Pests in my girl

Leugim

I found these in my girl. She just started to flower. Has anyone bought live lady bugs or has any experience using them to get rid of pests?

91948759-EC48-47C9-AAEF-07A6642E8EDB.png

04CCB0B8-7007-4730-9B82-00C0200AD25C.png

3ACF5D99-2E3E-4C8E-A02E-73E85EF9C26A.png

DB540C91-DD1B-4A71-A5BC-E81FEB87A48E.png

936BD4B1-689A-4F53-8B30-63622CE0B562.png

thrips.

finding any pest after flower begins is a disaster. you can try the lady bugs.
sns might have something safe but i'm not confident. everything chemical is not gonna work now.

how far in to flower are you ? once you show pistils chemicals are pretty much a no go.

thrips.

finding any pest after flower begins is a disaster. you can try the lady bugs.
sns might have something safe but i'm not confident. everything chemical is not gonna work now.

how far in to flower are you ? once you show pistils chemicals are pretty much a no go.
I just noticed a few hairs today. Not even a week I would say. I won’t get the lady bugs for another 10 days though.
I’m hoping they will work their magic.

I have safely sprayed my buds with Neem 3 weeks from flower with no ill effects. I get thrips and the Neem works for them. I use cold pressed and mix 1 tsp / 1 liter of warm water with a plant based soap (surfactant) free of dyes or perfumes.

I have safely sprayed my buds with Neem 3 weeks from flower with no ill effects. I get thrips and the Neem works for them. I use cold pressed and mix 1 tsp / 1 liter of warm water with a plant based soap (surfactant) free of dyes or perfumes.
Thanks for sharing that. I will try the lady bugs and if that doesn’t work I will try the oil.
I’m so confused as to how they got in my girl.

I just noticed a few hairs today. Not even a week I would say. I won’t get the lady bugs for another 10 days though.
I’m hoping they will work their magic.

you got about a couple weeks.

i find there's about a 3wk 'safe' window as well.
anything i've used neem with starting at wk 4 has ruined the bud.

Thanks for sharing that. I will try the lady bugs and if that doesn’t work I will try the oil.
I’m so confused as to how they got in my girl.

most times they come in on your clothing or pets. if you have house plants they are probably there as well.

edit: thrips need to be treated for a minimum of 3 wks to break the life cycle. you need to start any treatment immediately to have a long enough window if you wanna bring this one in.

The thing with ladybugs is that they stay calm and dormant when kept at a cool temperature because they've been tricked into hibernating. Which means when they warm up they think it's spring time and are VERY ready to do the 'dance with no pants'.
Speaking from experience some will hunt and eat your pest while the rest will either mate or wander off to get stuck in every imaginable nook cranny or crevice in your home.
If you have a pet cat you will not sleep for a few weeks while it crashes through the house all night hunting the escaped ladybugs and ruin their honeymoon LOL.
Maybe it's just my experience though

I dunno, but I would not use Neem.
In fact, I can easily say that I HATE NEEM and will not allow it in the grow area.

If you're gonna use oil, use one that won't mess your flower up. SNS is an oil, and dish soap and water mixture. So is Lost Coast Plant Therapy ... just oil and soap and water.
Or you can save hundreds ... and make your own. Look up the recipe.

Please throw away the Neem, and join us in the 21st century.
It will taste a lot better.

The thing with ladybugs is that they stay calm and dormant when kept at a cool temperature because they've been tricked into hibernating. Which means when they warm up they think it's spring time and are VERY ready to do the 'dance with no pants'.
Speaking from experience some will hunt and eat your pest while the rest will either mate or wander off to get stuck in every imaginable nook cranny or crevice in your home.
If you have a pet cat you will not sleep for a few weeks while it crashes through the house all night hunting the escaped ladybugs and ruin their honeymoon LOL.
Maybe it's just my experience though

ladybug offspring are voracious little assassins though. they'll eventually hoover those thrips up.

I dunno, but I would not use Neem.
In fact, I can easily say that I HATE NEEM and will not allow it in the grow area.

it's acceptable in veg. it's only one arrow in the quiver. i've seen it kinda beat the plants up, it's a lesser of two evils type of thing.

