Old School Answers & New Ideas

Just depends who you know I think, and what head grower works for what dispensary. When I hear people say dispensary weed sucks it’s just one more BS example of online confirmation bias and usually said in an echo chamber with likeminded ppl who just say, “oh yeah I agree, 100%”

I’ve tried weed from dispensaries that crushes homegrown weed (my own included). You can definitely get shitty/ mediocre weed from dispensaries, but you can also get shitty/ mediocre weed from homegrowers. I’ll use the jungle boys as an example - those guys have so many haters that talk shit online. I know some of the haters personally, and it cracks me up because their weed absolutely blows compared to what JB produces (and they’re only growing a few plants whereas JB are growing tens of thousands/ more). That’s not to say I think jungle boys are the best growers or that home-growers can’t be better, I’m just trying to make the point that so many ppl talk so much shit like their weed is so good...or that dispensaries are so bad... and it’s just not reality. Saying dispensaries suck compared to personal grows is a very narrow minded viewpoint IMO.

Yep only difference is I know what is in the stuff I grow so it's my preference, but Oregon is pretty tight on what they allow to be used far as chemicals go and strict testing required for anything that goes into a Dispensary. I buy from Dispensary when I see a Strain I want to try or just need different things (as I like a variety and change it up every day or two to a different strain, and usually I only grow a couple strains at a time as they all have different nutrient likes/dislikes (and even same Strain can be different likes/dislikes between two different plants) so I rarely have more than three different strains on-hand of my own stuff). Such competition and all sides of the coin on opinions have to take things with a grain of salt to a point ie: hydro/soil better than soil/hydro, organic/non organic, micro grow/macro grow, HPS/LED, etc..etc... ;)

Yep only difference is I know what is in the stuff I grow so it's my preference, but Oregon is pretty tight on what they allow to be used far as chemicals go and strict testing required for anything that goes into a Dispensary. I buy from Dispensary when I see a Strain I want to try or just need different things (as I like a variety and change it up every day or two to a different strain, and usually I only grow a couple strains at a time as they all have different nutrient likes/dislikes (and even same Strain can be different likes/dislikes between two different plants) so I rarely have more than three different strains on-hand of my own stuff). Such competition and all sides of the coin on opinions have to take things with a grain of salt to a point ie: hydro/soil better than soil/hydro, organic/non organic, micro grow/macro grow, HPS/LED, etc..etc... ;)
Hear you on that one, I try to avoid Eagle 20 OG and Forbid Haze myself :)

What type of weed do you like Stem (chems, OGs, exotics)?

That will help determine a good breeder for you.

I'm into nice flavors, not gas flavors/scents. But I just want to say I agree with what you said before about ppl jumping on the hate train etc. Idk how anyone could talk shit about jb as they produce straight dank on a mass scale lol. As for dispensaries, my experience comes from here in Ontario, Canada. I don't speak for any others. Here they are garbage, for sure, 100%. I've seen countless strains come out of these crap holes.

Tough topic to jump in on due to most of it being personal preference. I grow regular seed and regular seed only. I believe mother nature has done a fairly good job on her end. I have grown many fem seeds, and have only had one not herm on me and that was from Sannie's. All were from good breeders or so I thought. For me half to fun is growing them out and hunting if I find a lady I like she will get cloned and stay around. As I like to say there are many roads to dank, everyone has a different opinion on things and I just take the little bits of info I can use in my grow and filter the rest. Personally, most of the stuff I run is clone or private breeder. I run a 9 plant perpetual grow 4 strains atm all fed the same start to finish. If something doesn't like my mix I will usuall just cull that strain, too many out there to let one drive me crazy. Good topic with a lot of right answers.
Peace OG

Genetics eh, so what is your take on reg Vs fem seeds? Why is it that currently the dankest strains in the world are only in reg form? Is it that the breeder doesn't want to put in the time to make a stable fem? Or is it that reg seeds produce a better product?

Mostly it is the time to make a stable strain. It is not near as easy as it sounds. Mostly it is because it is so much easier to make hybrids with true males then it is to reverse females on a large scale.

The dankest shit out there is clone only stuff. Those perfect plants people have found. F-1 hybrids are probably the best way to find one. Feminized seeds have a lot more genetic info locked in. While the majority may be good they don't have as much chance for greatness that a F-1 hybrid does.

could you quantify this statement, or is it just a widely held belief or mythology ?

"dank" is kind of subjective as well. thc content ? terpene amounts ? trichome production ? a combination of factors ?

i know people that only grow reg seeds, some that only grow fem, and one that only breeds their own seeds. there is not a huge difference between them, but they all grow their own way, different lights, nutes, etc.

one possible explanation is the genetics may be landrace, or closer to landrace, than the examples you compare. another may be the seeds you are referring to could be the early results of breeding programs. it likely takes a couple generations for breeders to move their strains from reg to fem and auto, which could explain the difference.

in for interest sake regardless.

Quantify? Really? can't we just use normal words. LMAO

Dank like quantify is only a word. It means different things to different people. For me Dank is a description of flavor not THC content.

Everyone's description of the dankest is going to be or should be different. The best weed out there is different for everyone.

This would definitely be more correct haha.

I have grown them all. Lots of Regular, Feminized, and even a auto ot 2.

Great plants can be found everywhere. Yes clone only strains are the best because they are special and saved because of it. (So they could be Cloned) LMAO
Where that clone only plant came from could be anywhere. I have had some incredible plants from feminized genetics.

the only thing i can personally compare to is the breeder that makes her own seed, all reg obviously.

her plants generally test 15% - 18%, but she focuses on terpene / flavour. would be interested to see what would happen on thc content alone.

the one thing she tells me is most of the upper range thc claims made by vendors will only test out in the same 15% - 18% range. a lot of it has to do with grower experience and environmental factors.

