Old-School & Young Blood - Grown By An Old Fart

re: Old-School & Young Blood - Grown By An Old Fart

I'll give Barney's Farm credit for this: I just checked things, and it looks like Pineapple Chunk is the first to crack - I saw about a millimeter long white tip. I added a few drops of 3% H2O2 for a quick and dirty oxygenation aid and will probably move her to her first home in the morning.

How do you add the H2O2? When do you add it? Is this something you can add to your water when watering in soil?

Hello gudyul, rameraze, any other new subscribers that have not posted yet, and everyone else who already subscribed (or who is just browsing).

I briefly visited the seedling chamber (as mentioned previously, that is currently an aluminum trash can :rofl: ) and I saw four healthy - but tiny - little seedlings. The seed cases were "a bit" slow to drop off - possibly due to a hot environment with low humidity - and so I moistened them and "helped" the plants remove them.

I will post pictures of the four tomorrow sometime.

I need to get more light onto the seedlings this week. I also need to get and position some kind of little fan to provide air movement across the seedlings for cooling, gas exchange, to flex/twist the plant (to help grow healthy stems/plants), and as an aid to transpiration. That ought to help the humidity at the plants slightly by removing the heated "stagnant" air and replacing it with fresh(+/-, lol) air that has a little more moisture in it.

I intend to work on my garden space this week. Admittedly, I should have done this first, but I did not know what type or size of light(s) I would be using. That might be about to change (although nothing is set in stone yet). It appears that I may be able to light a 9 ft.² (3' x 3') space. If so, that will be somewhat larger than I had originally planned for / expected. I wish I could afford to order one of those neat grow tents so that I could kill two birds and get stoned err... kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. But this is, alas, not an option.

In other news, it turns out that I am no longer immune to poison ivy :hmmmm:.

How do you add the H2O2? When do you add it? Is this something you can add to your water when watering in soil?

I just dropped a few drops into each cup of water (that contained a seed) in order to boost the level of DO (dissolved oxygen) in the water slightly - so that my infant plantlets' root tips did not "drown" from lack of O₂. It is not every day that die-off occurs whilst cannabis seeds are soaking, but it is a stressful time for the tender young life (especially when the water is, IMHO, slightly too warm for optimum) and I am working with a finite number of good genetics. Also, I believe stress before the plant is well-established (first moments of "active" life up to, IDK... four weeks of growth or so) increases the likelihood of having males, and I would like to see one male plant at most, and preferably none at this time (my Sensi Seeds Jack Herer was regular (aka non-feminized), so either sex is possible).

You could add H₂O₂ (hydrogen peroxide) as a bit of an oxygen booster when watering with soil. But that kind of application requires consideration (I would think)... Is your soil just a "medium" used (basically) to hold your plants' roots - or is it an active microbial zone where you have an ecosystem of tiny life that breaks down the nutrients that you give it, the end-products of which nourish the plant? If the latter, I would be careful NOT to overdo any H₂O₂ application so that you do not disturb (kill) the microbial life.

OtOH, healthy cannabis soil is fairly light and well-drained. It should receive some oxygen when (relatively) fresh water is used to water it, and the siphon effect of having that water drain - or be used by the plants - will, of course, pull more into the tiny airspaces within that soil.

In hydroponics setups (depending on the exact method being used), plants' roots - or at least some of them - may be submerged in the nutrient solution anywhere from once each day to... constantly, lol. And people generally feed the roots directly, as opposed to feeding a root-zone biosphere, when a hydroponic growing style is used.

I could ramble on for a while longer, but they're starting to look restless in the rear of the audience. Or maybe they are passing a joint around back there - I'd better go check....

TS makes some very good points about the use of Hydrogen Peroxide in soils. It is used medicinally to kill germs, and it does not distinguish between harmful and beneficial organisms. Let your soil live, Rameraze. :Namaste:

Exactly, AKgramma. Unless the soil is a "dead thing" (lol) and the grower is feeding his/her plants' roots directly, I would only use H₂O₂ very sparingly (and diluted in the water that I was going to water my plants with) so that its only action is to add a bit of oxygen to that water - instead of as a general-purpose *cide, lol.