If you're gonna use oil, use one that won't mess your flower up. SNS is an oil, and dish soap and water mixture. So is Lost Coast Plant Therapy ... just oil and soap and water.
Or you can save hundreds ... and make your own. Look up the recipe.

can't get either of those two products here at present. sooo .... about said recipe ? :cheesygrinsmiley:

can't get either of those two products here at present. sooo .... about said recipe ? :cheesygrinsmiley:
In one gallon of distilled water ...
A half oz of peppermint oil, OR rosemary oil NOT BOTH.
One oz of Dawn Dish Soap.

Shake well, and constantly during spray.

Spray plants well, drenching, dripping at or near lights out. Get under the leaves. Do it for every other day for a week.
Now the bad news: You'll need to do it every third day till you harvest.

You can stop a week before harvest ... but, if you're going to save this harvest that's the only way.
Thrips are a bitch. I'd rather have mites.

but ... who will finish first?

Will the thrips eat the plant before the ladybugs can eat the thrips?

the ladybugs are a longer term shot. they have the advantage of being effective throughout flower.

I put the over/under on that garden at .... 12 days.
Can the bugs eat the bugs in twelve days? smh

I predict ... the thrips win.

it's probably not looking the greatest right now. it would help if we had a few pics of the whole plant to judge how bad the infestation is, and how deep in to flower the plants are.

In one gallon of distilled water ...
A half oz of peppermint oil, OR rosemary oil NOT BOTH.
One oz of Dawn Dish Soap.

Shake well, and constantly during spray.

Spray plants well, drenching, dripping at or near lights out. Get under the leaves. Do it for every other day for a week.
Now the bad news: You'll need to do it every third day till you harvest.

You can stop a week before harvest ... but, if you're going to save this harvest that's the only way.
Thrips are a bitch. I'd rather have mites.

i can't do summer grows where i live due to thrips and spider mites.

i know peppermint oil is somewhat safe, and is even used orally as a home remedy for some things, but is considered toxic at higher levels. no idea about rosemary oil. i'd give it a shot though.

an iso / water spray is also effective on the live ones but useless in flower as it melts the trichomes.

@Auggie - 'rather have mites'?? Psycho
I did a 'recipe' once from the internet and it got rid of them, but I didn't rinse the bad at harvest so it tasted bloody awful
'Boil up some tobacco for nicotine, cayenne pepper and a couple of drops of garlic oil - strain and spray for 7 days'
Do not use the internet for finding wacky solutions (unless you're reading my posts here LOL)
The internet is great for answers but has no common sense
Old fashioned OCD patient here sits there and manually removes them, same as mealy bugs
It's laborious but at least it is absolute, ie you know the job is done

Be VERY careful with nicotine.
It is highly toxic and poisonous.
It is easily absorbed thru skin and inhaled.
It will kill.

There's enough poison in three cigarettes to kill a human.

Get some Dr. Doom or SNS ... can be bought via Amazon and there in three days.

water spray is also effective on the live ones but useless in flower as it melts the trichomes.
No it doesn't.
Water does not 'melt' tricomes.
If it did we'd have no flowers if it rained.
Water rolls right off of those oily flowers.

the ladybugs are a longer term shot. they have the advantage of being effective throughout flower.
Yea, but what I'm talking about is ... how many days will it take (including shipping time) for the ladybugs to become effective? Answer: Too long. You need to get some chemicals on those flowers RFN, then when you turn the ladybugs loose on them the pesticides will kill them.

I guess, if I were to speak plainly .... I'm saying that it's too late for ladybugs. You're wasting your money and time with them, get some Plant Therapy and kill the lil bastards.

Water does not 'melt' tricomes.
If it did we'd have no flowers if it rained.
Water rolls right off of those oily flowers.
I think that it is the isopropyl alcohol in the iso/water mix that @bluter recommends in msg #15. He is talking about a common rubbing alcohol mixed with water solution. The alcohol kills the bugs and the water is the carrier and also dilutes it down enough that the mix would probably not catch fire.

I think that it is the isopropyl alcohol in the iso/water mix that @bluter recommends in msg #15. He is talking about a common rubbing alcohol mixed with water solution. The alcohol kills the bugs and the water is the carrier and also dilutes it down enough that the mix would probably not catch fire.
OOoooooh.
Never mind.

Yea, I've never used ETOH (alcohol) on plants. I have used a peroxide solution as a general PM, and bug cure.

Back
Top Bottom