P91 x Jack the Ripper, Tester - Irie Genetics - Fall 2023

Operation Reservoir Clean Up ... and more

1699835193597.png

Reservoir Math

The second part of my Reservoir Makeover included stair-stepping my 200:1 concentrated liquid nutrients in various increments … Starting with the “A” mixture and followed by the same amount of “B” mixture.

Starting with 15 gallons of water at 6.4 pH, the following happened:

Round 1 -------- pH --- EC
100 ml of A ---- 6.2 --- 0.51
100 ml of B ---- 5.8 --- 0.71

Subtotal A & B: 100 ml each

Round 2
100 ml of A ---- 5.8 --- 1.20
100 ml of B ---- 5.5 --- 1.32

Subtotal A & B: 200 ml each

Round 3
50 ml of A ---- 5.5 --- 1.34
50 ml of B ---- 5.4 --- 1.58

Subtotal A & B: 250 ml each

Round 4
35 ml of A ---- 5.4 --- 1.73
35 ml of B ---- 5.3 --- 1.79

Subtotal A & B: 285 ml each

Interesting Observation:

This is where the experiment proved exciting. The nutrient recipe program I used to design my fertilizer elemental PPM claimed that I needed 19 ml per gallon at my concentrated rate, and it would result in an estimated E.C. of 1.80. 15 (gals) x 19 ml/g = 285 ml of A & B.

I hit 1.79. That was awesome to see.

I continued adding nutrients since I wanted to get to between 2.1 & 2.2 E.C..

Round 5
5 ml of A ---- 5.3 --- 1.81
5 ml of B ---- 5.3 --- 1.82

Subtotal A & B: 290 ml each

Round 6
10 ml of A ---- 5.3 --- 1.87
10 ml of B ---- 5.3 --- 1.89

Subtotal A & B: 300 ml each

Round 7
20 ml of A ---- 5.3 --- 1.93
20 ml of B ---- 5.3 --- 1.95

Subtotal A & B: 320 ml each

Round 8
20 ml of A ---- 5.3 --- 2.05
20 ml of B ---- 5.2 --- 2.12

Subtotal A & B: 340 ml each

So, in the future, I know if I start from scratch, I’ll need 340 ml of my A & B concentrates to get 15 gallons to my typical sweet spot.

Another Self - Inflicted Wound

Recently, I lowered the light percentage from 100% to 40% to cut down on some photography glare.

The following day, I remembered that I needed to change it back. That's no big deal; they can survive a "cloudy" day up there.

The problem is that this light has a dumb safety feature in that it starts its internal timer to zero. That means the light ran a lot longer than it should have. Still, no big deal. It takes a lot to re-veg.

All of this meant my 12/12 went from 0800-2000 to what I thought was 2200-1000.

Except, when I went up there at 4 AM (I couldn't sleep), the lights were out. This freaked me out because I had no clue how much light or dark these plants had since Friday.

Like I said, Re-Vegging shouldn't be an issue, but Hermorphaditing could be.

I'll keep an eye out. Lessons learned, and onward we go.

Note: I've been trying to open the tent less as we wind down in flower—that way, the carbon filters can do their jobs.

Another Self - Inflicted Wound

Recently, I lowered the light percentage from 100% to 40% to cut down on some photography glare.

The following day, I remembered that I needed to change it back. That's no big deal; they can survive a "cloudy" day up there.

The problem is that this light has a dumb safety feature in that it starts its internal timer to zero. That means the light ran a lot longer than it should have. Still, no big deal. It takes a lot to re-veg.

All of this meant my 12/12 went from 0800-2000 to what I thought was 2200-1000.

Except, when I went up there at 4 AM (I couldn't sleep), the lights were out. This freaked me out because I had no clue how much light or dark these plants had since Friday.

Like I said, Re-Vegging shouldn't be an issue, but Hermorphaditing could be.

I'll keep an eye out. Lessons learned, and onward we go.

Note: I've been trying to open the tent less as we wind down in flower—that way, the carbon filters can do their jobs.
I hate timer issues.

