Northern Lights Auto: Budget LED & First Grow

It won't hurt them at all to do it now since you aren't physically cutting anything. Topping looks like it would be a couple days out yet if you are going to do it too. I'd top around the 4th node. Actually, if you start a little ponytailing before topping, the undergrowth will be more ready to take over when you snip off the top.

Day 16: Poor pinch... crap!

Well crap... I got a bit excited this AM and topped Moss, my best looking plant.... than I got a bit carried away and tried to top Favre but accidentally had pinched the node below, and topped him at the 3rd node... I hadn't read your message yet... I'm a bit choked at myself right now.

Today I will ponytail right after their nap....

I would avoid topping especially in first grow. Autos have a limited life span. I'll assume the plants have struggled a bit already and more shock will limit growth. And since you are using coco the plants may endure further stress due to inexperience with nutes etc. What you are doing may work out well idk but it is a good learning experience for all.

I would avoid topping especially in first grow. Autos have a limited life span. I'll assume the plants have struggled a bit already and more shock will limit growth. And since you are using coco the plants may endure further stress due to experience with nutes etc. What you are doing may work out well idk but it is a good learning experience for all.

I have one plant that's struggling the other two were doing well. Moss is a stud, Favre I pretty much ruined today, and Peterson i won't top as he's struggled from day one.

At the end of the day I will have 1 topped at 4th, 1 topped at 3rd, and one I won't top at all. This will be a great learning experience for me, and hopefully someone else too.

:Namaste:

As far as nutes are concerned I'm sticking Advanced Nutrients line because it's made for Cannabis, and I don't have to guess with cutting it. I'm using their mobile app, and following the recommended dosage of each nutrient. I figured going by doctors orders the first time shouldn't be too big of a mistake.
I

As far as nutes are concerned I'm sticking Advanced Nutrients line because it's made for Cannabis, and I don't have to guess with cutting it. I'm using their mobile app, and following the recommended dosage of each nutrient. I figured going by doctors orders the first time shouldn't be too big of a mistake.
I
AN has an app huh? I did not know that.

Day 17: Second day of pig tails

Well all 3 plants have been topped, and my hope is that I can just let the, go without a ton of lst. In the meantime, I have begun pig tailing them for 4 hours a day (based on the recommendation of Farside). I have already noticed a change in the amount of growth below the plants canopy.

As you can see in the pics, none, of that growth was noticeable until yesterday's session. While it would have come anyway, the pony tailing was like gas on the fire.

Moss:
IMG_0035154.JPG

Peterson:
IMG_0036157.JPG

Favre:
IMG_0037150.JPG

But dat smell doh!!!! Ohhhh weeeeee!

Looking good. You'll still want to bowl train as they get bigger to pull the plants apart so light can get down in the center of the plant. Bowl Training is a LST method where you use pipe cleaners to pull each of the branches out towards the edge of the pot. As they grow you'll reposition the pipe cleaners every couple days to further the process. Looking at my last grow, I started that around day 21, but it will depend on the size of the plant.

Looking good. You'll still want to bowl train as they get bigger to pull the plants apart so light can get down in the center of the plant. Bowl Training is a LAST method where you use pipe cleaners to pull each of the branches out towards the edge of the pot. As they grow you'll reposition the pipe cleaners every couple days to further the process.

At what point in thee growth (based on those pics) do you think I should start?

I edited the original post and added a little info as far as when I did mine (day 21). Look at my Step by Step, page 9, post 126 for the size my plants were when I started. Sorry there aren't good pics of the process.

Day 20: Feedings!

Sitting down enjoying a nice cold beer (fresh out of smoke), High Life of course! So I thought I would update this journal, and keep things on track.

Today was a feeding day, and here is what was on the menu. Everything mixed into 2L of water;

Advanced Nutrients:
Micro: 4ml
Grow: 4ml
Bloom: 4ml
B-52: 4ml
Voodoo Juice: 4ml
CalMag: 3ml

I have been ponytailing every second day, which seems to help. I'd really like to see a bit of stretch before flower, but I don't think they will.

Moss:
IMG_0039147.JPG
IMG_0038149.JPG

Favre:
IMG_0043124.JPG
IMG_0042133.JPG

Peterson:
IMG_0041126.JPG
IMG_0040136.JPG

Let me have those thoughts!

Day 21: Screw DIY.... new lights!

Growing autos and having such a small window to develop them, frankly was killing me! I couldn't stand the thought of being limited by my lights.

I found 2 300w Mars Hydro LED on Craigslist for $150...

I'm stoked!

IMG_0044128.JPG

On the bright side my DIY rig is now my new garage light....

Day 21: Screw DIY.... new lights!

Growing autos and having such a small window to develop them, frankly was killing me! I couldn't stand the thought of being limited by my lights.

I found 2 300w Mars Hydro LED on Craigslist for $150...

I'm stoked!

IMG_0044128.JPG

On the bright side my DIY rig is now my new garage light....

Yasssss welcome to the blurple side! We're twin Mars Hydro buddies now mate! I'm sure you'll love them. Nice score.

I'm rocking 4 of the old model Mars 300's. They'll get the job done. In my mind, they're the best value light out there. I bought 2 of mine on Amazon and the next 2 on eBay.

Back
Top Bottom