People using LED lighting

SmokeyB

I've bin using hps thinking about led with 4 in attic autos would I need to put heat in when lights of as with my hps It stayed warm for the 4 hours they were off but not sure with led It would be 1000w led if I do if not IL use my hps just want to try other ways thanks in advance

I think to best answer that more info would be needed....as in climate....

I'm guessing your winters are cold where you are? How cold?

Personally, if you're worried about it, a cheap thermo controller and a space heater might be worth it for the peace of mind.

Also - some of the cheap LEDs put out heat, so it might also depend on the brand you're using? I use a MH/HPS myself, but I know the cheap ones throw out some heat.

I'm not sure of temp it's insulated well but it is cold yeah could you put a link on so I could have a look please bro not sure what heater you mean cheers for this

I am using 4x 250w leds from @Budget LED in a basement room, in the winter it got pretty chilly in the room at night after the lights go off, but it was perfect without a heater during the summer months. When the lights are on, my room never goes above 80ish, but that is in a chilly basement room so maybe not really relevant to you. I know in my house, I couldn't grow in my attic at all because it is an oven up there in summer, and freezing cold in winter.

It probably makes a huge difference which light you are using too, because some of the cheaper ones put off a lot more heat.

A space heater is basically just a cheap plug in heater, some even come with their own thermostat that can turn the heater on at a temperature.

Sorry- links to outside vendors are a no go so far as I know.

What I can tell you, is that in mine, I use a Inkbird controller bought on Amazon. I have one that I use in my lung room that can turn on two heaters, and the one in the cabinet turns on the fans to cool the cabinet, and a heater can be plugged in for heating. As I said, there are different models, just be sure it does heating/cooling for a better option personally.

A space heater is basically just a cheap plug in heater, some even come with their own thermostat that can turn the heater on at a temperature.

Sorry- links to outside vendors are a no go so far as I know.

What I can tell you, is that in mine, I use a Inkbird controller bought on Amazon. I have one that I use in my lung room that can turn on two heaters, and the one in the cabinet turns on the fans to cool the cabinet, and a heater can be plugged in for heating. As I said, there are different models, just be sure it does heating/cooling for a better option personally.
Cheers IL have a proper read and I might but what I'm looking at up for more advise as it's winter now so maybe better for hps in winter led in summer I'm guna do bit more research cheers bro :)

Cheers IL have a proper read and I might but what I'm looking at up for more advise as it's winter now so maybe better for hps in winter led in summer I'm guna do bit more research cheers bro :)

Feel free to tag or private message me, I'm always willing to share what I've learnt.

If needing small heaters ceramic heaters are the way to go. Use small amount of power for clean heat. With some LED's now during winter you can keep power supplies in grow area for heat and during warm times of year move power supplies out of grow area.

Get one with a thermostat - they usually all have them and set it to turn on when in gets into the low 60s at night. If room is insulated you shouldn't have any issues.

I've grown in the 3rd floor in our last home one room was not heated but insulated sorta ok. Was fine I just left the door open didn't need a heater.

My biggest challenge growing on the top floor was watering.

Most ceramic heaters have adjustable thermostat that will shut off the heat but the fan will still run so it can be used for heater and air circulation. I use one for tent in garage it keeps good temps when it is bellow 20's out here in winter time.
20200910_095029.jpg
20200910_095038.jpg

You can grow in your garage in the winter time in CO?? Damn that's got me thinking now.

How well insulated is your garage? Mine is insulated but it still gets pretty cold down below freezing in Jan and Feb.

You can grow in your garage in the winter time in CO?? Damn that's got me thinking now.

How well insulated is your garage? Mine is insulated but it still gets pretty cold down below freezing in Jan and Feb.

Mine is not insulated them 2x4's are the outside wall lol The drywall above is my two add on bedrooms above left side of garage the right is just 2x4's. It drops around 10's-20's during real cold times but the tent and heater work. I run light from 8pm too 8am for extra heat during coldest times and in summer lights stay the same for coolest times.
20200910_095726.jpg
20200910_100401.jpg

Great idea run lights at night.

I have solar so I wood prefer to run during the times I'm generating power. I've wanted to run out in the garage tho for a while now.

You got me thinking about it. Yeah the cold days are usually sunny so I wouldn't worry much about getting too cold in the day times. Maybe only a few days when its snowing and in the teens/20s but that's rare here.

Nothing like having a extra pound coming from the garage every two months and the colors of buds get crazy in there with temp swings :laugh:

Nothing like having a extra pound coming from the garage every two months and the colors of buds get crazy in there with temp swings :laugh:

This ^^^ what I'm thinking. lol

That's exactly how I'm working things in my grow shed. Nov. - March I'm using HPS & LED the rest of the time. I'll still have to run a space heater 6 - 8 hours during lights out when I get to flower though. Plug the heater into a Heat Mat T-Stat & set it on 70 F & I'm at a decent lights out temp.

Back
Top Bottom