Old School Answers & New Ideas

Jackalope

As a long time grower I have seen a lot and made a lot of mistakes. Since I find myself with no plants growing. I am looking for a place where I can be the most helpful.

I am sure all this crap in my head might be helpful to others. I damn sure don't know it all. All I can really do is give my opinion. I'm not one to bullshit people. That doesn't mean I won't be wrong here and there. I won't give any information that I am not confident with.

I guess my strengths would be in genetics and general growing. So many growing techniques out there now days. There is very seldom going to be one right answer.

To tell the truth I don't know where this thread will go. I do know I have lots of random stuff in my head so at times I might even ask questions. Answer the questions I can and probably create even more.

So there you have it. Lets see where this thing goes.

Why is it that currently the dankest strains in the world are only in reg form?

could you quantify this statement, or is it just a widely held belief or mythology ?

"dank" is kind of subjective as well. thc content ? terpene amounts ? trichome production ? a combination of factors ?

i know people that only grow reg seeds, some that only grow fem, and one that only breeds their own seeds. there is not a huge difference between them, but they all grow their own way, different lights, nutes, etc.

one possible explanation is the genetics may be landrace, or closer to landrace, than the examples you compare. another may be the seeds you are referring to could be the early results of breeding programs. it likely takes a couple generations for breeders to move their strains from reg to fem and auto, which could explain the difference.

in for interest sake regardless.

could you quantify this statement, or is it just a widely held belief or mythology ?

"dank" is kind of subjective as well. thc content ? terpene amounts ? trichome production ? a combination of factors ?

i know people that only grow reg seeds, some that only grow fem, and one that only breeds their own seeds. there is not a huge difference between them, but they all grow their own way, different lights, nutes, etc.

one possible explanation is the genetics may be landrace, or closer to landrace, than the examples you compare. another may be the seeds you are referring to could be the early results of breeding programs. it likely takes a couple generations for breeders to move their strains from reg to fem and auto, which could explain the difference.

in for interest sake regardless.

Thanks for your interest in what I said! I say that because I have talked to multiple growers that say they wouldn't touch fem seeds and tbh I haven't seen any fem grown weed compare to some of the reg grown weed I've seen. Completely covered in crystal, blinding to the eye. Probably close to 30% thc. Maybe it's just genetics only? And yes by dank I mean all around. It very well could be a myth I'm just trying to figure it out haha.

the only thing i can personally compare to is the breeder that makes her own seed, all reg obviously.

her plants generally test 15% - 18%, but she focuses on terpene / flavour. would be interested to see what would happen on thc content alone.

the one thing she tells me is most of the upper range thc claims made by vendors will only test out in the same 15% - 18% range. a lot of it has to do with grower experience and environmental factors.

Interesting.. Only focusing on terpenes/flavor sounds awesome for dialing in that taste. By vendors I assume you mean dispensaries? I would never trust them, at least here in Canada. Every single bit of weed I've ever seen come out of a dispensary here is sub-par. It is by no means unsmokable or garbage but it is nowhere near the quality it should be for the price.

vendors = sellers of seed. generally any online seed seller.

to be clear, she doesn't say you can't hit those levels, or even improve on them, only that the majority of hobbyists aren't going to see them.

i agree and echo your opinion of legal dispensaries. only i'd put it closer to unsmokable or garbage than you do. :D

vendors = sellers of seed. generally any online seed seller.

to be clear, she doesn't say you can't hit those levels, or even improve on them, only that the majority of hobbyists aren't going to see them.

i agree and echo your opinion of legal dispensaries. only i'd put it closer to unsmokable or garbage than you do. :D

Oh good, I'm glad you see it that way. I'm actually right there with you but didn't want to offend anyone here that gets there stuff from dispensaries or perhaps owns one. So what you're saying (or your breeder friend) is that to get to those levels one would essentially need to breed into it obviously through reg rather than being able to just buy fem seeds of that quality? That actually makes more sense. Where as you could buy reg seeds that produce that quality because they've been bred into it already? Jungle boys / thugpug genetics etc have the craziest producing strains I've seen and it's only in reg seed.

So what you're saying (or your breeder friend) is that to get to those levels one would essentially need to breed into it obviously through reg rather than being able to just buy fem seeds of that quality?
no.

what it means is end result is more affected by grower capability, and the growing environment they create and provide. in many cases the genetics are legit. it's how they are grown out. i was referring to vendor claims.

