Nutrient burn or defficiency?

DexterC

Hey guys!

Hope you are well. So I have this little girl which is a Dark Phoenyx by the Green House Seed Company and she is making me scratch my head for the past week.
She's in a completely organic medium, amended with worm castings, bone meal and compost in a peat moss base.
At first it looked like a very slow progressing Nitrogen deficiency, turning slightly yellow but then leaves began to turn crispy.

Interestingly enough, I have another White Widow from the same company in the exact same medium and she is doing pretty well. She got some on the tips as well but very slight. I was also told by one of you guys not long ago that White Widow is quite a hungry genetic, and since this one seems to be fine and considering the Dark Phoenix has the leaves crispy make me think that it might be nutrient burn but I want to be sure.

What's your opinion guys?

EDIT: After a bit more research, I believe this might actually be a Potassium (K) deficiency. Since Bone meal is rich in Phosphorus and Nitrogen but has 0 Potassium as the manufacturer says, it could be that I was supposed to add some blood and bone meal or ashes there when I mixed the soil and the plants were fine so far because they had enough from compost and worm castings. I'm pretty confused by now as I never had this before so please help!

Dark Phoenix:
20220208_231630.jpg

White Widow
20220208_231649.jpg

Hey guys!

Hope you are well. So I have this little girl which is a Dark Phoenyx by the Green House Seed Company and she is making me scratch my head for the past week.
She's in a completely organic medium, amended with worm castings, bone meal and compost in a peat moss base.
At first it looked like a very slow progressing Nitrogen deficiency, turning slightly yellow but then leaves began to turn crispy.

Interestingly enough, I have another White Widow from the same company in the exact same medium and she is doing pretty well. She got some on the tips as well but very slight. I was also told by one of you guys not long ago that White Widow is quite a hungry genetic, and since this one seems to be fine and considering the Dark Phoenix has the leaves crispy make me think that it might be nutrient burn but I want to be sure.

What's your opinion guys?

EDIT: After a bit more research, I believe this might actually be a Potassium (K) deficiency. Since Bone meal is rich in Phosphorus and Nitrogen but has 0 Potassium as the manufacturer says, it could be that I was supposed to add some blood and bone meal or ashes there when I mixed the soil and the plants were fine so far because they had enough from compost and worm castings. I'm pretty confused by now as I never had this before so please help!

Dark Phoenix:
20220208_231630.jpg

White Widow
20220208_231649.jpg
Hey @DexterC Sorry your having an issue.
Hope you are well my friend.
How long did you cook your soil before you planted your ladies. :Namaste:
It takes some time before all the nutrients become available to your ladies.
And your mix may not contain everything necessary for her.
Different strains have semi different nutritional needs.
It's not nutrient burn.
I believe it's a deficiency due to lack of available proper nutrients.
I believe something like Mega Crop added to the top of the soil would benefit her nutritional needs.

Stay safe
Bill

Hey @DexterC Sorry your having an issue.
Hope you are well my friend.
How long did you cook your soil before you planted your ladies. :Namaste:
It takes some time before all the nutrients become available to your ladies.
And your mix may not contain everything necessary for her.
Different strains have semi different nutritional needs.
It's not nutrient burn.
I believe it's a deficiency due to lack of available proper nutrients.
I believe something like Mega Crop added to the top of the soil would benefit her nutritional needs.

Stay safe
Bill
Hey Bill, thanks for this! The soil started cooking a few days before planting the seeds, I believe it was depleted actually . I've top-dressed with amendments that have potassium as well and gave them a compost tea. Fortunately the progression stopped and they seem to be happy. I got away with only 2 leaves affected but I just dealt with the first K defficiency, so next time I'll know to add more of that to the soil mix. I'd call it a win in the end, they are putting new growth so I'd say they are recovered. Looks like I panicked for nothing

Hey Bill, thanks for this! The soil started cooking a few days before planting the seeds, I believe it was depleted actually . I've top-dressed with amendments that have potassium as well and gave them a compost tea. Fortunately the progression stopped and they seem to be happy. I got away with only 2 leaves affected but I just dealt with the first K defficiency, so next time I'll know to add more of that to the soil mix. I'd call it a win in the end, they are putting new growth so I'd say they are recovered. Looks like I panicked for nothing
Looks like to me its the first signs of root bound occurring. Just way the edge of the leafs are begging to curl in turn yellowish. It can be mixed up with a nute def, or nitrogen problem.

What is your soil mix? Do you have a recipe for it? Did you add aeration? How old is the plant?

Looks like a small container for a good size plant, how often you watering? Swear it looks like root bound specially if you just toped dressed it.. so thats even less of what was in there in the first place for your base. People on here always over look root bound. Cannabis is very quick with growing roots and being pushed for root growth with hard pots.

What is your soil mix? Do you have a recipe for it? Did you add aeration? How old is the plant?
Vegan4life brings up good point with these questions for @DexterC . The plant is still looking healthy and with a minimum of work it will be back on its way and any nutrient deficiency will be a memory.

A soil mix of "...a completely organic medium, amended with worm castings, bone meal and compost in a peat moss base.(msg #1)" sounds just like a typical mix which would work great for houseplants or some flowers in a pot on the porch. But Marijuana plants are fast growers and heavy feeders and the soil will need several more amendments for healthy growth.

The base mix is 3 parts and after those 3 have been added then come the amendments. The peat moss adds bulk, is light & fluffy and reduces compaction, allows for good root growth and is good for water retention. The compost and worm castings provide the organics needed to get everything going and gives the micro-organisms a source of food so they can provide the nutrients for the plant. Compost is not really an amendment when first building a soil. It is necessary step. Missing is the aeration--a good soil needs some air space between particles. Oxygen is good for living things and that includes the roots of the plant.

Bone meal is an amendment that takes a long time to break down. Some is available right away but most of it will take months to become ready for the plant to use. Other amendments that should be considered include Kelp Meal, Crustacean Meal or Shrimp Meal, Neem Meal and a source of additional minerals.

Im with @cbdhemp808 a little brown tips down low likely just needs more soil.

I usally cut them off anyways also they will do that down low because not enough lighting and the plant wont keep leaves that are under performing.

OP dont over think and over stress. Look at the plant not just 1 or 2 leaves.

Also touching them I do as little of that as possible and keep my hands clean wash after touching one plant before touching another if you have to touch. You think it doesn't matter, it does.

Back
Top Bottom