Please help, what has gone wrong?

Narg0th

Hey guys, one of my bagseed plants has taken a turn for the worse... Could this be due to the very high temps we have had here over the past couple of days, or is it a deficiency?

Cheers :)

DSCF07851.JPG

It def looks like heat-stress. You need ventilation on it for sure. If it gets really hot during the days, then you should run your light cycle at night when its alot cooler, then during the day they'll be in the dark-cycle.(this way the 18hrs on will mostly be during the night and early morning...that way you can cut the lights off for 6hrs during the hottest time of day.) This will def help with heating problems. Also, its a good idea to run ventilation out of your grow box too. If you can't replace the air every 5minutes on the min, they won't produce properly.
CHEERS!!!

wow thanks man, she hasn't gotten any worse, but she hasn't gotten any better either. I have two little 6inch intake/exhaust fans, with another one inside for circulation, but it looks like im going to have to up-size lol. 30 degrees in the shade for at least for the next few weeks, probably more.. will it be okay to change the time cycle with my plants flowering? I do have them running through the day.. that's a great tip, cheers.

I just need a bloody air conditioner in my house lol. Im in worse condition than the plants haha

yep what he said, lol! keep that temp down and put in a circulation fan moving air around. this should help some, but only if room is properly ventilated.

DSCF07912.JPG

Here is a pic taken just now, of my four beautiful little mini plants lol. The one affected by heat is second from the left, and looks to be predominantly sativa. It has slowly bounced back since the couple of super-hot days. The other three definitely all look to be heavily indica. All are in flower, but are tiny, as i had them in a smaller box with a heap of CFLs, and have just swapped to a 400w HPS. So my question is, are sativas known to be harder to grow? more picky with their conditions? Or is it strain specific?

These are all bagseed by the way, and all girls. Cant believe my luck :) i never win anything!

HI Nargoth,
Fellow Aussie here mate... How you doin?? Well i just came across your journal when I saw that you had similar probs as me, Ive had probs with the 37*C plus days here lately. Even with 4 fans blowing its difficult to maintain temps under 30* and Ive came home to my girl looking nearly dead 4 times now - my mrs has no clue how to keep a plant alive - she seems to like to watch it wither:(
But after a good watering, an hour or so later she s all perky again. Also i was under watering her, instead of 13L Ive only bin giving her about 8L, so she drying out real quick.
Its good to have an opening up top so the heat can escape and a fan below pushing air up and I always have a fan between globe and plant tops to move air between them. And us Aussies must know how to grow girls:) Out of about 80 plants Ive ever grown, I have only sprouted 1 male to this date, So im damn lucky with my girls they werent Fem. seeds, just Bagseed also.. But sourced from good buds.
And didnt you know mate - Julia Gillard has legalised weed growth n use now, as she found that most voters who dont like her smoke weed. So we re free to grow weed mate!! lol.. Well in S.A its fine, ACT its fine, W.A its decriminilised and some places in NSW are fine too - NIMBIN:):) And as long as youre growing below the 3 p/household & not selling your meds, youll be fine.. I do not use Hydroponics, I only use artificial lighting.. Sativa s are a hardy strain, pending on its genetics /strain of course, but I like Sativa . Im currently got an Indica I think??
Long as I get good harvest Ill be happy.. Take it easy mate, and If youre after some info, have a quick look at my COMPLETED journal below in my Signature - The top one..Northern lights cross- Its actualy C99xPr, a typo!!
Well mate ill have to check out your grow bit more later. Take care, Smokemup..

Hey Smokemup :) glad to see another Aussie on here, are you reallly from Nimbin? if so, there is much jealousy coming from this little smoker.

