Not adjusting pH organic grow

Freeman0121

420 Member
Right basically i have read this article by growell and it says not to bother adjusting ph whatso ever when growing organically, they say they ph adjuster is bad for the plant so i really dont know what to do, i am using canna proffesional soil and the biobizz organic nutes, my water is around 8 ph after letting chlorine etc evapourate, the ph level is around 4,5 when nutes added but yet they are still telling me not to adjust ph? Im due a flush and dont know if i need to get ph adjusted or not???

I had my plants go on nute lock due to the same nutrients Biobizz makes the solution very acidic. To the point I had a pH of 5.5 on the soil and my plants were suffering because of it. I now pH my nutes solution to 6,5

Sent from my iPad using 420

iv just ordered canna ph down organic as it lets the micro herd in your soil survive, think its citric acid also my water is 7.7ph and i use biobizz nutes but they never take my solution any lower than 7.2 so never bother with ph up. maybe its something to do with having hard or soft water.

We grow organic but do check ph as we have big swings in our water that we use .. Just as you pointed out some additives even organic will ph off the charts ..

We grow organic but do check ph as we have big swings in our water that we use .. Just as you pointed out some additives even organic will ph off the charts ..

Yeah you check your ph,, but they are saying its bad to adjust ph full stop, the soil buffers this? Why woukd you check ph if you cant change it lol...

You shouldn't worry too much about your water pH and we don't recommend pH adjustment of water for soil/compost plants. Many soil growers still make the mistake of adjusting their pH when growing in soil but there really is no need - you could even be damaging your plant and its potential yield. The nutrient availability pH range is much wider in this organic environment than in hydroponics and the introduction of acidic pH adjusting liquids into these environments is neither necessary or desirable. Seee???

Ok mate thanks for help i have been phing but ive got a problem /lock out and ive been advised by my local shop not to adjust ph i dont know what to do!

Ok mate thanks for help i have been phing but ive got a problem /lock out and ive been advised by my local shop not to adjust ph i dont know what to do!

Flush with tap water and the last few liters of every flush do it with RO water.
That might clean the lock up and not leave your soil too alkaline

I understand why some ppl prefer to trust the medium to fully balance the pH going in. But that depends on what is the soil composed of, and how hard is you water and what it's pH is.
If like in my case, my water is very soft 60ppm but alkaline 7,7-8,1. And my soil is a mix of light biobizz soil1/2, 2/5coco coir 1/5 worm castings and 1/5 Perlite. When I add biobizz nutes especially in the flower stage the pH drops to 4,5 5,0 in the mix.
And at that pH not much gets absorbed by the plant, building up your medium yet not feeding the plant.
And the more I fed the more the soil got acidic and full of nutes. Leading to a bigger deficiency and total lock.
So I guess if you can have a different soil with a different buffering capacity and therefore not need to pH.

Way too many variables IMHO to make blanket statements like "always" and "never", my tap water is around 7.0 but my water I buy by the 5 gal watercooler jug varies between 5.0-6.0, so adding same Nutes to each water is going to be a different number. If the PH of the water coming out of the bottom of your pot is in the PH range of Nute Lockout then I would think you wouldn't get much nutrients to the plant, soil buffers the PH but hard for me to believe it is buffered "instantly". As both Soil and Water not a constant variable for everyone, even probably Soil can vary from bag to bag or batch to batch anyway. IMHO Soil more forgiving so it has a wider range of PH (window) than Hydro it can be fed and still do what it needs to do. To me it is like saying ____ type lights need to be 14.35" from tops of the plant, it varies from light to light of even same type along with other variables like temp/setup of room/humidity/gravitational pull of the moon, etc.. ;), If you don't bother worrying about PH let us know how it goes for you, albeit we could all have different results due to all the variables.

Mmm ye this subject again ah !

I'll get back with ya tomorrow about some stuff... how ever soil grows are self buffering in PH before & after feeding nutrients this may take some 24 hours to observe with a rather cheap soil PH probe !