I promised pictures of the babies and pictures you will have. Err... Later. Check back in two or three hours.

A friend just called me and said he remembered where he stored that "box of miscellaneous nutrients" that I gave him a few years ago when I got paranoid and gave it away. He told me that he didn't use much of it and he'll be dropping it off some time tomorrow. Yippee! I'll get to see what I have to work with in terms of nutrients. At least initially (I may be able to purchase something later).

I hope everyone is having a good day.

Thank you TorturedSoul for the insight on that. Its always good to hear from those that know more than I.

If anyone is still here... I apologize for forgetting to post baby pictures yesterday. By the time I realized that I hadn't taken them, the infants were tucked in. There isn't much to see as of yet - they are barely out of their mothers' err... seed cases, and growth is slow because I haven't really gotten any light over them (I really, really need to get that taken care of). They are still in temporary housing, so I just stuck them in a convenient location, held a towel up behind them, and cropped away the mess (lol). I can't wait until I get a space built. Hopefully it won't rain tomorrow and I can walk to the hardware store. Maybe they'll have some idea about how I can drag some lumber home; loan me a wheelbarrow and some rope or something, IDK. I won't be able to get access to a truck until this weekend, and I'd like to get started now. Anyway, here you go:

Hmm... Boy, it sure would be nice if the "insert images directly from member's gallery" routine actually included file names instead of just image thumbnails! (If anyone on the staff is reading this, can you improve that?) Maybe I can copy the location and use IMG tags?

Kali Mist:
km1.jpg

Jack Herer #1:
jh113.jpg

Jack Herer #2:
jh210.jpg

Pineapple Chunk:
pc20.jpg

I told you there wasn't much to see. They're all kind of frail looking, but I expect that to change (or at least hope it will) when I can add light and move them into permanent housing. That isn't light or nutrient burn on the Pineapple Chunk, BtW, that's where I was a little impatient at removing a stuck seed case.

Please send them lots of love - their stepfather is a bit of a klutz these days and doesn't see all that well, either.

And a good day to you in return, SmokeSara.

I wasn't going to check on my seeds until tomorrow, but I opened my oven door and took a peak when I returned home. And...

Making it clear why Simon named his cannabis breeding / seed producing business Serious Seeds, my Kali Mist was the first to emerge! She hasn't actually risen up and said, "Hello," to the world yet. But I saw a tiny little bit of green just even with the top of the soil. I immediately removed all four cups of soil from my oven and placed them in the pantry. Assuming that she decides to stand up and look around tomorrow, she will probably be the first star to have her picture grace the pages of this journal. Perhaps she will soon be spreading her famous "Church" incense fragrance.

Every new birth should be celebrated. I'm going to go open that bottle of Dr. Pepper that I've been saving, lol.

My favorite moment in the growing process... I'm subbed up. Love your sense of humor. I feel I can learn a lot from you. Looking forward to some more pictures.

Cheers :roorrip:

Looks like I spoke too soon. Welcome to the world little babies. :) I love the seedling stage. They need so much care at this point. Then, You have to let them do their thing. I have to set-up my light schedule to go dark during the day so I won't mess with them too much.
With regards to H2O2... I have just received some Snow Storm Ultra by Humbolt County, which is supposed to make the trichomes explode with growth. On the bottle it says it is derived from H2O2 where the ingredients should be printed on the bottle. It suggest to use from veg through flower with gradual increase in flower. My question is... Did I just buy a $25 bottle of H2O2? I don't expect you to know the chemical makeup of this nutrient. It has a N-P-K of 0-0-3. I was wondering if you have used H2O2 throughout your grow and if it benefited your grow.
Cheers :roorrip:

I feel I can learn a lot from you.

Some of which could get a man stabbed. With that warning out of the way, lol, welcome to my journal.

