Janluna

I will admit that I have been a little negligent with my watering practices, but I can asure you this has been a big learning curve. I have been trying to figure out what has been causing issues within Kali for the last couple of weeks. Quite honestly, I would of figured it out sooner if I had just looked in the mirror.

BE1CAADA-D485-46CC-BBAE-570491DA2316.jpeg

This is what over-watering can do my peeps. Luckily she is still in veg and I think I can health her back up.

97C9911D-E196-4E64-A342-296589950942.jpeg

I currently have a small fan directly blowing into the 10 gallon fabric pot from one side. This will help the medium dry up a bit faster and slow down any rotting of the roots that may be taking place; I believe Kali is suffering from some root rotting. So what I will be doing next is mixing a solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide with water (1/2 cup of HP to 8 cups of H2O), and watering her next time she gives me definite signs of thirst.

Kali deserves better, so I will be better, so she can get better.

Is there anythings else I can do?
Either way, I’ll keep you guys posted. 😝

I will admit that I have been a little negligent with my watering practices, but I can asure you this has been a big learning curve. I have been trying to figure out what has been causing issues within Kali for the last couple of weeks. Quite honestly, I would of figured it out sooner if I had just looked in the mirror.

BE1CAADA-D485-46CC-BBAE-570491DA2316.jpeg

This is what over-watering can do my peeps. Luckily she is still in veg and I think I can health her back up.

97C9911D-E196-4E64-A342-296589950942.jpeg

I currently have a small fan directly blowing into the 10 gallon fabric pot from one side. This will help the medium dry up a bit faster and slow down any rotting of the roots that may be taking place; I believe Kali is suffering from some root rotting. So what I will be doing next is mixing a solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide with water (1/2 cup of HP to 8 cups of H2O), and watering her next time she gives me definite signs of thirst.

Kali deserves better, so I will be better, so she can get better.

Is there anythings else I can do?
Either way, I’ll keep you guys posted. 😝
So what does Peroxide & Water do for roots ? I haven't heard of this before. I use Peroxide & water to kill Larvae; but that's all I've ever used it for.

So what does Peroxide & Water do for roots ? I haven't heard of this before. I use Peroxide & water to kill Larvae; but that's all I've ever used it for.

The peroxide will release a blast of Oxygen into the root zone. Which, if the roots are drowning, should help some. Unfortunately the hydrogen peroxide releases most of its Oxygen very quickly, within a couple hots. It does look like it’s got some ill effects from too much water. May also have some mold/ fungus issues on the leaves. That may be a side effect of the root problems.

The peroxide will release a blast of Oxygen into the root zone. Which, if the roots are drowning, should help some. Unfortunately the hydrogen peroxide releases most of its Oxygen very quickly, within a couple hots. It does look like it’s got some ill effects from too much water. May also have some mold/ fungus issues on the leaves. That may be a side effect of the root problems.
I feared as much.

If it was mine, I would go thru and thin out the leaves a touch, taking all the severely damaged ones off, giving her a bit more room to breathe.
I agree, I do not think you will have any trouble bringing her back assuming you don't go back to overwatering.

If it was mine, I would go thru and thin out the leaves a touch, taking all the severely damaged ones off, giving her a bit more room to breathe.
I agree, I do not think you will have any trouble bringing her back assuming you don't go back to overwatering.
Yes! I trimmed off all the damaged leaves. I made sure the soil was completely dry and I gave her a small amount of water with some hydrogen peroxide. She has been responding well since. Will probably be two weeks before she bounces back completely.

Yea, she ded…

Definitely not bouncing back. The issue was not only the over watering, but my RO filters needed changing.

Those things were nasty.

I have new filters on the way, though.
Lesson learned.

If I might make a suggestion.
If you plan to feed the plant with bottled nutrients then i would opt to use Coco in 5 gallon fabric pots, it would be pretty hard to overwater coco and its a better medium for synthetic nutrients.

If you want to go a more organic route then use a proper Clackamas Coots soil recipe, lots of aeration, when you have worms and cover crop in it its almost as forgiving as coco with watering, use the largest pots you can manage in your space (at least 15 gallon) and keep the soil moist, almost like coco just a little less water daily.

Either of these methods will make your life easier.

If I might make a suggestion.
If you plan to feed the plant with bottled nutrients then i would opt to use Coco in 5 gallon fabric pots, it would be pretty hard to overwater coco and its a better medium for synthetic nutrients.

If you want to go a more organic route then use a proper Clackamas Coots soil recipe, lots of aeration, when you have worms and cover crop in it its almost as forgiving as coco with watering, use the largest pots you can manage in your space (at least 15 gallon) and keep the soil moist, almost like coco just a little less water daily.

Either of these methods will make your life easier.
Kali was in a 10 gallon fabric pot with a mix of Ocean Forest & Cultivation Nation 70/30 coco which all my plants love. I also am pretty good with watering, im not too sure how I dropped the ball this time around. But im pretty sure my filters were a big factor.

I have been growing with synthetic nutrients since I started, but a couple of weeks ago I purchased a ton of organic dried nutrients which I want to start using on my next run.

Growing organically is my goal. It has scared me away for far too long. But no longer.

Im going to look into that soil you mentioned. Sounds fancy 😜

Im going to look into that soil you mentioned. Sounds fancy
Do a google search using key words like:
Coot's Super Soil
SubCool's Super Soil

or just look for:
Super Soil

Once you do those searches and have a general idea of a Super Soil you can run the same search over again but this time add 420magazine to the key words. That will tell Mr. Google to include many messages from this "message board". Your new searches will look like this:

Coot's Super Soil 420magazine

Nothing fancy to the soil mix. All the super soil recipes are based on the Holy Trinity of potting soil mixes. That means approx 1/3 Compost or quality natural soil for providing minerals and organic material, 1/3 Peat Moss for water retention and improving the tilth (how loose or fluffy the mix is) and 1/3 Perlite for holding air in the soil plus keeping the other two from packing together.

What makes it a "Super Soil" is that some special amendments are added because of their nutrients or soil building properties. Most of these amendments are easy to find in just about any gardening or grow shop. A few might take some looking around but can be found eventually.

Back
Top Bottom