Yes and No. Your friend is probably right for the most part. Mostly in the fact that most strain will come in the 15% - 18% THC.
All the claims of High THC means is the strain has the potential to get there. You are still going to have to find the right plants no matter what you grow.

Some strains don't have the genetic info to get to 30% THC and they never will. That does not mean that they are not quality genetics. Strains that have that genetic information to get to 30% THC are still going to need to be weeded through to find a great one.

poor @Jackalope is staying out of his own thread right now lol :laughtwo:

Not funny at all. I'm just not here all day. Sounds like you have everything under control. As long as people gets answers or opinions on what they ask I don't care where they get it.

This thread did prove this is not the platform I was looking for to replace my Journal. Trying to replace the time I spent with my plants with something else. Problem is it is 2 differnt times of the day. I can't keep up with only a hour or 2 a day on 420.

What type of weed do you like Stem (chems, OGs, exotics)?

That will help determine a good breeder for you.

Type? You have to choose one? SHIT!

You are very right in the fact you need to know what you really like to find the right breeder. Thing is no one weed can do it all. At a minimum I think everyone should grow 3 strains. Flavors and THC percent will have some affect on your choices. Sativa, Hybrid, Indica should also be considered.

The best weed in the world at 10 a.m., 4:20 p.m. or 10 p.m. will all be different. Or it is for me.

Thing is there is so much more. Like a sweet indica and a dank indica and so on and so forth till you end up with 6 or more favorite strains.

I for one am up to 5 grow forever strains and looking for more.

Now that I have tried this for a day. I am not sure if this is a thread that should continue. It seems to fly all on its own without me LMAO. Even if I quit it may go on fine without me.

Thing is where does I guy go to be helpful when he is bored as shit because he has no plants growing.

I have thought of lots of different things. Nothing seems to work with how I do the internet thing. People are online all day long nowadays. Whole conversations can come and go in the time I am gone. I am online once most every morning. Even then there are days I don't go online at all.

Like I have mentioned before. Everyone wants to believe their opinion matters. TO WHO is the big question. Just because I have grow for years does not mean people want my opinions. It just makes me feel good thinking people do. I will leave it to you guys.

I think the thread has had some good dialogue thus far and isn’t too far off track, keep it going. As soon as someone asks a question you’ll be right as rain.

And to follow-up on the seeds discussion @StimpLedNoTill not ignoring you, just my seed/ breeder knowledge is way more inline with the gassy/ chem/ OGs. Most of the exotic/ fruity stuff is all clone based (near me anyway).

I think the thread has had some good dialogue thus far and isn’t too far off track, keep it going. As soon as someone asks a question you’ll be right as rain.

And to follow-up on the seeds discussion @StimpLedNoTill not ignoring you, just my seed/ breeder knowledge is way more inline with the gassy/ chem/ OGs. Most of the exotic/ fruity stuff is all clone based (near me anyway).

No worries! It's not that I don't like the gas, it's that I've smoked too much of it as it seems to be much too common these days. I want to try and branch out to other solid flavors/scents. I assume it comes down to finicky sativas and I have to go by seed because the dispensaries here in Canada sell super boof and the growers I know stick to what's best for concentrate yield, which happens to be mostly Indica accompanied by the gassy sesquiterpenes.

Quantify? Really? can't we just use normal words. LMAO

Dank like quantify is only a word. It means different things to different people. For me Dank is a description of flavor not THC content.

Everyone's description of the dankest is going to be or should be different. The best weed out there is different for everyone.

'Quantify' means to put numbers to statements... everything else is just bollocks. A quantitative statement says "It contains 25% THC" and a qualitative statement says "It blew my head off". The latter statement only means something to the person that said it.

No worries! It's not that I don't like the gas, it's that I've smoked too much of it as it seems to be much too common these days. I want to try and branch out to other solid flavors/scents. I assume it comes down to finicky sativas and I have to go by seed because the dispensaries here in Canada sell super boof and the growers I know stick to what's best for concentrate yield, which happens to be mostly Indica accompanied by the gassy sesquiterpenes.

My last grow. I planted a freebie Super Lemon Haze. I have grown this strain before and have seen a few of its pheno's. What I got this time was nothing like them. Who knows where a freebie seed can come from. It is not in a breeder pack so anyone could have changed or replaced it. Thing is. It was pretty much like you mentioned.

Fruity smell which translated to fruity flavor.It also had a great hybrid to indica high. Lots of sweet smelling indicas tend to have a dank flavor. This was the first one I have had that had great fruity flavor. No telling what this strain was. It is in Greenhouse seeds line up though. You may check into there fruity indicas that have a early harvest. This plant also finished at least 2 weeks faster than the SLH would have.

'Quantify' means to put numbers to statements... everything else is just bollocks. A quantitative statement says "It contains 25% THC" and a qualitative statement says "It blew my head off". The latter statement only means something to the person that said it.

Yes I am aware of what the word means. The words people use at times just amuse me. Some but not all use big words to sound smarter. In a sense talking over others. I am a long time reader and know the meaning of lots of words I never use. The english language is a interesting thing these days. People are either using to many words or not enough of them LMAO.

When it comes to marijuana both explanations are needed. Quantify so you have the numbers for reference. Marijuana is all about the effects. So a Qualitative statement is needed also. Great effects from marijuana are not driven by THC percent.

Back
Top Bottom