PaoniaPurp's El-Cheapo Grow Closet - Soil - Bag Seed & Clone Under DIY LED

Paonia Purple

When Colorado voters decided to make it legal for anyone to grow their own six cannabis plants, I decided it was high time to come out of the closet and build a grow setup in a closet. :D

I’m an electronic hobbyist and have been making LED lamps for some time. I found a good deal on some red and blue 100 watt LED modules, so I purchased one of each and a pair of power supply modules. Combined with a hefty heat sink and a push/pull cooling fan, they make plenty of light. My light meter shows that at about eight inches, the light is as bright as noonday November sun outside.

My grow closet is just about one square meter floor space, and just under two meters high. I plan to keep the plants bent for extra bud sites, so this should be tall enough. I framed in a corner of my shop, insulated with plastic film, fiberglass, and foil backed foam, and roofed that section with transparent polycarbonate greenhouse roofing.
There’s a sun shade/ heat retaining slat shutter just below the ceiling. This keeps the heat loss at night acceptable, and may help keep summer temperatures down.
On the south wall is a heat sink under a small work counter. The heat sink is stacked cinder blocks with water bottles in the cavities for extra thermal mass. During cooling operations, (when the inside temperature rises above 75*F), hot air is pulled down through the heat sink and out into the shop, while cool make up air enters from the north side floor.
The electric space heater (low temperature type) is set to start heating at about 65 degrees. A max/min thermometer next to the plant keeps track of temperature swings. The performance so far has been encouraging, with a maximum registered temperature of 80, and a minimum of 60.

I just use plain tap water, decently drained potting soil, and Miracle Grow houseplant food. The watering is by a batch type drip irrigation setup. A 20 ounce water bottle has a plastic tube glued into it at the bottom, and a plain deck screw is threaded into the free end, about 6 inches away. The screw lets about a drop per second through. I place the drip end next to the stem of whichever plant I want to water and let it run overnight. So far, a bottle of water every other day seems to be pretty good for keeping the soil just nicely moist.
I’ve fed it twice so far, every other week.
I have four plants at the moment. A fairly big male Purple Hash Plant is providing pollen into plastic bags for future germination and seed production. A small clone, the survivor of three attempted clones, is supposed to be Maui. This clone is showing signs of what look like male flowers.

A very healthy seedling of suspected Bubbleicious stock and a newly sprouted seedling of totally unknown parentage round out the flock. The new seedling is just a couple days old. It sprouted right next to the other, and I had to transplant it for the sake of space. These seeds were from Bubbleicious that my grandson gave me, and took forever to germinate (like a full month). I had given up and stuck three cuttings in the soil just to have a place to put them, when the seed popped.

The tall male is about finished, so I will cut him off and use the soil he’s in for the baby seedling. The Maui clone was not thriving, so I (gently) pulled it. No visible roots. It’s now in a jar of thin rooting solution, to see if it can be restored to health.
I will admit I rushed these cuttings- I had no time to deal with them when they became available, so I just soaked the stems in rooting solution and stuck them in the ground. Feel free to chastise and mock me as needed. 
I have another light in the booth- it’s 100 watts of warm white/cool white LED with a good heatsink and single fan. I use it as a photography light, work light, and to fill any portions of the spectrum that the big purple light misses.

The glass jugs on the floor are CO2 generators. (Yeast and sugar water, hee hee. May have to do a distillation run afterwards and make cannarum. :O)

My ultimate goal is to recreate a local legend- the original Paonia Purple bud. It was sticky, strawberry-frankincense-skunk flavored, dark maroon, and powerful as all hell.

I'll keep this journal updated until I harvest and then start another thread.

Thanks to all my mates out there.:thumb:

20131217_purple_hashplant_male.jpg

Re: PaoniaPurps el-cheapo grow closet soil, bagseed, and clone under DIY LED

I moved the light up a little so I can get some branch length to LST. The seedling is extra stocky.
20140109_131440.jpg
It's about two inches high and six inches across at this point.

Thanks Sooo.
purple_baby.jpg
The plant is already stretching- couple of days, couple of inches. I sure hope this is a female, because it's growing like a weed...

Thanks Rhino! I'll be following your grow, too.

Here's a couple new photos. The chunky lady (o g_d please let her be a lady) is looking sooo healthy. :love:
20140114_075917.jpg

A little zoom shows a couple of new branches starting to either side of the nipped site.
20140114_080045.jpg

I'm building a 4 bay bubble cloner, but until its finished, here's the super cheap cloning jug. Drink the root bear, rinse, fill with willow twigs and water, drop a bubbler in the bottom, and now we are rooting with air! I've used willow twigs for years to assist rooting. Willows apparently have rooting hormones in their bark and stems, so (since I haven't been to the garden store to get commercial rooting sauce) that's what I used.

20140114_080314bubbler.jpg

One clone is a mystery with odd bisexual flowers starting. The other is an Agent Orange clone, taken off a flowering female. After reading a thread about "monster daughters" I decided to try taking a clone. If the roots start off well, I'll take a Maui clone from some other flowering females.

Also, the soil pH is just a little basic, about 7.2. I may put a couple drops of phosphoric acid in the next gallon of water to sharpen the mix a little. Cannabis prefers it a little acidic, right?

I treated a gallon of water with a little phosphoric acid to get a pH of about 6.3. I'll water the gal with that and check he soil pH again.

Here she is in training- pipe cleaners bent around the leaf base to pull it down.

20140116_080315_training.jpg

I whipped up a four bay bubble cloner from a grocery store olive tray.
20140114_190633.jpg

Used a hunk of aluminum tube to make a hot cutter. The lid is Mylar, which is a bit brittle. Better to melt than to crack.
20140114_191452.jpg

Three T fittings, four stones, and a bit of tubing and it's almost done.
20140114_190620.jpg

The plugs are hunks of leftover foil backed styrofoam from the insulation job. Just add air and it's bubbling right along.
I'll stick some aluminum foil over the clear plastic lid to give the roots some darkness.

I'm really enjoying this grow so far. This is the most vigorous seedling I've ever seen in anyone's growroom. It's starting to smell like skunk, with a hint of buttered popcorn (I kid you not!)

The plant is so dense and compact that I've had to trim the fan leaves a bit to let some light and air into the interior. There are lots of nice branches starting.
20140117_123021.jpg

Tuning my water with phosphoric acid (then buffering slightly with wood ash) gave me a 6.5 pH watering solution, which after a couple of waterings has brought the soil to pH 6.8
20140116_172317ph_meter.jpg

I've moved the light up a bit more to get some height on the plant before I go to flowering... Nice dense bushy plant.
20140120_074638.jpg

looks good.
im subbed.

- musshy

Hey, thanks, mate! I just figured out that the plant is six weeks old today. :D

good deal, I like a grower who isn't afraid of a little DIY

I have a serious MacGyver gene. :D

My therapist says I'm obsessed because I see pot leaves everywhere...
20140122_093547potclouds.jpg

Speaking of DIY, I needed a calibratable light meter. I took the head off a solar LED lawn stake.
20140122_104348.jpg

Then I nabbed an old VU meter. Nearly any dc meter with a full scale of 10mA or less will do.
20140122_104355.jpg

I wired the positive lead from the panel to the positive lead on the meter and ditto for the negative. Then I shunted across the meter with a multi-turn variable resistor to calibrate.

Now it reads full scale with full sun directly on the panel.

My new 400 watt warm/cool white light makes one sol at about eight inches from the emitters. When I get a couple of bigger plants in my grow space, I'll need more light.

If there's any interest, I'll post a thread in the appropriate forum about the design and building of a high power low cost LED lamp. Cooling is everything...

The plant is still bulking up- her stem is about a quarter inch square at the base. I'm wondering if this is because of great luminous flux, or maybe she's part Rude...

Just a couple of photos. Burly girl is looking healthy, and the seedling that I had to transplant out from under Burley's canopy is also taking hold.

The poor little Maui clone is struggling, trying to root. She was off a flowering female, so I had no real expectations of great results.

THe yellowish tint is an optical illusion.

20140127_093041.jpg
20140127_093036.jpg

There's a most intriguing fragrance when I open the grow room door. Sort of a garlic/skunk/green tomato smell. G_d, do I love growing legally!!! I may start a few more bag seeds soon. I decided to go with SpeeCee's 12/12 rotating grow plan. I'm setting up a secure outdoor grow area for this summer, but around here you can't go outside with plants until mid-May. I might even take a bucket plant up to the high country- the sun at 10,000 feet is really intense, and may have some nice resin effects...
20140128_130752.jpg
So pretty...

A couple of photos. First is a view of the budding sites. An early pinch of the center shoot and some LST have created seven or eight bud sites that are pretty close to the same size and height.

20140203_130139.jpg

The second shot is a close up. The plant has been under 12/12 lighting for a week. I love how furry the branches are- I hope it means it will be a shaggy resin monster when it grows up.

Are those female preflowers? Or am I just thinking wishfully?
20140204_080842-fem_preflowers.jpg

Started a seed the other day in a jumbo peat pellet set down into a 1.2 liter DWC cobbleup. No photo- it's boring so far. :D

Here's a shot of the girl starting to stretch upwards. I didn't really notice, but she's about a foot tall now.

And a shot of the disco lighting.

I wish I had a time machine so I could put these plants in there to speed 'em up.:idea:

Burly girl is starting to smell really good- sort of a spicy peppery smell. After some discussion and research with other members of this forum, I added a UVB reptile health bulb. $19.99 at Petco.
20140208_121413_uvb_added.jpg
UVB is in the dome shaped reflector.

Burly has a couple of new leaf tips that have started curling sideways- is this significant?
20140209_122847curly_tips.jpg

And the seed I planted in the peat pellet on Feb 1 has popped up out of the soil. Meet Miss Bean.
20140210_122345miss_Bean.jpg

I finally got a humidity meter, also at Petco in the reptile department. My closet humidity hovers around 15-20%, pretty low. I have started spraying water on the floor of the grow area a couple of times a day, to see if the plant gets happier.

I trimmed off a lower fan leaf- it was almost completely shaded. It has some spots that look like manganese deficiency, or potassium deficiency. My pH meter still says the soil is at about 6.7 or so. Should I lower it a litttle? I just started increasing the phosphorous via ammonium phosphate (about 250 ppm) added to the regular nute mix. Can excessive P cause spots and curl?

The leaf was very leathery feeling- not a surprise given the usually <20% RH in my cabinet.
20140211_095621_spotted_leaf_closeup_2.jpg
20140211_095610_spotted_leaf_closeup.jpg
20140211_095011_spotted_leaf.jpg

Well Crap. I was out of town for three days and we had a local heat wave -daytime temps above 60F and the grow closet shot up to 110* with a humidity of <5%. The big plant is dead right up to the very tips, crispy dry.
20140223_115829disaster.jpg

The two small plants are looking OK so far, but I really need to find an indoor swamp cooler to add to the grow room.
20140223_115841.jpg

The spots on the leaves are water from a spray bottle.

Back
Top Bottom