Outdoor Sativa Grown In The Ground First Outdoor Grow

This is the first time I tried to grow outdoor because i have always been of the mindset that outdoor can never be as dank as indoor plants, after looking at hundreds of outdoor grows on the internet i found that i was VERY wrong, outdoor can hold the candle to indoor any day IMO.

I will try to put as much info about this grow as possible but have to sort of think hard about the first 4 weeks as i did not do anything other that add nutes and water, it was only at the 4 week mark that i saw that this one is gunna be guud so from there i kinda went at it and tried to grow it to the best of what i know.

Well here goes...

I took 10 bagseeds (don't really know what strain exactly but it looked mostly Sativa) and germinated them and nursed them for a week after germination in some seedling soil till i could see they where strong. I then planted them in the garden all ten went into the ground but after some days only one was left the other 9 died or got eaten by the dogs. After i saw that the one left was going guud i started to give it nutes (Multi-feed) and watter i cant really remember how much but i think it was more or less manufacturer recomendation.

After 4 weeks or so i saw that this was gunne be a nice plant so i started treating it like any of my indoor grows this is what it looked like at 4 weeks into life...

IMG00066-20140203-1517.jpg

From the 4 week mark i went at this bitch like mad. gave it watter every day as in South Africa the sun in the summer is HOT and it can dry up a flower bed in no time, i also gave it all the nutes i could within a safe margen and spent all the time i could on it.

Here is the plant over the next weeks after this..

Week 5
IMG00090-20140210-0921.jpg

Week 6
IMG00093-20140211-0903.jpg

Week 7
IMG00094-20140211-1438.jpg

Week 8
IMG00101-20140217-0901.jpg

Week 9 Flowering Starts
IMG00103-20140217-1041.jpg

week 10
IMG00115-20140224-1230.jpg
IMG00116-20140226-0723.jpg

Week 11 (sorry bout the sideways pics i just cant seem to get them right)
P10802212.jpg
P10802222.jpg
P10802232.jpg

I Am now in Week 13 i did not take photos in week 12 but i will take photos today and post the progress as soon as i have time.

Please give me your inputs ...

Re: Outdoor Sativa grown in the ground (First outdoor grow)

Ok so i am now in week 13 from seed in ground And about 3 weeks into flowering....

I am now only feeding with Organic as I was stressed out that flushing was gunna be a problem since this lady is in the ground and there is no way to flush a whole flower bed, then after speaking to some members i found out that when you use only organic the flush is not such a big deal so for the past week i have been giving only Niltosol ( Nitrosol Organic Plant Food and Fertiliser - Nitrosol Natural Organic Plant Food ). now i must add we have been getting rain all day for the past 2 weeks non stop so I am hoping this will have flushed the synthetic nutes i used for the first while down into the ground bellow the root level< also i gave a bit extra organic nutes in the soil for the same reason.

Up to now aside from 3 clones i have done no trimming or pruning of any sort, i have read many different takes on de foliating but there is way to many things being said both ways i don't know what the right thing is. at the moment i am of the opinion that if it is on the tree it is meant to be there....Can anybody give me some input on this please?

The buds are coming nicely too they seem to be taking shape...

Well here is what she looks like at week 13 ...

Again sorry for the sideways pic... it is right on my pc but the moment i upload it is goes sideways again

Tree_1_Week_13.jpg
Top_1_Week_13.jpg
Branch_2_Week_13.jpg
Branch_1_Week_13.jpg
Bud_4_Week_13.jpg
Bud_3_Week_13.jpg
Bud_2_week_13.jpg
Bud_1_week_13.jpg

weed_problem1.jpeg

Thanks for taking the time to look at this!!!!

Subscribed

Thanks... so on the note of Bat dung, i am going out today to try and find some but i know it is VERY hard to find in South Africa so if i cant find any is there a replacement you would recommend or do i just use molasses then?

:thanks:

Thanks... so on the note of Bat dung, i am going out today to try and find some but i know it is VERY hard to find in South Africa so if i cant find any is there a replacement you would recommend or do i just use molasses then?

