Osmocote Plus Plant Food: Discuss Its Use With Cannabis Here!

Irish,
Do you think IF ya water feed, water feed, and keep the nutes on the weak side say after the 3 or 4th week of flower, that one MAYBE might not have to Flush at the end at all???

Seems alot of the old growers NEver Flush, but they know how to keep the nutes down, So no need to flush at all???

Flushing for me SuX... And I`m OLD so I like to be like the rest of the old timers LoL...!

BTW...This is with using the Dyna Products, Wonder what their ideals are on that!

Flushing is do to over feeding, but the chems still stay into the plant cells. i have never "Flushed" i simply feed my plants plain water a few waterings before harvest, ive never gone crazy and dumped a ton of water threw my medium. but i also dont over feed. now a flush will be needed if someone fell for the Bloom booster scam and put a 0-52-32NPK thinking their going to pump up their buds, well now you just added a bunch of crap into ur plants and salts that will need to be flushed. this is why the Lucas Formula work good, because people are not over feeding their plants so much, or why most TRF's or one part nutes work good. too many people think the more stuff they put into their plants will give them bigger buds, not true! just give those companys bigger pockets. even if using light feedings or not the correct one part nutes without a good profile you wont get great results. remember plants arnt like use they take up what they need and leave the rest to build up in the medium and this is why u need to flush. theirs nothing special about OC+ expect for the profile. but the thing is it feeds out plants better then most of us can because it gives the plants what they want and dont over feed if temps are right. basically most of us just dont know how to feed our plants right and this is why TRF's work good. once you learn ow to feed proper u can do better then a TRF, (is not no magic) if we learn how to feed and read our plants ourselfs we can give our plants more of what they want when they need it, somthing TRF's can never do because they dont have a mind, but just release things slowly. This takes allot of learning on our part. this is why most really good growers dont even have drain holes on their pots because they do need any because they dont over feed and know how to read their plants.

ive heard some friends say vegetable plants dont need to be flushed but for one most dont dump all kinds of stuff in those plants, and we dont smoke those either and put them in our lungs. bottom line is if you do things right you dont need to flush, if you dont do it right then you do. people need to stop going by feed charts and learn how to read their plants and know when they want food.

i think OC+ works great but i like to have control over my plants and feed them what i want when i want and not have to worry about temps and stuff effecting it. just my style, at the end both will work great as long as u use them right. the main point is you dont need a ton of crazy cannabis nutes like the hydro store wants you to think. keep it simple and grow fat buds.

urea nitrogen is what will burn the root hairs and plants. its all about having a good micro nute to give the plants everything.

AcesFull:

Yes, you can just use OC+ for the whole grow and you'll do just fine. However, it is my opinion (and experience) that if you know what you're doing, you can enhance the OC+ a bit by using products like Hygrozyme (keeps root zone clean, etc.) and Snowstorm (enhances resin formation, etc.)

You should also keep a micronutrient source on hand to deal with the occasional deficiency that may crop up when using soiless mediums. Ironite is a good one, and there are others.

The problems that seem to come up once in a while with OC+ are iron and zinc deficiencies, which are easily cleared up with Ironite or Liquinox.....both available at hardware stores, Lowes, Home dePot, etc.

I believe OC+ lasts for 9 months in soil....in a hempy bucket I think it lasts about 4-5 months.

How much to add? 1.5 to 3 tbsp per gallon. You really can't over feed.

Oh, make sure you can control your temps....high temps make the release rate higher which you may not want!

Don't worry about flushing....there is no need, the buds burn clean and taste great. But if you did want to flush, you can do so by lowering your temps for the last couple weeks.....72 during lights on, 65 during lights off. That will pretty much starve the plant. I don't think it's necessary, but fun to experiment and also get things to purple up.

High temps definitely don't help, DocBud gave me that advice and I thought it was cool enough but when the temps get hot OC+ really dumps out the nutes!! Burnt the crap out of my plants (overwatering and a rookie move with ph meter didn't help) but when I did a soil analysis the nitrogen was way, way high, same with P & K. So, valuable lessons learned:thumb: thanks to docbud and irishboy, among others!!

Thanks Irish...
YEah I got to get it down right, and just water the last week a few times no really heavy Flushing...
Never did like flooding the gals out..LoL

High temps definitely don't help, DocBud gave me that advice and I thought it was cool enough but when the temps get hot OC+ really dumps out the nutes!! Burnt the crap out of my plants (overwatering and a rookie move with ph meter didn't help) but when I did a soil analysis the nitrogen was way, way high, same with P & K. So, valuable lessons learned:thumb: thanks to docbud and irishboy, among others!!
this is why i dont use OC+ anymore, you have to have ur room dialed in, and i cant do that with my setup i cant run A/C, so i longer use it and rather use Dyna-Gro
Thanks Irish...
YEah I got to get it down right, and just water the last week a few times no really heavy Flushing...
Never did like flooding the gals out..LoL
yup! never liked flooding out the girls either creating less O2 to the roots.

this is why i dont use OC+ anymore, you have to have ur room dialed in, and i cant do that with my setup i cant run A/C, so i longer use it and rather use Dyna-Gro

yup! never liked flooding out the girls either creating less O2 to the roots.

