Please help

ecstaticfrog

420 Member
Hi all,
This is my first time posting,and would really like some help.
After a heavy rain a part of the main stalk got brown and a couple of lower branches died.
Is this root rot?

Attachments

• 20180902_103843.jpg
    20180902_103843.jpg
    916.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 20180902_103839.jpg
    20180902_103839.jpg
    1,009 KB · Views: 165
Morning and welcome to the 420 family.

Easiest way to identify root rot is by scratching the surface of soil gently (I use my fingers), until you start to notice some surface roots. You are looking for healthy, white, firm roots, with white root hairs. If roots are browning and soil is “mushy”, you may be experiencing some rot. Grab a handful of soil and close your hand firmly. If the soil stays in a clumped up ball when you open your hand, you are not getting enough drainage in soil.

Picture of entire plant would be more helpful, browning stalks are normal on my plants, but I grow monster bushes, and I attribute this (on my plants) to lack of sunlight penetrating through the plant. If the stalk is slimy to the touch in brown section of stalk, could be slugs as well. I get this a lot on lower section of stalk.

In my opinion, from what you are describing, you are experiencing a disease called brown stem rot, which is more likely to affect plants in the later reproductive stage. Discoloration starts at the bottom and moves upward.

As far as lower branches browning and dying, one could write a book on variables (soil type, nutes, sunlight exc...)contributing to this. Need to see the entire picture to identify why this is happening.

******Easiest way to eliminate root and brown stem rot is growing in fabric pots. The fabric promotes air pruning of the roots, preventing rot. I have yet to hear of anyone experiencing root rot in a fabric pot.

I will update post later with pics of similar color browning stalks on my plants from previous grows for comparison. Have to dig them up.

Hi Tattoodlineman and thanks for you detailed answer.
I scratced the surface as you described and found that most of the root hairs are brown.bigger roots are white.
My mix has 25% perlite and soil doesnt stay clumpsy after pressing in my hand.
This plant is rather small but i planted it late so there is good light penetration.
If indeed is stem rot what can i do to save it?
Since today morning 3 more stems are wilting.

Attachments

• 20180902_170118.jpg
    20180902_170118.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 147
  • 20180902_170220.jpg
    20180902_170220.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 141
It does look and sound like root rot. The best thing you can do is transplant it. Get a cloth pot and whatever your favorite potting soil is and get some Superthrive or other transplanting liquid. Dig the plant up and let it soak in a bucket of Superthrive while you prepare the new cloth pot. Then just plant it in the pot. There's no guarantee it will work, but it will just die if you leave it in the ground.

Hey, I don't have any real helpful input because I don't grow outdoors nor have I ever experienced it. But from everything I see and others' input I'd say you may have caught it in time to save it. I completely agree with @Tattoodlineman and @HayStack about transplanting asap, and into a FABRIC POT. I actually picked up some for my next round of autos per someone's suggestion, and most growers that use them will swear by their dependability in preventing these issues from the start.

Either way, I really hope that you get it taken care of and see a full recovery!

Just in case, if you think she's healthy enough, and ONLY if you think you can do it without stressing her over the limit, with the current state considered, to take a cutting from any spot, it might not be a bad idea to get a clone going. *knock on wood*
Just in case she doesn't make it. But, I have faith that you caught it early enough to help your girl, and best of luck mate!

:goodluck:

Yup. You’ve definitely identified your problem and controlling it (without transplanting) will be difficult as once symptoms are observed in the lower portion of the plant, by that time damage to the roots or stem is usually severe.
Those last pictures you posted looks like wilting and dieback on lower portion of plant all caused from the rot.

If it was me, since you’re noticing effects of root rot moving upwards effecting more of the plant, I would transplant. You stated bigger roots look white so you have something to work with.
With that being said, I have never transplanted a plant out of the ground, nor have I ever transplanted during flower.

As stated above, no guarantees, but better than watching that girl slowly die.

What strain is she?

Thank you all for your answers.
I did a heavy watering with h2o2 last night and will do a watering with superthrive tomorrow.
I really think that it wont make it after a transplant 14 days into flowering.
Anyway this is the smallest one i have.
At the moment i am isolated here so cant get my hands on some fabric pots.
@Tattoodlineman This is Barneys Laughing Buddha.
Taking a clone will be worthless as its already too late for this season.
Thanks again for your input!

Though we don't grow here in China, still learn a lot from you! And thanks so much @Tattoodlineman for the professional explaination! :goodjob: love the 420 family!

Hey thanks for the kind words.
Growing up on a farm you learn to identify plant problems very quickly. Could be the difference between feeding your family, or going hungry and loosing thousands of $ worth of crop.

Well, that and I come from a family of plant pathologist’s. Lol

Hey thanks for the kind words.
Growing up on a farm you learn to identify plant problems very quickly. Could be the difference between feeding your family, or going hungry and loosing thousands of $ worth of crop.

Well, that and I come from a family of plant pathologist’s. Lol
True! :goodjob:

Thank you all for your answers.
I did a heavy watering with h2o2 last night and will do a watering with superthrive tomorrow.
I really think that it wont make it after a transplant 14 days into flowering.
Anyway this is the smallest one i have.
At the moment i am isolated here so cant get my hands on some fabric pots.
@Tattoodlineman This is Barneys Laughing Buddha.
Taking a clone will be worthless as its already too late for this season.
Thanks again for your input!
If it continues to get worse, I would transplant it. You can even use an old pot or a 5 gallon bucket of you have nothing else. But the bigger the pot, the happier it will be.

Back
Top Bottom