Mmm ye this subject again ah !

I'll get back with ya tomorrow about some stuff... how ever soil grows are self buffering in PH before & after feeding nutrients this may take some 24 hours to observe with a rather cheap soil PH probe !

Isn't that buffering dependent on the composition of such soil?
Shouldn't a soil with more perlite and coco coir be less buffering to pH?

Email from biobizz refarding ph ( found on a google search)

Question: After adding the nutes to the water, what to do?

Quote " BioBizz says if your ph is between 7.0 and 7.3 it's just perfect. Don't change anything! Feed it to the plants and the soil will buffer the rest. "
Ok. I believe that it works just fine like that as I was never measuring ph.
STILL the question is: what would happen if you were using organic ph-down like canna ph down or earthjuice to drop this 7.3 nutrient solution to 6.3 from the start, before feeding? Would this be counter-productive for getting the right ph or actually help the soil getting it right faster? It's hard to tell because these ph meters in soil can't always be really trusted and opinions vastly differ.

Answer: Again, a very good question. First of all: always measure the pH, measuring = knowledge. Now here is how Biobizz works:

Our soil has a pH of 6,1-6,2. This is the perfect pH for using our liquid products. When you water the plants, the Biobizz products start to decompose, with the help of the micro-life in the soil, the organic material breaks down and the pH always stay naturally at 6,1-6,2. So if the water you give has a pH of for instance 7,0-7,3, the micro-life will ensure the pH in the soil will drop to the desired 6,1-6,2. This is why you never had problems, because you let nature do it’s work.

Now, the micro-life can lower the pH to 6,1-6,2, but if you feed water with a pH lower then 6,1-6,2 you can have a problem. The micro-life can lower the pH, but not increase it. So basically: as long as your water, mixed with Biobizz is above 6,2-6,3 ( give it a bit of margin ) you are just fine. Of course, when you have tab water with a pH of 9,0 ( which happens ), you will have an issue anyway. Try to avoid the use of pH correction products. Try to rely on the micro-life to do the work.Non-organic pH products will damage the micro-life we rely on so much.

Thanks for reply lads.. listend to my local shop flushed with non phd water... spoke to bio bizz they said i need atleast ph 6.1 even it i have to use ph+ none organic... so im due a feed today so will feed with correct ph water and biobizz nutes... this is my
First grow i have left the one plant too long i think it is rather late now and yellowness all way up plant and on some buds on one plant

Isn't that buffering dependent on the composition of such soil?
Shouldn't a soil with more perlite and coco coir be less buffering to pH?

First of all i've never PH corrected my nutrients even tho i have used the full BioBizz line of stuff which i still use their soil with salt/synthetic nutrients (not PH adjusted) these days & grow just fine.

In my own belief if the soil/compost is PH adjusted between PH 6 & 7 ya just fine to which is the mildly acidic range of PH where most plants are happy growing being involved horticulture by trade i grow 10's of thousands of plants every year just flowers/shrubs 'n' tree's etc, we use salt based nutrients which are not PH adjusted, i even mix up the soil blends myself which is pretty basic most of the time.

Coco coir, well in general it is classed as inert growing medium for some reason & in the mid range of acidic PH pushing low end as it is inert it doesn't do much so this why peeps PH correct their nutrients for the medium just like water based hydro or clay pebble, perlite grow methods.

My apologies if this is no longer relevant...I didn't have time to read all, so I skimmed.

If you want to go organic and need to adjust down, you could try the crystals I listed below. These are pure vitamin C and do not contain Phosphoric acid...which may be a problem in organic grows.

This bottle is a 2 lifetime supply for me. I can take 1 single crystal out of this container and cut 1/4 of the crystal off and put it into my water, which is naturally a 7.1...and it will drag a gallon down to 6.5 or below.

Cut and paste this into the search bar at th"E BAY".

Earth Juice Natural Down .8 lb

I am on my second grow with a few plants that I have stopped adjusting ph and am having very good luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom