg

Phase 2 of my experiment.
7 weeks into my no veg grow. The BOAX is in full flower mode. The SOG has not even started. This brings up several questions that have kept me up at night.

• Do photo strains act like autos in a no veg (12/12) situation??
  • How will no veg grow effect yield??
  • Since I don't plan on topping either plant. How will that effect yield??
Since I have 1 harvest and 1 upcoming harvest of the Strawberry OG I have a control. I grew a BOAX once and it turned out to be a male. Based on my past harvests I have not had huge yields averaging about 2.5 oz dried and cured.

With all that said. I would like to hear what you all think.

I have a near tragic story and lessoned learned to share. I went away for a weekend recently. Usually, I can go 3-4 days without water. My trip was extended to 6 full days. The little guys were unphased. The BOAX went through a growth spurt and really stretched. However, my larger plant also SOG was really stressed. Using Geoflora nutes you apply a top dressing every 2 weeks. It just so happens that cycle fell on my absence. When I got home she was starving!! She sucked all the available nutrition from the fan leaves to keep the buds alive. I promptly feed and watered her. She bounced right back. But this starvation event really sped up the aging process. I figure she has 4-5 weeks left. But she looks like she is ready to go. I checked the trichomes and see amber already. My plan is to keep a close eye out and let her continue as planned. The lesson learned is don't push the limits with Geoflora. I should have planned better.

Anyone ever have this happen??

• Do photo strains act like autos in a no veg (12/12) situation??
  • How will no veg grow effect yield??
  • Since I don't plan on topping either plant. How will that effect yield??
You are kind of mistaken about the no veg thing. They still veg. But because they don’t get as much light, getting only a 12 hour day instead of an 18+ hour day or whatever, they don’t get as big. Plants can count. They reach flowering maturity based on their age.

The other effect is that they will go into flowering at the first opportunity, once they get mature enough. Whereas with longer day/shorter nights lighting they are not going to flower till you switch the hours, obviously.

As for yield they will be smaller obviously and sometimes may not have enough time to develop a proper root system depending on the strain and environment and whatnot. But otherwise just normal plants, taking into consideration less growing hours before flower.

If your lighting is well spread, the effect on yield of not topping will generally be that your yield will be higher. But it depends on your lighting situation and some other stuff. If you need to shape the plant into a flatter profile to maximize the light on the canopy, than topping it may be better, but it’s going to slow it down and make it more bushy. Since these plants are not gonna have much time to grow anyway, I expect you wouldn’t gain.

You are kind of mistaken about the no veg thing. They still veg. But because they don’t get as much light, getting only a 12 hour day instead of an 18+ hour day or whatever, they don’t get as big. Plants can count. They reach flowering maturity based on their age.

The other effect is that they will go into flowering at the first opportunity, once they get mature enough. Whereas with longer day/shorter nights lighting they are not going to flower till you switch the hours, obviously.

As for yield they will be smaller obviously and sometimes may not have enough time to develop a proper root system depending on the strain and environment and whatnot. But otherwise just normal plants, taking into consideration less growing hours before flower.

If your lighting is well spread, the effect on yield of not topping will generally be that your yield will be higher. But it depends on your lighting situation and some other stuff. If you need to shape the plant into a flatter profile to maximize the light on the canopy, than topping it may be better, but it’s going to slow it down and make it more bushy. Since these plants are not gonna have much time to grow anyway, I expect you wouldn’t gain.
Thanks for the well stated answer. The flowering maturity makes sense. I would have to say you addressed all my thoughts. I am forging ahead. Lets see that happens

Week 10 (Day 70) Update

The stretch is over on SOG. The 12/12 lighting schedule produced short compact plants. The BOAX buds are starting to get fat and sticky. SOG is still lagging developing a lot slower than past grows. Side note: The last batch of SOG finished 2 weeks early and early smoke tests indicate fantastic results. :yummy:

The girls are due for a GeoFlora Bloom feeding this week. That will happen on the next watering day.

IMG_0077.jpg

BOAX
IMG_0079.jpg

SOG
IMG_0078.jpg

I just want to showcase what a genetic freak my Strawberry OG is. Not only is this plant a runt. She started out slow and stunted. She has a large node on the trunk. Not sure if this was caused by me doing HST (Kushman chiropathy) or just her freak nature. I pulled multiple deformed leaves off her as well. She has some red stems and some stems red on the top and green on bottom. I have experienced other anomalies with her sisters. One sister had a variegation on one fan leaf. Another sister matured freaky fast. I will say though. This is some badass weed!! An open jar will fill the room with fresh strawberries. The mental effects are heavy sativa. I like the way this SOG is developing. Her buds are getting fat and hard. I am hoping that the lack of stature will be made up by exceptional bud.

IMG_0087.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0089.jpg

Back
Top Bottom