How recently was this Gillard thing? as far as i know, in Victoria, you can have up to nine plants before trafficking gets thrown at you, but only one is enough to get you charged.. I really dont know lol, i havn't really thought about getting caught yet lol. Thats awesome news if it is true :D

And when you say you are giving your girl 8L, and that is under-watering? WTF? lol. How often is that, and how big is your pot?
Mine get about 8L a month lol

Hey NOGO, ( i made u a nik name:) ) lol..
Yeah theres a few of us on here atm, all doing our best to grow some herb!! Ans soz mate, I WAS TALKING SHIT ABOUT GILLARD!!! Was just saying, I reckon if she knew she was gunna lose an election, she d pull some shit stunt like that to try get votes from us smokers:)
I have a whole Julia Gillard hate thing going on, ever since poor Ruddy got sacked, Ive hated her! So I call her DARTH GILLARD, an evil robot from space whos out to destroy us.. I even had a whole series of movies named after her, Gillard; - The government strikes back, Gillard; - Return of the poverty, and her latest - Gillard;attack on the doles.. And yes, I was baked while I came up with this, my FB page copped the brunt of it:) Stupid governments, all they do is shit on the poor and sick and give major tax cuts to rich fockers.. BOOOOO!!! says the crowd.. lol.
In Victoria the laws are totally screwed, you can get more jail for growing couple plants than a Culpable driving charge?? Adelaide/ACT are probably the best to grow, but Id never have a field of weed, Id only ever need 2 plants going to keep me happy!! If I got 14oz from each, thats 28 oz, so I could give it a break between grows, and have 2 strains to toke..
In Perth, it was ok to grow outdoors too, and this is where I met most of the guys who schooled me a little.. An old couple who were quiet as door mice, I mean, ya d think they may have a beer now n then but not toke the herb!! One day the wife said to me I just cant wait to get home and have a sesh.. I was like:thedoubletake: and they were kind enough to show me what they did and what they used. Soil growers of course;)
And that was a huge step in my learning curve, from that I always improved on previous attempts.
But yeah, back to the chronic, My girl sits in a 35 litre pot bro, So its decent size.. Also the soil mix I made this time was a little more aerated so I could hopefully avoid any Fungus Gnat drama's, and thus far, Ive been lucky to see a couple over her grow.
My last grow was in about the same sized pot, and she used to get fed 15L every 3 days or so, As that soil was containing more HUMUS SOIL it held water longer and thats where the Gnats liked to in habit.. This soil dries faster, so its important for me to check her every 2nd day as if Im out in my guessing, she will suffer again and go limp. I DONT LIKE SEEING HER LIKE THAT!!!
So yeah Im feeding now about 10L, and 48hrs after I check the soils moisture with my meter, and if the first 5 inches is dry well its usually around time for her drink.
Well I hope this answers ya Q's a bit.. Take it easy and watch those temps!!! Buy some desk fans mate, and a small carabina clip and hook it thru the top of the fan and hang it at whatever height you need, I at least always try to assure theres moving air around her, as I dont use Co2 or such, I do what I can, and have a tub of water to try add some RH to the space.
Cya bud, Smokemup

Top notch response bro, much needed info in there, especially about your little "Gillard" series haha i would watch it. Anyways, too frazzled for typing. Peace :D

Cheers mate, and yeah if I ever meet Steven Spielberg Ill discuss my movie series with him;) lol..
So how are your girls going mate? Have they had any more troubles with showing symptoms of stress? Hope ya get it sorted, later, Smokemup

Hey man, yeah things have sorted themselves out, sort of lol.

CAM00149.jpg

CAM00147.jpg

She looks pretty good, apart from the odd mutated leaf. Not really worried about these.. it looks like they are just twisting to get more light, in a cramped space.. Is this right or should i start worrying?

Lol, cheers, peace all.

AWSUM NEWS MATE!!
Well, she looks to be in flower, and during flower they stretch abit, and if tethered, like yours and mine, they will bend and move to get to the light.. Just a quck observation question, how often do you water your girls and how much?? I only ask as they seem to be in similar size to me ( 35 L ) which is fairly big. I need to water mine, to get her a good drink, at least 10L of fluids. As mine is well draining, I water twice - 5L once and the rest a few hours later..
This will be slowing down your plants growth if they are under watered too.. Dont go crazy with nutrients, have a loo around and find some Seasol if you can, and theres anothr version called Powerfeed which IMO is great as it has hormones, amino acids,beneficial bacteri. I use them both along with some other organic soluble food. And some may tell you to cut N out during flower, you can if you like, but I do believe they still use N to some xtent during flower, so I still give light dose of it @20days flower.
Also the height of your light may also effect your yield/grow so it should be safe to have the 400w about 25cm from tops long as sufficient air circulation between globe n top of plant. BURN - NO GOOD!!
I hope this helps you, and do you have a PH tester/meter? Keeping the soil to about 6.7 is a good PH for your girl. My last grow had a few mess ups with the soil as I added GOLDEN SYRUP instead of MOLASSES, and my girl showed every symptom under the sun!! So I tried nearly evrythin. I had trouble keeping ph above 6.2, and she looked to have some probs going on but it was mainly due to the G/syrup blocking its pores. And on harvest, I noticed syrup being excreted from the nderside of the leaves..Poor girl was choking on it:(
GOODLUCK AND HOPE SOME OF THIS HELPS?? Smokemup

Another thing that can help is to stabilize the root temp....You can do this by taking the air temps and then creating your water to be 10degrees cooler then the air temp...this will bring the heat down internally....Also, when you mentioned an AC unit, you hit it spot-on bro! This will help EVERYTHING out! Your doing well though!!! Troubleshooting is #1 in gardening!

Oh yeh, If you utalize a C02 bag or a C02 tank unit, your plants will be *WAY* more impervious to heat. Also, Cyco makes a nutrient called: "Silica"...It helps plants sustain through "less-then-ideal" situtations....They also make "Dr-Repair" which is absolutely AWESOME IMHO! Both of these will help your plant deal with the higher temps.. Hope it helps man!

CHEERS!!!
CONCRETE-SEED

lol...one more thing I noticed is that the "squared" film used as "reflective-surface" looks like unfolded survival-blanket....If it is, it's used to trap and keep *HUGE* amounts of heat and that may be the reason you have unbarable heat even with fans, etc....Take it down and use flat-white paint or "panda-plastic"....I bet you'll get a 12degree difference just by removing that film...

CHEERS! (Again, lol)

Oh goodness..... i think i need a tissue after all this great info! :) cheers!

About my pot sizes, im nowhere near as big as you Smokem, unfortunately there is no volumetric measurement on them, only 250mm. As far as i can tell they are only around 10L.. Im watering them a little bit, maybe 3-400mL every day during the hot spells, and every second day when it cools down.

Seasol is easy to come by around here, although i have been given Growrite and Budrite 2-part hydroponic solution, and have been told this is excellent to use for soil ferts also.... was this person mistaken? My plants seem to have responded well to it, i think haha.

Yep i do have a cheap PH meter, and would you believe my luck, my tap water sits on a steady 6.7 :D i have only had to adjust one plant, which got a little low.

I think ill leave the light where it is for now, it is fairly warm in there, and there is no room for extra fans lol. thinking of cutting a few holes to mount PC fans in, but i smoke too much and am lazy.

And cheers for the tip about Co2 Concrete :) i didnt know it would improve the plants overall health and resilience, but now that i think about it, it makes sense haha. damned pot.

Ill put up some more pics later today, in here and my other journals. Some crazy shit has been happening over the past week lol.

Peace :D

Whoa, i didnt see the comment about the silver paper. It is not a blanket lol, it is insulation paper, (blue on the other side) but i do have white, so ill change that.

Here is a pic from today anyways.

Christine_2_.JPG

Christine_1_.JPG

Not "Blanket"...lol...a "survival-blanket"...Its pretty much like plastic tin-foil meant to keep people warm in emergencies & trust me when I tell you I see people using them because they are $2 at your local Pep-Boys Checkout line, lol..... Anyway, thats kinda what I meant is any type of insulating-wrap will do two things....Keep heat in, or keep heat out. That can be a good thing or bad thing depending on what your goals are. Here; its a bad thing.

Its looking really good bro!
CHEERS!

Back
Top Bottom