Irish, I'm in the same boat as far as OC+ and my grow space. I seem to have exactly the wrong conditions. My one total OC+ grow is not too tasty, and leaves black ash.

I love the concept of TRFs, but the maxi dry nutes are working much better for my girls in cooler conditions. We'll see pretty soon how the GH handles the heat :morenutes:

:peace:

Temps are a little on the high side 80ish since upgrading to the 600w HPS

Flush every time you water and you'll be fine. Also, realize that as the plant grows it will use more nutes and the nitrogen levels will become more normal for the plant.

I've said this a thousand times if I've said it once:

If you want to excel at growing our beloved plants, nutrients and plant food are NOT that important.

1.)Environment
2.)medium
3.)water
4.)nutrients

In a perfect environment I am confident I can grow quality weed in miracle grow soil, using miracle grow nutes. Great quality? Maybe not....but certainly as good most stuff out there.

If you can't control your temps you're not growing properly....you're adapting.

The whole concept of indoor growing is that you can master the environment.....if you don't do that, you're merely using poor quality light to grow substandard weed.

If you want to take things to the next, next level, grow with sunlight and blackout curtains in a climate controlled greenhouse.

Now, in a proper environment OC+ works very, very well.

But if you don't have a proper environment all bets are off.

I've got several brand new medical growers who are growing their own for their own needs that I am doing consulting for. Most are in soil, with OC+ and all but one of their plants look so good it's not even funny....first time growers.

The guy whose plants aren't doing well spent 3 times the money and bought a package deal from a hydro shop....rockwool blocks, flood and drain, tent, light, ducting, fans, filter and Advanced Nutrients. I tried to talk him out of the tent, for cooling purposes, but to no avail.

The other people have their plants on the floor, in the middle of a room with an unducted hood, 1000 watts, fans and a simple exhaust fan linked to a cheap controller. The extra volume in the room keeps the heat down, when compared to a tent....simple physics.

I have no idea which nutes work best in poor conditions and I'm not interested in finding out!

Hello to all... sorry if this is a bit long, I just want to paint somewhat of a clear picture of my current setup.

I have been following along and have seen the benefits of using OC+ in journals, and am now at a point where I need to introduce nutes. I like the ease of use for sure. I just want to make sure what I can continue to use with the OC+ and am still unclear as to proper NPK ratios.

I'm growing two P91 girls under 390 watts of CFL's in 5 gal Plant Warrior pots filled with straight Fox Farms Ocean Forest and using Hydroton in the bottoms for drainage. The girls have been in 12/12 for 10 days and are doing great...for now.

They are currently receiving the following per gal of RO water:

2.5ml Cal-Mag+
8ml Hygrozyme
15ml Budswel
GH pH up (adjusted to 6.5)

at the last feeding I added 2ml of GH Micro and Bloom as they are beggining to flower but now I'm wondering if I could just top dress the soil with a bit more FFOF and cut some OC+ in and be done with it.

Temps are between low to high 70s, RH is low 30s to low 40s.

Your thoughts? Thank you for your time!

:Namaste:

Hello to all... sorry if this is a bit long, I just want to paint somewhat of a clear picture of my current setup.

I have been following along and have seen the benefits of using OC+ in journals, and am now at a point where I need to introduce nutes. I like the ease of use for sure. I just want to make sure what I can continue to use with the OC+ and am still unclear as to proper NPK ratios.

I'm growing two P91 girls under 390 watts of CFL's in 5 gal Plant Warrior pots filled with straight Fox Farms Ocean Forest and using Hydroton in the bottoms for drainage. The girls have been in 12/12 for 10 days and are doing great...for now.

They are currently receiving the following per gal of RO water:

2.5ml Cal-Mag+
8ml Hygrozyme
15ml Budswel
GH pH up (adjusted to 6.5)

at the last feeding I added 2ml of GH Micro and Bloom as they are beggining to flower but now I'm wondering if I could just top dress the soil with a bit more FFOF and cut some OC+ in and be done with it.

Temps are between low to high 70s, RH is low 30s to low 40s.

Your thoughts? Thank you for your time!

:Namaste:

I'd up the CalMag to 10ml per gallon.
Also, I wouldn't bother pHing the water. In five gallons of soil it's pointless.

Regarding the OC+, just top dress it and make sure you create a big pool of water in the top of the pots when you water, so the nutes release and wash into the pots. Let 'em get good an light and then make it rain when you water......like 5 gallons per pot each time you water.

Also, add some molasses or sucanat every couple weeks.

I'd up the CalMag to 10ml per gallon.
Also, I wouldn't bother pHing the water. In five gallons of soil it's pointless.

Regarding the OC+, just top dress it and make sure you create a big pool of water in the top of the pots when you water, so the nutes release and wash into the pots. Let 'em get good an light and then make it rain when you water......like 5 gallons per pot each time you water.

Also, add some molasses or sucanat every couple weeks.

Thanks Doc! And I was wondering about pH'ing the RO as well...you read my mind!

Wow, 5 gallons ea time? I'm trusting you on that one sir :Namaste:
That will burn through the Cal-Mag pretty quick (100ml per watering) eh? Any lower cost alternative you'd recommend?

I appreciate your help.

Back
Top Bottom