I hate timer issues.

Here's the thing, this is an awesome light for a bar-type LED.

Having said that, the only way to take advantage of the sunrise and sunset feature is to use the internal time.

I know; running it at 100% with an external timer would be fine without on/off tapering light intensity.

Even so, I don't know if it is Bro-Science when it comes to the benefits of the gentle lights on and off, period.

I suspect most folks do just fine with instant on and instant off lights.

Day 84 - Flower 44

P91 x Jack the Ripper
by Irie Genetics

Cinderella 99 (from Fem Seed)
by Brothers Grimm

Genius Juice
Brothers Grimm

Family Portrait

Day 88 from Seed

Flower Day 48 for P91 x JTR
Flower Day 44 for Genius Juice

Coming to the end of Week 7 of Flower and they are:

• Frosting up
  • Swelling up and
  • Drinking up nutrients

P91 x Jack the Ripper
Tester from Irie Genetics

Genius Juice
(semi) Tester from Brothers Grimm

Day 88 Olin Mills Family Portrait

Day 95
Flower 55

Group Shot

Left and Center Back - Irie Genetics (Tester): P91 x Jack the Ripper

Right Back - Brothers Grimm: Genius Juice

Right Front - Brothers Grimm: Cinderella 99 (from Fem Seed)

P91 x JTR

Genius Juice

Cinderella 99

Day 100 - Flower 60

Notes:

These dates represent a correction to my number above this post.

Somewhere along the way, I started jumbling dates.

I have 3 almost-ready plants (P91 x JTR). However, at F60, I have some clear trikes left and no amber.

These photos are meant to focus (primarily) on the 2 different flower formations that dominate.

Conditions:

I have lowered the EC to 1.8 and the light to 80% on 12/12.

This weekend, I will convert to RJ's 18/6. That should ride out the last 10 days or so.

Rasta Jeff is a proponent of finishing the flower's last 2 weeks on an 18/6 light cycle. So, I am giving it a try.

P91 x JTR

Genius Juice

Cinderella 99 from Fem Seed

Photography Update

Since much of my grow diaries are around the plant's growth through images, I'll share with you something I am learning as of today.

The one area of photography that has frustrated me is macro photography. The super tight depth of field (DoF) constantly tormented me. Usually, you can improve DoF by changing the F-Stop. Not so much with macro lenses.

I was today's year old when I learned about "Focus Stacking."

Focus Stacking is when you take a series of photos at various focus points while the camera is on a tripod with little to no subject movement.

I was considering buying a high-end Canon Macro lens to replace my Chinese Laowa lens after the sale of a fancy watch that I no longer use. Then, I discovered this $50 program called Affinity Photo 2, which does many things, but Focus Stacking is what I wanted.

Here is my first attempt. I took 13 pics (only 12 are seen here), slightly moving each photo's focus point.

The program takes those photos and crushes them into one, which you then do your final developing.

1702177453905.png

1702177474430.png

1702177492679.png

It's pretty cool, but it is not complete. If you look closely, you will still see the out-of-focus area in the foreground.

This softness is because I made no effort to correct competing overlays. By competing, I mean when 1 or more of the layers combine in-focus areas, they actually soften the focus where they are alike. The program offers a fix, but this is just Day 1 - I'm Learning on the Fly. The other 2 images show 12 (of 13) photos that went into this final pic. This little $50 program may have just saved me $1000. We'll see.

Practice Pic 2

The first thing I noticed in Pic 2, Amber is all about.

I swear I can't see it with my jeweler's loop, but here it is.

P91xJTR Practice JPEG.jpg
Yeah. Even with a top notch lense, that depth is all in the stacking. My wife does some photography. I'd keep the Chinese lense. For a first go, that looks fuggin sweet!

Day 103 - Flower 63
End of Week 9 of Flower

For anyone who checks this post out, please tell me which plants look ready to you (if you can tell by these photos).

P91 x JTR

Genius Juice

Cinderella 99

Back
Top Bottom