I have just received some Snow Storm Ultra by Humbolt County, which is supposed to make the trichomes explode with growth.

I'm generally satisfied with trichomes that are the normal size. (I do like to see lots of them, though.) I definitely don't want mine to explode - they're probably much better intact.

On the bottle it says it is derived from H2O2 where the ingredients should be printed on the bottle.

I suppose that you could derive several things from H₂O₂. The single bond between the two oxygen atoms is very weak, so it readily fragments into either H and HO₂ or two OHs. Either way, the results are very reactive free radicals - H₂O₂ is a very powerful oxidising agent. It's also one of the causes of smog, lol; sunlight decomposes it into free radicals, which in turn react with unburned hydrocarbons in the air.

Did I just buy a $25 bottle of H2O2?

Lol. Pour an ounce or two of fresh blood (it need not be yours) into a dish. Then some of the contents of that bottle into it. Does it get foamy? Dump about half a bottle into your washing machine, add detergent, and set it to fill. After it has started to fill, add dirty laundry. After washing machine shuts off, dry the laundry. Did some of the stains come out?

It has a N-P-K of 0-0-3.

That means it has potassium in it. Combined with the "derived from hydrogen peroxide," that leads me to believe that the potassium is in the form of potassium hydroxide. Does it lower pH, lol? Because General Hydroponics' pH down product is potassium hydroxide and potassium carbonate. It's also like $9 to $12 per quart.

I'm not really a fan of the company that makes Snowstorm Ultra. Seems like they got nailed a while back for selling a couple of products that contained a plant hormone (IIRC) that is a known carcinogen in California and Oregon (states which seem to frown on cancer). And at least one of those two products was apparently found by the state of Oregon to also contain arsenic and lead. I'm not sure if the latter is true or not (the former definitely is - they had to stop selling the two products in those two states). Seems like I used to have a link to both states' fertilizer testing websites, but I do not remember them offhand. I may have posted them somewhere in the forums four or five years ago.

I was wondering if you have used H2O2 throughout your grow and if it benefited your grow.

I did in DWC grows. You cannot have too much DO (dissolved oxygen) in your reservoirs when your plants' roots are partially or completely submerged in them. Well... You could, in theory - but I doubt that you'd ever find yourself in a scenario where that state actually comes to pass ;) . I've had encountered conditions (heat) that would have had people's pet fish floating on their sides at the top of the aquarium waiting on a transfer to the porcelain one, and the plants still had healthy white roots. I've also added it during power outages when I was too lazy to manually aerate the solution (as the thought of rapidly shaking 20+ gallons of water always made my back try to detach and run away). It was diluted (as in some amount of milliliters per gallon). Do I think a grow requires it? No. A properly fed and cared for plant that is growing in conditions which are hospitable to that plant doesn't really need any of those expensive supplements either, lol - otherwise, that species of plant would not have existed long enough for people to be able to spend their paychecks in hopes of improving.

I'm just rambling. You may have noticed that I do that once in a while. It's either that or go work outside, and I like hot temperatures even less than my plants do.

Well crap. I am a researcher by heart and I have found a grower or three that swear by the stuff. I don't see how it could harm the plant as long as I'm not over fertilizing. I think I will do a side by side experiment to see if there is a benefit. I don't know if the mods will let me say the name of the product in my journal though, because they aren't a sponsor.
I appreciate all of the information. It makes one feel special when one asks a question in a journal and get a detailed and thorough response in return. Very appreciated. It makes me want to put more time in my own journal. :rofl:

Cheers TS :roorrip:

Well crap. I am a researcher by heart and I have found a grower or three that swear by the stuff. I don't see how it could harm the plant as long as I'm not over fertilizing. I think I will do a side by side experiment to see if there is a benefit. I don't know if the mods will let me say the name of the product in my journal though, because they aren't a sponsor.
I appreciate all of the information. It makes one feel special when one asks a question in a journal and get a detailed and thorough response in return. Very appreciated. It makes me want to put more time in my own journal. :rofl:

Cheers TS :roorrip:

Definitely choose one plant to test the H2O2 on. Once you're ready to switch to flower, you can show us the pics to compare her with the others not getting H2O2. TS has given you really good advice.

