Old Biddie Growing 1st Plant

Well, if they ever legalize it in my state - I assume that will alleviate at least SOME of the paranoia! ;)

I'm very hesitant about going for anything crazy strong, since I'm such a lightweight. (I've always felt I was on the strong side of crazy without any additional pushes.) We grew some shrooms a couple of years ago. I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole - but my husband did. Evidently, he didn't feel particularly great and I know that watching him made me paranoid 2nd hand! ;)

Just hoping my baby (errr...the plant) matures by frost. Really don't want to have to drag its big ass back in the house and attempt to provide lighting at this point.

Hi WW - really nice plant you have going there! .

Welcome to the wonderful world of 420! This is an awesome community and overtime you'll find all the help you could possibly want here!

I'm not one of the resident experts, but I have aspirations!, and this site is a great place to learn (I have a couple of successful outdoor grows behind me.)

When it comes to seeds, most folk round here recommend exploring the site sponsors. They're all pretty good and they're doing the awesome job of supporting 420magazine and therefore the promotion of sensible, informed MJ practices and policy. Many have good stealth options too.

And regarding the trichs, cloudy, amber, clear etc., I don't think you want to let them get too much Amber. Too much Amber will lead to a more narcotic effect AFAIK. Most people who like the kind of affect you describe, aim for 10% amber, sometimes less. It's a tricky balance deciding when to chop, As you don't want to go to early either. Best advice is to get a jewellers loupe so you can look up cloclose at the trichs on the actual buds to check how many ambers you have. I don't think you want mostly ambers tho.

You could always take a little early, and leave a little to go heaps longer and test things out...

You got this! It's going to be great just consuming you're own grown! ..

What a lovely post - and from a fellow female as well! (Not to dis the males here - who have been absolutely awesome!) These forums have kicked ass - as opposed to assorted forums for assorted interests that I've subscribed to in the past.) Just nice to hear from a fellow wench! ;)

Ah, exploring the site sponsors makes sense. I'll check them out. I kind of stumbled upon this site & forums after doing a ton of googling assorted weed stuff - so I haven't really given them a chance yet.

I've got a magnifier - which I assume is similar to a jeweler's loupe - which I bought to take a good look at wild mushroom characteristics. I have a cataract - which I need to deal with at some point - so even my up close stuff is a little shaky. ;) I looked at some trichomes awhile ago and swore they were milky. Now, at second look - they look clear. Oye vey. So, along with my trichome peeping, I'm also watching the hairs - which are definitely still mostly white. HOPING I can harvest at frost - since I'm really not looking forward to dragging the beast back inside and attempting to provide enough light.

Hoping it all doesn't go to hell, but have certainly enjoyed the ride - in any case. :)

Thanks for your post, Amy - very much appreciated!

Thank you Pharmgreen. Glad you enjoyed the post - even if it was a newbie circus. ;)

I had been watering Precious with straight up water for the last couple of weeks - but just as a regular "watering". After the atrocity of its stench, I absolutely flooded / flushed the pot twice. (In case it was the TigerBloom making the nastiness.)

So....this evening - flushed again. Ran my fingers over the sticky-ass buds and was left with a rather pleasant scent. Not quite what I thought that growing weed should smell like - but still - what do I know? Smells kinda sweet, citrusy, piney. Still don't know if that's what it's supposed to smell like - but at least it no longer grosses me out.

Hopefully out of the stench-woods.

Now onto harvesting & curing crises! ;)

Citrusy and piney are all normal smells. Especially when buds are formed. Keep up the good work.

The change in weather will hopefully convince her to mature faster. Usually when the temps start to decrease a little, the plant will hurry up knowing that winter is coming. Just keep a close eye on the trichs, the pistils can fool you into thinking their ready or even not ready. You got this!

Hi Amy - thanks for checking in!

Think I'm harvesting next week-end, although I think that I'm taking down the central bud today since it has a quarter sized brown spot which is dismaying me. Looks dried out, but not sure what the problem is. I know I started flushing too soon, so it hasn't had nutrients in awhile - fan leaves all yellowing. Not an over-abundance of amber trichs per my untrained eye, so I don't want to rush. I'm definitely leaning more to a body than head high.

Being a newbie, I waited until the last minute to realize that I need some supplies like decent gloves, small scissors, etc. So I Amazoned those up this week-end. Sheesh....live and learn I guess. :)

Well, guess the appropriate tools will have to wait until next year. After pulling the main bud - I realized that several of the other dense buds had the same issue. So she's been sliced and diced and hanging. Pulled out the brown spots - hoping that does the trick. First few buds were manicured nicely.....then it got old - so others have at least a rudimentary leaf trimming. Now I'm a sticky mess.

But want to research best drying techniques before I call it a day. She's hanging in multiple pieces out on the deck from a wooden clothes drying rack. It's going to be unusually hot & humid here for the next several days - and considering the theoretical bud rot - want to move it into as friendly an environment as I can.

Wasn't expecting things to happen / go downhill so fast! She was so lush and beautiful! Can't imagine how growers of multiple plants cope!

Well you grew a pretty awesome plant .. & it'll only get better and easier from here!

We never saw pics of those brown spots did we? From description I was speculating some rot maybe - but without pics there's no way to know. Did you photograph any?

Good luck on the dry n cure. I'm sure you going to have plenty of lovely 'I made it myself!' bud to smoke for sometime ...

I look forward to the smoke report!

Yes, they looked like dry spots, but when I dug into them, they were brown & gooey. I pulled them out - hoping they don't affect the rest of the bud.

No, I didn't photograph them - I was in too much of a panic. But they were slimy brown when I dug into them. Damn you, Precious!

Holy Weed'a'Rama you got going!

Can you direct me to a post where you talk about your indoor lights? Last year we made do with a "chicken heat lamp" and made out okay, but since Vermont is legalizing a couple of plants, I plan to step my lighting up a bit. Thank youo!

Might be easier to just ask what you need help with.

There's many lights for growing. You can keep a plant alive with a curly cfl light bulb and then you can give them real power with high end led or hps. Mars hydro makes very reasonably priced lights as well. But if you have any questions fire away

Back
Top Bottom