Pests in my girl

I dunno, but I would not use Neem.
In fact, I can easily say that I HATE NEEM and will not allow it in the grow area.

If you're gonna use oil, use one that won't mess your flower up. SNS is an oil, and dish soap and water mixture. So is Lost Coast Plant Therapy ... just oil and soap and water.
Or you can save hundreds ... and make your own. Look up the recipe.

Please throw away the Neem, and join us in the 21st century.
It will taste a lot better.

I keep pests like those thrips away with a mixture of neem + safer soap in say 500 ml of warm water in a spray bottle. The whole plant gets drenched, on boths sides of the leaves. The insecticidal soap is harmless to humans and it kills pests if sprayed directly onto any bugs on the plant. The neem is absorbed into the leaves and kills bugs munching on your plant. So there is a double whammy effect: bugs exposed to the soap, and bugs that arrive later that lasts for several weeks. Neem breaks down after about two weeks, so I do re-apply several times up until about the 5th week of flowering so that by harvest time the neem has broken down. I've used this mixture for years now in my outdoor balcony grows and never had any serious issues with bugs. There are those folks who say they don't like neem but there isn't much reason not to like it, at least I haven't seen those reasons. It's not harmful, it breaks down, and it does the job.

but ... who will finish first?

Will the thrips eat the plant before the ladybugs can eat the thrips?

I put the over/under on that garden at .... 12 days.
Can the bugs eat the bugs in twelve days? smh

I predict ... the thrips win.
I have a feeling I can wait for the lady bugs. I will look at it as learning experience. I’m going to go to school for horticulture and I think maneuvering my way through this problems will give me a bit of more knowledge. I already know I can do it successfully. It’s just my first time dealing with pests.
Still sucks

I keep pests like those thrips away with a mixture of neem + safer soap in say 500 ml of warm water in a spray bottle. The whole plant gets drenched, on boths sides of the leaves. The insecticidal soap is harmless to humans and it kills pests if sprayed directly onto any bugs on the plant. The neem is absorbed into the leaves and kills bugs munching on your plant. So there is a double whammy effect: bugs exposed to the soap, and bugs that arrive later that lasts for several weeks. Neem breaks down after about two weeks, so I do re-apply several times up until about the 5th week of flowering so that by harvest time the neem has broken down. I've used this mixture for years now in my outdoor balcony grows and never had any serious issues with bugs. There are those folks who say they don't like neem but there isn't much reason not to like it, at least I haven't seen those reasons. It's not harmful, it breaks down, and it does the job.
Thanks

No it doesn't.
Water does not 'melt' tricomes.
If it did we'd have no flowers if it rained.
Water rolls right off of those oily flowers.

you edited my response to pull it out of context. quote the whole sentence next time.

an iso / water spray is also effective on the live ones but useless in flower as it melts the trichomes.

a iso / water spray will very much melt trichomes.

you edited my response to pull it out of context. quote the whole sentence next time.

a iso / water spray will very much melt trichomes.
Yes, that's exactly how you dissolve the resin
But @Auggie knows what he's on about, so maybe he means a weak mix early in flower
The only spray my plants ever get is room temp h2o2 solution

you have to let it coat the leaves if you spray. it has about a 6 wk half life but is only effective on the bugs a couple days after spraying. it really has to hit them to work. when you spray, do so from the bottom up, to hit the undersides of the leaves.

if in soil you can add it on the water side as a drench as well. it won't work as well in coco or hempy as the media won't hold it long enough to work in to the plant internally.

the biggest issue with neem is it will flavour the buds something awful to the point you won't want to ingest it. it's only advantage is it is not toxic to humans.

Do you rinse neem or let it sit for a while?
Neem Oil is a thick liquid and the oil is what is usually used for insect control.

