Noob Questions - PPM and Advanced Nutes in soil

Skicat

Long time listener, first time caller.....

First off, after lurking for a very long time...you guys are awesome!!! :circle-of-love:

I have 4 girls started right now. 3 are 8 days old today while the other is 1 day. (I started counting the days when they lost their helmets and green met light) I may start a journal......

Q1- My tap water is coming out at 280 PPM! Will that be okay for my little ones?

Q2- In using a soil such as FF Happy Frog, I would want to maintain around 6.5 PH, correct? How would I use, or could I use the Advanced nutrients PH Perfect as I see that they PH automatically to around 5.8. ??
(currently I'm planning to use the FF trio with the FFHF soil)

Thanks for any replies and info...

:Namaste:

Hi Skicat.

Welcome to the 420 Magazine community of members! :welcome:

I'm hesitant to say this only because there are admittedly some potential variables, but typically speaking - Yes, your tap water will be just fine.

Also, while this statement may cause a little controversy, worrying about PH when growing in soil is not necessary. Over time, or with dramatic changes, PH could become an issue, but since your growing in a commercial soil, which has already been treated for PH balance, your tap water and nutrient mixture will be close enough to ideal.

Be well and happy growing!

Your water sounds borderline to me. It really comes down to what makes up those 280 PPM.

Most potting mixes are already PH adjusted AND buffered. I don't bother adjusting my water/feed solution, but my water is at 7.0. What is the PH of your water? Most nutrients are acidic so they get things close enough w/o any additional messing around. Mine ends up 6.3 to 6.5 just from the nute's. Remember to measure PH after adding nute's if you want to adjust further.

... What is the PH of your water?

My water comes out at 7.0 as well. I watered last night for the first time and PH'd to 6.5 (no nutes.) I'm thinking that I wont be adding nutes for at least 3 weeks from what I've read regarding this soil.

Major, what nutes do you use?

edit to add: I really like the idea of not having to F around with PH.

Both TanR & Major offer excellent wisdom which i would largely agree upon :thumb:

Knowing that the soil/compost is nutrient rich for several weeks i'd more likely not add veg nutrients as this may cause nutrient burn in the early stages of growth, if so more to the last few weeks of vegging perhaps 1/2 rate application but more than likely looking at full dosage when flowering time comes.

If using a fresh batch of soil/compost loaded with nutrients, i just use this mainly micro nutrients very low N/P/K through out vegging, will add veg nutrients towards the last couple of weeks tho.

PICT000161.JPG
PICT000747.JPG

Major, what nutes do you use?

I'm not loyal ... yet. I've used Gen Organic, Gen Hydro, and Earth Juice, so far, as well as Doc's HBB Kit ingredients. I'm currently playing with my own soil mix that is amended and I "just add water". It makes its own sauce. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom