PH in Fox Farm soil

Hi guys I am a first-time grower and I am getting ready to use Fox Farms Happy Frog. Would it be okay to use spring water from a bottle or distilled ? My other question is using the cheap prong meters are they accurate at testing the pH of the soil
Hi Christopher and Welcome. The consensus is the cheap ones don't work. I've never used that soil before. If you can't use your tap water then I'd use the bottled first. Second I'd go with the distilled. If you use distilled you'll need more cal mag as there's no minerals in it they need.

Hi guys I am a first-time grower and I am getting ready to use Fox Farms Happy Frog. Would it be okay to use spring water from a bottle or distilled ? My other question is using the cheap prong meters are they accurate at testing the pH of the soil

Hey @Christopher Bennett , welcome to this awesome community!

We can definitely help you out with your all your questions.

Fox Farms Happy Frog (FF HF) is an excellent choice in soil. Its pH starts around 6.8 and has dolomite lime added to help with the pH soil drift.

Using the cheap prong meters are not very accurate at testing the pH of the soil. If we ever want to know the pH of the soil, we will do a proper "soil slurry pH test".

We typically do not track the pH of the soil, because it has the innate ability to buffer the pH naturally.

We typically do track the pH and TDS of of our water/feed going into the soil and like to keep our water/feed in the 6.5 to 6.7 range.

Do you have a pH pen and a TDS pen yet?

Its a good idea to track the EC of your feeds as well.

Depending on the quality of your water (pH & TDS), you can just use tap water or well water.

pHChartForSoil.JPG

Please let us know more about your grow so we can help you to be successful!

This site has everything you could ever want including sponsor discounts, so make sure you head over to @George from The Vault 's links in my signature below - say hi and enter for your chance to win high quality seeds.

Here's a tip to help get you started:

00.jpg
The Complete Guide To Germinating Cannabis Seeds

Hi Christopher and Welcome. The consensus is the cheap ones don't work. I've never used that soil before. If you can't use your tap water then I'd use the bottled first. Second I'd go with the distilled. If you use distilled you'll need more cal mag as there's no minerals in it they need.
Thank you for your response that's kind of what I was thinking.. on my first attempt at growing I use distilled water and pH it I used the cheap prong meter to test it and it was fine but the next day I would test the soil and it was almost in the eights

Hey @Christopher Bennett , welcome to this awesome community!

We can definitely help you out with your all your questions.

Fox Farms Happy Frog (FF HF) is an excellent choice in soil. Its pH starts around 6.8 and has dolomite lime added to help with the pH soil drift.

Using the cheap prong meters are not very accurate at testing the pH of the soil. If we ever want to know the pH of the soil, we will do a proper "soil slurry pH test".

We typically do not track the pH of the soil, because it has the innate ability to buffer the pH naturally.

We typically do track the pH and TDS of of our water/feed going into the soil and like to keep our water/feed in the 6.5 to 6.7 range.

Do you have a pH pen and a TDS pen yet?

Its a good idea to track the EC of your feeds as well.

Depending on the quality of your water (pH & TDS), you can just use tap water or well water.

pHChartForSoil.JPG

Please let us know more about your grow so we can help you to be successful!

This site has everything you could ever want including sponsor discounts, so make sure you head over to @George from The Vault 's links in my signature below - say hi and enter for your chance to win high quality seeds.

Here's a tip to help get you started:

00.jpg
The Complete Guide To Germinating Cannabis Seeds
Thank you very much for the awesome information! I just recently got my pens and that's how I realized that distilled water is way lower than 7 .0 which may have been my problem I think I'm on the right track now

What's reasonable to you

Light is probably the most important purchase, besides seed genetics, in growing

@Budget LED has amazing white light LED, all I use

I just have one more question from you guys . I just bought a 48 by 48 by 80 tent and was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on the lighting LED that I should use. For a reasonable price

Thanks @Chris Scorpio for the mention. We have some great options to fill you space. If interested please let us know! I dont want to spam your thread.

Welcome to the community. You have received great advice so far. I’d have to recommend BudgetLED They have tons of options to customize to your needs.

good luck :green_heart:

I'm 2 months in with northern lights in Fox Farm soil. Dont check soil, but check water and notes with a 10 buck electronic ph tester. I'm new too. First crop. Using Fox Farm three bottle notes. Every third watering. Everything is going very well. Good luck and stay frosty.

Thank you for your reply that's what I'm going to do from now on! The problem I had with my first plant was that I would pH the water it would check fine and then the next day I put the cheap prong meter in the soil and it would always read in the eights no matter how much I pH the water the plant grew okay I had some yellowing issues but it turned out to be a male and I scrapped it.

Fox farm soil pH is between 6.3-6.8.

Here is a map of hard water areas on the US. if you are in the lighter areas you may be able to use your tap.
View media item 1751094
Let me know if you aren't in the US. I can probably dig up a map for your area.

Back
Top Bottom