Old school grower thinking about switching to LEDs

Green and yellow are used for growth regulation. The leaves that get more green (less red and blue) from shading cause growth to react by stretching to escape, for instance.

"If yer gonna shoplift, shoplift a canoe." :cheesygrinsmiley:

Like, go big or go home.

Ah, okay. So for those of us not living deep in the jungle where the highway is a sluggish river, a possible analogy would be, "If you're going to steal, steal a Ferarri?"

I'm just yanking your chain. I had never heard or read the expression before (and I like to think of myself as somewhat well-read).

That's a nice setup, BtW. My very first try at indoor growing was with incandescents, lol. Then the 40-watt fluorescent tubes, spaced about as closely as I could get them mounted on a board. Then a very brief round of plant-killing with a mercury vapor lamp (probably much better for growing patches of melanoma than plants). Then metal halide, then high pressure sodium. A brief fling with electrodeless fluorescent lighting somewhere along the line. Then dipping a toe into the LED ocean. But I've fallen off the evolutionary lighting path and I'm not likely to ever get back on it.

Turns out I'm too poor. And too... tired? I don't know. Depression, man... I probably present as being lazy much of the time. The laziest guy in the world will get up off the chair in the yard and go to the porch when it starts raining like a cow p!ssing on a flat rock. Depression means more than just not feeling right - I might not even notice that it has begun to rain and, if I do, I might think, "I should probably head to the porch" - and then just sit there, without ever making the decision to do so. Makes it a challenge to do anything that takes an extended period of time. I'm lucky that my cat is capable of letting me know (and in no uncertain terms) that she is hungry. As it is, sometimes she has to do so multiple times. A goldfish wouldn't have a chance.

I'm just rambling. IDK why. It's either that or go eat breakfast, and it seems a bit late for that.

My friend and I had a shoplifting competition once when we were young and stupid. I carried the trophy for a couple months with my ‘whole barbecued chicken shoved in jacket’ caper but then he walked out of a ski shop with a new snowboard...
difficult to form conclusions via observation

If I dissect my present opinion on the matter down to its roots.... Five years ago, just like now, you could read a whole bunch of people online yelling out opinions and info about LED vs HID. Pretty hard to say what ‘facts’ were really true. Boiled down though, my gut feeling from what I saw growing at the time was that HID was better.
Now that gut feeling has changed and I feel like my HPS is clearly a step down from what Graytail is growing with. Skillset, strain selection, and growing style aside, the effect of that light penetration is pretty obvious.

Yeah, but the 5 watt monochrome LEDs just aren't cutting it, even after all these years - the "blurples". Occasionally, I'll read about some huge improvement, but I understand the physics, and that approach only works because you tinker with spectrum and eliminate the "unneeded" wavelengths. The basic setup isn't all that efficient. So, yeah, blurples weren't all they were cracked up to be.

And the initial cost and simplicity of HPS is hard to beat, especially the newer double ended bulbs - they rock!

But these new mid-power white LEDs are game changers. Even Mars-Hydro is going that direction. That TS-1000 is a killer of a lamp. The ST series isn't nearly as efficient, but the TS is the real deal.

:bongrip:

lots of interestig reading, just about caught up lol
not much useful input from my end though, as im only a newbie and jumped straight in with leds, started with some cheap chinese ones, quickly returned and upgraded to qbs.
sure isnt cheap compared to the cheapo route, obviously, but hoping worth it in the long run, about £800 in on the bloody things lol
i think in my space id have been screwed with heat issues using hps or cmh though

My friend and I had a shoplifting competition once when we were young and stupid. I carried the trophy for a couple months with my ‘whole barbecued chicken shoved in jacket’ caper but then he walked out of a ski shop with a new snowboard...

My best brag is making off with a very nice set of chairs with matching tables from a hotel public area. :cheesygrinsmiley: Not exactly "shoplifting" but hey ... that's kinda like going big. :bongrip:

The snowboard was definitely the right attitude. :thumb: The chicken, too.

I used to buy the bread, and keep the cheese and lunchmeat outta sight. :nerd-with-glasses:

Back
Top Bottom