:thanks:

Garden nursery, centers, or hardware stores should also carry products by "Dr. Earth" but not sure about South Africa, I like to use their 4-5-4 version of the bat guano. A lot of the times I order it online, but also we have a sponsor that sells a very good flowering product that I have been using as both a foliar spray and watering nutrient SNS 604B Flowering Organic Growth Supplement | Sierra Natural Science

Garden nursery, centers, or hardware stores should also carry products by "Dr. Earth" but not sure about South Africa, I like to use their 4-5-4 version of the bat guano. A lot of the times I order it online, but also we have a sponsor that sells a very good flowering product that I have been using as both a foliar spray and watering nutrient SNS 604B Flowering Organic Growth Supplement | Sierra Natural Science

Thanks I will try to find some at my hydro shop other wise there are lots of garden centre's around i will just have to hunt... i had a look at the Sierra stuff it looks to be the nads but i am just worried if i order now it will only arrive in-time for harvest and that no use...lol

Well any way i will let you know what i found.

Thanks for the help again!

Ok So it's like this...

I still in the 3rd week of flowering, all is well but it has been raining for the past almost 3 weeks strait and there is no sign that it will stop for at least 2 more weeks....don't get me wrong i love the rain and all but this much right when my grow is in flowering is STRESSING me out MAX!

I looked all over for them bat shit but to no avail, the molasses thing is scaring the shit out of me cuzz i might get the wrong one and stuff things up. i found a organic tea at one of the garden centres with a 1-5-4 rating it is an in-house product so i cant really give reverence.

This is what i have in mind for the duration of the grow, I will give nitrosol from now until more or less 4 weeks to harvest then switch to the organic tea for 3 weeks after that and then only water for the last week or however long it has left after stopping the tea also maybe leave the tree in ph'ed water for 24 hr after i cut it down. i think this way i see no need for full scale flush i should have noting inside the plant that will make it smoke or burn shit. please can someone help with this as this flushing issue is stressing me out like fuk!

Thanks to 420 again!!

Here is some buds i saw coming along well (still has a while to go) this morning, just thought i'd share!

P10802761.jpg
P1080278.jpg
P1080283.jpg

What do you guys think?

Happy Smoke and Grow!!!

:420:

Things look fine, if you use only organic fertilizers there's no need to flush, if not, then you can either make or purchase a flushing solution.
I wouldn't be too worried, the plant looks healthy, hope fully you get some sun for you to jump start those buds! :thumb:

Things look fine, if you use only organic fertilizers there's no need to flush, if not, then you can either make or purchase a flushing solution.
I wouldn't be too worried, the plant looks healthy, hope fully you get some sun for you to jump start those buds! :thumb:

Thanks...would give rep but it says I have to spread around before i can give you more...lol

Ya i'm just gunna stick with Organics and besides with all this rain I think it is flushed already...LOL. had a look at the forecast and for the next 14 days it says guess what...MORE FRIKIN RAIN. I was wondering what if i go and buy 2 1000w hps lights and mount them on poles next to the tree would i be able to make up for lost sun or does it not work that way cuzz I was thinking if I can do it indoor it should work outdoor no?

BTW how would i go about making a flush solution this sounds interesting?!

Thanks again for all the advice!!

Happy grow and smoke

nice looking plant, it might be some sort of landrace plant native to your area and do just fine with the rain.

Thanks.... ya i do think it is a local strain, it came from some bag of weed that gets sold in Joburg they just call it outdoor no real idea of what strain it is we just know that shit as outdoor, it is pretty guud weed and is about our middle class weed sativa of sorts. but to get to my point this kind of rain is VERY unusual for us this time of year normally rain season stops around middle Dec at the latest mid Jan and i am not too worried about all the water it seems to be doing guud with all the water but it is the lack of sun that is a kick in the nuts, if it goes on like this it will hurt my yield and also mould becomes a huge problem!

Thanks for you time happy grow and smoke!

Awe, so it's like this...

I am in the last day of week 5 of flowering. At last after 4 weeks of non stop rain we have had 2 days of good old blazing sun and it has done her guud i just hope it keeps up like this :straightface:

I have been going strong with the Organic nutes and it looks guud she is now standing a bit over 3.1m tall, i have been adding extra to make up for the rain flushing more away that usual but is seems to have done her guud. The flowers is a bit under developed due to 4 weeks of rain and no sun, hopefully they catch up with the sun back in full swing but even as it is the Bud's are coming along SO nice the trichomes are filling up and the buds look Nice and dens.