Not to be confused with Neem Seed Meal which is ground up seeds after they have been pressed to squeeze the oil out. The Neem Seed Meal is often used to help control insects in the soil and as a nutrient additive since it is high in Nitrogen and has some of the other macro nutrients. The Down To Earth company has Neem Seed Meal listed as having a N-P-K ratio of 6-1-2.

Neem Seed Meal can be mixed with water and allowed to sit for 3 days or so and then the tea can be used for foliar feeding.

Neem Oil is a thick liquid and the oil is what is usually used for insect control.

Not to be confused with Neem Seed Meal which is ground up seeds after they have been pressed to squeeze the oil out. The Neem Seed Meal is often used to help control insects in the soil and as a nutrient additive since it is high in Nitrogen and has some of the other macro nutrients. The Down To Earth company has Neem Seed Meal listed as having a N-P-K ratio of 6-1-2.

Neem Seed Meal can be mixed with water and allowed to sit for 3 days or so and then the tea can be used for foliar feeding.
Thanks for that. I’m sure it will become handy. I already bought the oil. Just trying to prevent them from spreading more till my lady bugs arrive.

you have to let it coat the leaves if you spray. it has about a 6 wk half life but is only effective on the bugs a couple days after spraying. it really has to hit them to work. when you spray, do so from the bottom up, to hit the undersides of the leaves.

if in soil you can add it on the water side as a drench as well. it won't work as well in coco or hempy as the media won't hold it long enough to work in to the plant internally.

the biggest issue with neem is it will flavour the buds something awful to the point you won't want to ingest it. it's only advantage is it is not toxic to humans.
I’ma bit concern as to what will happen to my buds quality and flavor.

I’ma bit concern as to what will happen to my buds quality and flavor.

neem oil will ruin the flavour if it's used too late in flower for the stuff to naturally dissipate.

edti : it will take of minimum of six wks to get rid of after treatment stops.

I’m only using it for 9 days. This is my first week of noticing hairs in my girl.
Lady bugs will hopefully take over after that for the rest flowering.

neem oil will ruin the flavour if it's used too late in flower for the stuff to naturally dissipate.

edti : it will take of minimum of six wks to get rid of after treatment stops.
Do I keep reapplying the neem oil for 7 days or just once and rinse it after 7 days?
Thanks

I got Thrips in flower, I added Diatomaceous Earth to the top of the soil. I then stripped off most of the fan leaves (not sure if that was needed). I do the defoliate around this time anyway for air flow.

Watched them and checked eveyday for 5 days and they were gone. Thrips breed in the soil. So, adding the Diatomaceous Earth to the top of the soil, IMO, broke the life cyclical of the thrips.

I got Thrips in flower, I added Diatomaceous Earth to the top of the soil. I then stripped off most of the fan leaves (not sure if that was needed). I do the defoliate around this time anyway for air flow.

Watched them and checked eveyday for 5 days and they were gone. Thrips breed in the soil. So, adding the Diatomaceous Earth to the top of the soil, IMO, broke the life cyclical of the thrips.

good call.

you can do an h202 flush to take out the larvae as well. i missed that.

for the next two wks you could also run a hotshot but it would have be in now and pulled inside 2 wks. and it's controversial as it's death from above. super chemical. you really want that well gone by harvest

Thanks much
I have used diautomaceous earth before. I don’t know why I didn’t think to ask about it again.

%knows what he's on about, so maybe he means a weak mix early in flower
No.
My error was much more simple than that.
Bluto said something ... or SOMEBODY did about an iso-water solution.
I did not interpret "iso" as alcohol, and I stuck with the water.
Maybe someone is in search of water.
Dunno what I was thinking.
I may have been, you know, under the influence.

I realize NOW that isopropyl alcohol is what he was talking about.

We use 99% alcohol for cleaning, mostly in the trim room.
I would never spray ETOH, or neem on a plant.

Neem will break that life cycle too. Just spray the mix straight onto the soil. It's a great natural insecticide, esp when mixed with surgical or "safer" soap.

:hookah:

Back
Top Bottom