Old Biddie Growing 1st Plant

Well, being completely uneducated on the subject, let me just ask - what is your favorite?

I'll only be growing probably 3 plants inside - up until I can toss them out on the deck. So looking for that kind of coverage. I'm guessing that I would need something at the seedling stage that will cover all and hopefully avoid leggy-ness (a big problem for me with florescent and grow bulbs in florescent fixtures with my vegetable type seedlings). Then I assume I would probably need 3 individual lights for when "the kids" get too big for their starter area.

We have no need to hide the plants, so doesn't need to be anything stealthy. Hoping for good sturdy plants, but don't want to spend a fortune on lights either.

Like I said, we did okay last year with our 1 plant with just a plain old chicken heat lamp - but the plant was already well started for us.

Specific suggestions more than welcome! And thanks for helping a newbie out. :)

Hey Wicked! Nice to see you around .

It's daunting looking at lights with little to no idea isn't?! I did an indoor grow last year that was inspired by a MarsHydro300 being on sale. There's much better lights around now though. Pricewise Mars and Growant are perhaps your best bet amongst the sponsors. And SweetSue has just finished showcasing the growant smallest panel and it did a super job in a 2'x2'. Only one plant though so not enough for you, you'd probably need one of the bigger panels. The thing that impressed me most about that light is the super low draw from the wall for the power. Rooster is your best bet for Mars Hydro recommendations. I get the impression he really knows that range and he grows some super plants.

For seedlings, I've been researching this, I'm discovering that cfls nice and close, about 4" above the soil are the way to go. Sounds like your planning to just early veg them indoor and the finish outside, is that right? I'll be curious to see how that goes, I've been contemplating doing that myself next season.

I'm looking forward to following your next growing journey...

Thank you Amy! :)

Yes, this reminds me of trying to find "awesome, yet inexpensive" aquarium lights. SO much research - SO little satisfaction! ;)

I will check out both of the sponsors that you suggested. While I brag about how well our (started) plant did under the chicken lamp last year, seed starting is much different. I have never had satisfactory "regular" vegetables growing from seed. They generally look & perform like crap.

Yes on the early veg in and then boot their asses out the door.

Thanks so much for your feedback.

I've shortcutted your grow journal to read when I'm not feeling completely work-fried. :)

Back
Top Bottom