Over all she is healthy and happy so i must be doing things right in spite of the 50 billion gallons of rain i have had ... lol :yahoo:

Well here is some photos i took this morning ...

P1080343.JPG
P1080318.JPG
P1080338.JPG
P1080326.JPG
P10803251.JPG
P10803241.JPG
P10803211.JPG
Head_5.JPG
Head_4.JPG
Head_3.JPG
Head_2.JPG
Head_11.JPG

I will post an update durng the week when the sun has been out for a few days to see what the progress has been...

Thanks for your time again

Happy grow and smoke

That is a beautiful monument you have growing there. Seems like it enjoyed the rain, and with the Sun now it's gonna go crazy. Can't wait to see her put some weight on the branches, going to be a very well rounded plant at the mid-section, and extend up like an X-mas tree. It is certainly aesthetically pleasing to look at already, and is going to continue looking better and better.

I would just say to watch out for moths, they will seek out high standing aromatic flower heads to lay their eggs, your tree is so big it is hard to inspect each and every bud as they get bigger. The last thing you want is for your beautiful tree to get infested with worms. This is the biggest problem, aside mold, that I have as an outdoor grower. Just be aware, that even though everything may seem great, and as the flowers grow, things look great from the outside, but that may not be the case inside the buds, you'll have to actually get up there with the ladder and look into the buds. Worm infestations can spread quick, so just be prepared. They will seek out the biggest, best, and lushest plants to lay their eggs in. Might want to have a bottle of Spinosad on hand, or BT spray. Just a couple of thoughts, hope you don't have too many moths back there in that wonderful garden you have.

Happy Growing mate!:cheer:

I can't believe I missed this journal.. Yeah we call those christmas trees here. You kept it green through the initial flower- the rest should be pretty much autopilot. Good job.. Next time you might want to look up supercropping. It's basically snapping the main cola and then around 20 other colas that grow up to replace it over time. At that kind of veg time you could probably get away with 25 with trellising. You do get thicker colas by trimming away the fluff and concentrating on just those 20-25. It becomes like a bush instead of a christmas tree with long colas instead of long and short as the tree goes up. With that tree you have, you can get a lot off her by staggering the harvesting for the best yield.

You'll have some colas that will be thick and ready. I'd take those first and let the others go. Once you clip the bigger bud producers, the plant will focus on the smaller popcorn branches and they will fatten up. Amazing how weed grows outdoors, you can have all popcorn branches left and if left, they keep producing bud

You don't have to take it all at once :)

That is a beautiful monument you have growing there. Seems like it enjoyed the rain, and with the Sun now it's gonna go crazy. Can't wait to see her put some weight on the branches, going to be a very well rounded plant at the mid-section, and extend up like an X-mas tree. It is certainly aesthetically pleasing to look at already, and is going to continue looking better and better.

I would just say to watch out for moths, they will seek out high standing aromatic flower heads to lay their eggs, your tree is so big it is hard to inspect each and every bud as they get bigger. The last thing you want is for your beautiful tree to get infested with worms. This is the biggest problem, aside mold, that I have as an outdoor grower. Just be aware, that even though everything may seem great, and as the flowers grow, things look great from the outside, but that may not be the case inside the buds, you'll have to actually get up there with the ladder and look into the buds. Worm infestations can spread quick, so just be prepared. They will seek out the biggest, best, and lushest plants to lay their eggs in. Might want to have a bottle of Spinosad on hand, or BT spray. Just a couple of thoughts, hope you don't have too many moths back there in that wonderful garden you have.

Happy Growing mate!:cheer:

Thanks Les...

You called it with the moths they are a problem over here, i am constantly fighting them in my grow house... Ya as it is i try to inspect every Bud on a daily basis the ladder only gets moved away from the plant when i take photos..lol have been having some issues with Garden Snails what will you say i use against them to prevent them from getting to the plant?

Also what is your take on foliar feed at this stage of the race...i don't really know where i stand with this i am afraid i might hurt my plant but then again i would also like to give it optimal feed?!

Thanks again for the advice, it is always nice to get advice from gifted Outdoor Growers like yourself!!!