Friday comes again...haha,i like Friday.and you?

Well, I only got the chance to work one day this week, so the significance of a weekend is somewhat lacking, lol. But the weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow, so I might plant some Caribbean Red Habanero pepper seedlings. They'll have to go outside though ;) .

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Well folks, I might have killed all my seedlings. I still hadn't gotten a light yet. I was using a little CFL bulb, but it was one of only two working bulbs in my home. After falling down the stairs in the dark because I didn't see a cat, I took the one off the seedlings and put it back in general circulation so I could see. Knowing I needed light for the babies, I - and I really did know better, but I figured it might be fine for a day or two - rigged up an old mercury vapor lamp.

I just checked on them and all four are laying down wilted.

It sucks to be poor. Maybe even more than it would to be dead. Maybe not, lol - flip a coin.

Screw it, I'm going to bed early today.

Move the lamp way up, using your hand to feel how hot it is next to the seedlings. Then water your seedlings well, and cover them with a clear plastic bag, Solo cups, or whatever you can to raise the humidity. Any that are not dead may come back to life. It's worth a try, anyway.

Even an ordinary light bulb in a desk lamp will do till they get larger. CFLs wont cook your seedlings or clones.

EDIT: In the absence of a light bulb, set them, if they recover, in the wndowsill. Basement apartments are required to have at least one window for egress.

I got tired of laying here and checked on them. I doubt they could be saved by a tissue culture lab. When I first looked at them earlier, the aluminum can I was using as a temporary nursery - until I could get a real light and figure out what size of space to build - was literally too hot to touch. I really should have known better, I had the opportunity to discover how worthless MV lights are for growing plants decades ago. I was being optimistic that if I didn't place it directly on top of the thing, but instead at an angle, there would be less heat getting in and plenty of room for that heat to get out. I learned not to be optimistic decades ago, too, but...

I'll have to germinate more seeds. At this point, I'm not even sure if I should do that until I get a light.

This journal will remain open - but there will be a little delay.

<SIGH>

I got tired of laying here and checked on them. I doubt they could be saved by a tissue culture lab. When I first looked at them earlier, the aluminum can I was using as a temporary nursery - until I could get a real light and figure out what size of space to build - was literally too hot to touch. I really should have known better, I had the opportunity to discover how worthless MV lights are for growing plants decades ago. I was being optimistic that if I didn't place it directly on top of the thing, but instead at an angle, there would be less heat getting in and plenty of room for that heat to get out. I learned not to be optimistic decades ago, too, but...

I'll have to germinate more seeds. At this point, I'm not even sure if I should do that until I get a light.

This journal will remain open - but there will be a little delay.

<SIGH>

Go to the good will and buy a cheap lamp. Pick up a socket splitter for a bout a buck-fifty, then two 23W CFLs, one soft white and one daylight.

Since this is your journal, let's brainstorm your grow area.

Do you have any closets in your apartment?
Are the walls a light color?
What size is it?

Most likely you have all you need for a grow unit, free of charge.

Vegging doesn't care about light interruption, so you can leave the closet door open a bit to vent heat. You can get by with a few CFLs in lamps or as clip-ons. Put some plastic sheeting on the floor to catch spills, and saucers or trays made out of anything you can find (cookie sheets, plates, soup bowls). You'll also need some kind of fan to circulate the air.

When you switch to 12/12, you can exchange the closet door with a push rod, a shower curtain liner, and a black sheet on the outside. Leave a 4" gap at the top for heat ventilation.

This is what I use for my flower area, but I have also used the closet as my veg area when I was first starting out. Then later I picked up some wire-shelving units and covered those with cheap white poly-tarp and black sheets. I left the top open to vent the heat.

And that is what I'm using over a year since I started this hobby! An all-CFL grow, BTW.

Back
Top Bottom