Oh good, I'm glad you see it that way. I'm actually right there with you but didn't want to offend anyone here that gets there stuff from dispensaries or perhaps owns one. So what you're saying (or your breeder friend) is that to get to those levels one would essentially need to breed into it obviously through reg rather than being able to just buy fem seeds of that quality? That actually makes more sense. Where as you could buy reg seeds that produce that quality because they've been bred into it already? Jungle boys / thugpug genetics etc have the craziest producing strains I've seen and it's only in reg seed.

Varies on where you at far as Dispensaries go, here in the US in States where Rec is legal they have all ranges far as quality/thc numbers go. Far as the genetics go they don't have or don't give out any of that info far as Regular or Fem kind of thing. But THC % isn't relative to quality of the high in my experience, I have bought stuff that tested at 16% kick just as hard as some that was 29%, so it is a bit more complex than just numbers and personally I go more by smell/looks than numbers on a container.

Ahhh I got you now. Thank you for your time and the clarification.

Varies on where you at far as Dispensaries go, here in the US in States where Rec is legal they have all ranges far as quality/thc numbers go. Far as the genetics go they don't have or don't give out any of that info far as Regular or Fem kind of thing. But THC % isn't relative to quality of the high in my experience, I have bought stuff that tested at 16% kick just as hard as some that was 29%, so it is a bit more complex than just numbers and personally I go more by smell/looks than numbers on a container.

Yes unfortunately I'm in Ontario, Canada where the dispensaries are absolute garbage. You are very fortunate to be in a state with a solid dispensary like Cali. Stuff here is in no way even close to the level Cali is on. I've seen tons and tons of crap from dispensaries but never once gave them a dollar for that stuff. It's embarrassing really. Perhaps you are right though in that it is more complex than just high numbers. Although jungle boys gets their stuff tested and it is some of the most caked stuff I've ever seen.

Ahhh I got you now. Thank you for your time and the clarification.

Yes unfortunately I'm in Ontario, Canada where the dispensaries are absolute garbage. You are very fortunate to be in a state with a solid dispensary like Cali. Stuff here is in no way even close to the level Cali is on. I've seen tons and tons of crap from dispensaries but never once gave them a dollar for that stuff. It's embarrassing really. Perhaps you are right though in that it is more complex than just high numbers. Although jungle boys gets their stuff tested and it is some of the most caked stuff I've ever seen.

I'm biased, but Oregon has better growers/stuff than Cali ;) :rofl: (I'm sure decent stuff comes out of Colorado also)....... but yes time will tell whether Canada gets their act together or not, hopefully when they get all their rules straight and bugs worked out it will improve.

I'm biased, but Oregon has better growers/stuff than Cali ;) :rofl: (I'm sure decent stuff comes out of Colorado also)....... but yes time will tell whether Canada gets their act together or not, hopefully when they get all their rules straight and bugs worked out it will improve.

Perhaps biased, but still a fair statement if you compare. Putting the fem Vs reg aside, where the heck would you guys recommend I get solid fem seeds from then? I'm not worried about waiting a month or 2 for shipping if it comes to Canada from far away. I've tried/seen multiple different apparently "good" fem breeders and been disappointed.

Just depends who you know I think, and what head grower works for what dispensary. When I hear people say dispensary weed sucks it’s just one more BS example of online confirmation bias and usually said in an echo chamber with likeminded ppl who just say, “oh yeah I agree, 100%”

I’ve tried weed from dispensaries that crushes homegrown weed (my own included). You can definitely get shitty/ mediocre weed from dispensaries, but you can also get shitty/ mediocre weed from homegrowers. I’ll use the jungle boys as an example - those guys have so many haters that talk shit online. I know some of the haters personally, and it cracks me up because their weed absolutely blows compared to what JB produces (and they’re only growing a few plants whereas JB are growing tens of thousands/ more). That’s not to say I think jungle boys are the best growers or that home-growers can’t be better, I’m just trying to make the point that so many ppl talk so much shit like their weed is so good...or that dispensaries are so bad... and it’s just not reality. Saying dispensaries suck compared to personal grows is a very narrow minded viewpoint IMO.

Perhaps biased, but still a fair statement if you compare. Putting the fem Vs reg aside, where the heck would you guys recommend I get solid fem seeds from then? I'm not worried about waiting a month or 2 for shipping if it comes to Canada from far away. I've tried/seen multiple different apparently "good" fem breeders and been disappointed.

It can be a crapshoot for sure (even from same place I imagine), maybe someone that has grown more Fems will chime in, most of my seeds are Regular, and the two Fems I have grown so far have been totally different from the same place as one was real good and the other Strain was nothing but a headache to try and grow.

Back
Top Bottom