Happy grow and smoke!

I can't believe I missed this journal.. Yeah we call those christmas trees here. You kept it green through the initial flower- the rest should be pretty much autopilot. Good job.. Next time you might want to look up supercropping. It's basically snapping the main cola and then around 20 other colas that grow up to replace it over time. At that kind of veg time you could probably get away with 25 with trellising. You do get thicker colas by trimming away the fluff and concentrating on just those 20-25. It becomes like a bush instead of a christmas tree with long colas instead of long and short as the tree goes up. With that tree you have, you can get a lot off her by staggering the harvesting for the best yield.

You'll have some colas that will be thick and ready. I'd take those first and let the others go. Once you clip the bigger bud producers, the plant will focus on the smaller popcorn branches and they will fatten up. Amazing how weed grows outdoors, you can have all popcorn branches left and if left, they keep producing bud

You don't have to take it all at once :)

OOH you had my interest now you have my attention !!!

I am gunne look up Supercroping it sounds like a Yield booster.

Ok so now comes the interesting one Lester i Would love your input on this as you just came off a winter grow, Harvesting on a staggered approach sounds like an idea as a recent Journal that Lester did gave me some food for thought.

What if i harvest most but still leave the plant with the ability to keep growing, can i then not keep it going right into winter and keep taking bud off? Look is know it will not give off much but it will be bud no?

Sounds like it might work... please give ya'll inputs please

Happy Grow and Smoke!

You can keep the flowers and buds on there until they are ripe enough to harvest. Staggering your harvest is the best idea, as mentioned, since the top colas will be done before the bottom ones.

There will be some buds below the bottom buds, which may not grow to their potential until all the flowers on top are cut, it is possible those could continue growing through the winter, depending on the climate. Usually you see diminished growth, as the DNA in the cannabis plant signals it to die as winter approaches. But it is possible with the right conditions and root system that the plant could survive the winter and regrow in the next Spring. My buddy, CA215, revegged a huge plant outside, so ya the skys the limit as long as things are done correctly and/or the weather is favorable.

Not sure if this answers any of your questions.

Outstanding grow. Hats off to you. Happy Growing.

Outstanding grow. Hats off to you. Happy Growing.

Thanks for the kind words and taking the time to check out my Journo :thanks:

You can keep the flowers and buds on there until they are ripe enough to harvest. Staggering your harvest is the best idea, as mentioned, since the top colas will be done before the bottom ones.

There will be some buds below the bottom buds, which may not grow to their potential until all the flowers on top are cut, it is possible those could continue growing through the winter, depending on the climate. Usually you see diminished growth, as the DNA in the cannabis plant signals it to die as winter approaches. But it is possible with the right conditions and root system that the plant could survive the winter and regrow in the next Spring. My buddy, CA215, revegged a huge plant outside, so ya the skys the limit as long as things are done correctly and/or the weather is favorable.

Not sure if this answers any of your questions.

YES....thanks for this, i don't think it will last the whole winter as we have some badass winter frost that will kill it so my hope is just to keep it going for as long as it needs for all the bud's to flower out.

I was wondering...if i set aside a part of my garden for a winter grow like you did but with the main difference being i want to install some lights over that part of the garden to help with a longer veg stage and also i think the lights should also help with temp around this part of the garden, is this actually probable or just a huge wast of time?

Thanks for the help

Happy Grow and Smoke

and also i think the lights should also help with temp around this part of the garden, is this actually probable or just a huge wast of time?

I wouldn't rely on outdoor lights to raise the ambient temperature of the air (if that's what you mean) that would be a drop in the barrel and make no difference. If you have frost, I'm not sure how effective a winter cannabis garden would be, for me where I live it never freezes, ever. So with an outdoor winter grow, planning is very important. Your best bet would be to vegetate indoors for the winter, and release sexual mature plants outside in February ( again I don't know what the seasons are like for South Africa) but, right before next Spring, and since they would be sexually mature by then, you could see large Spring harvests next year if done correctly.

I wouldn't so much say things are a waste of time, but rather as an outdoor gardener you need to experiment around with different methods, areas within the yard, and things to know exactly what you are capable of , given the environment and climate you are working with.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom