Promix help please

Four days later !

Still perfectly healthy, the back left Gelato is now 29" tall, her sister (topped) on the right is 24"...

But, with four main tops and being shorter (more plant/tops in the "good" zone of light) I believe this is the way to go with Auto Sativa dominate strains.

And for the record, she was accidentally topped After she started flowering.

Stupid boo boo :rolleyes:

As I was tying the top down, I thought to myself, slightly past 90 degrees might not be a good idea.

Her next watering was late and the stem had snapped, sigh.

Ahhhh, an opportunity to learn something, he, he..

The runt of the family, the Purple Silverback in the middle is now 15" and looking Gorgeous !

Slow starter but coming on Strong and still stretching....

Top leaves are a little curled so I moved her down a bit. Too much love :love:

PS 17 Feb 2022 Day 40 - Copy.jpg

The Girls 17 Feb 2022 Day 40 - Copy.jpg

ProMix HP has been my grow medium of choice for a while now but switching to MC and Not having to ph my water has increased the Fun part of my grow !

The taller Gelato has been "flowering" for over a week now with no issues. Fingers crossed, eh ?

Cheers
Nice! They look great! The hp does not require ph’d water either? Or is that the bx? I wouldn know. I returned it. Found bugs everywhere. Now I have 50 dollars worth of coco and spent another 100 on my super special secret soil lol. I just build a blend of different brands with mycros. Nothing special. But the promix Mc is my base. And the ladies love it!!!! Essp their roots

The hp does not require ph’d water either? Or is that the bx?

Neither the BX or HP requires pH'd water/nutrient solutions. Same with the Premium Moisture Control or All Purpose.

Hey Cult how are you doing today my friend.
Promix has no soil.
It's hydroponic similar rules as coco, not the exact same though.
Feed at 5.8
Next day plain water.
Then feed again the next day.
Every day just alternate Feed and water.

Stay safe
Bill
Hey everyone.
Question: I use Promix HP and I’ve always PH’d to 6.2. This seems to be working fine but would I be better off at 5.8? Is it going to increase yield? I do find when I’m adding nutrients to my water that I’m having to use what I call a significant amount of PH “up” to counteract all the nutes and get to 6.2. PH’ing to 5.8 would definitely be easier to achieve.
Tia.

It does. Never use too much cal and mag have a tendency to be overused by growers and it causes an inability to upload nutes-a lock out. So follow the spec on the bottle and just once a week. I've had strains that needed a little more but you will notice...use this chart, too.

nutrient chart.jpg
Hey @Krissi1982
Just once per week for cal mag? I’m watering or feeding my girls every 2-3 days alternating feed or water but I’ve been adding cal mag every time. Seems like that might be too much? I haven’t noticed any issues but if it’s doing anything to decrease my yields I’m definitely changing it to once per week : )

Hey everyone.
Question: I use Promix HP and I’ve always PH’d to 6.2. This seems to be working fine but would I be better off at 5.8? Is it going to increase yield? I do find when I’m adding nutrients to my water that I’m having to use what I call a significant amount of PH “up” to counteract all the nutes and get to 6.2. PH’ing to 5.8 would definitely be easier to achieve.
Tia.
You shouldn have to ph it all. I haven been. Lol. Green green jelly bean. :)

And when using Amazon the purchase could be from an independent business who has to mark it up to pay the Amazon commissions. Amazon is not the god of purchasing that so many people think it is.
That is soooo true. Amazon is great for Amazons’ bottom line and their advertising is definitely a plus for sellers but they gauge us sellers like crazy. It’s ridiculous actually. But they have all the power.

Hey everyone.
Tia.

You need to review @InTheShed posts on the previous page. You do not need to pH adjust your nutrient solution! The pH of the nutrient solution is quite inconsequential when compared to the alkalinity of your water and the type of Nitrogen that is used in your fertilizer. Pro-Mix is already buffered to a pH of 5.8 right out of the bag.

Directly from Pro-Mix (Google search result for "is Pro-Mix buffered")

Using PRO-MIX in Hydroponics​

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

The definition of hydroponics is growing plants in a liquid nutrient solution without soil. In classic hydroponic growing systems the plant roots are either suspended in a liquid nutrient solution or in an inert medium such as perlite, gravel or rockwool, with the nutrient solution flowing through the medium. With the increased popularity of indoor gardening, the term hydroponics has been associated with peat-based soilless growing media like PRO-MIX. While in the truest definition, plant production in soilless media is similar to hydroponics, there are some differences in the way it is managed.

With classic hydroponics, the nutrient solution must be very closely monitored for nutrient levels and pH since there is no buffering. Buffering is the ability to resist changes in pH and nutrient levels. If the water source has high soluble salts, the grower will often purify the water with reverse osmosis (R.O.) to remove most elements from the water so there is better control over which nutrients are actually provided to the plants. In soilless media, water purification is not necessary since it can cause nutrient and pH problems for plants. Soilless media have a buffering capacity to hold nutrients and have been pH-adjusted with limestone to maximize nutrient availability. Purified water has a minimal buffering capacity and does not change the pH of the growing medium. However the pH of soilless media is greatly impacted by the acidity/basicity of the fertilizer provided by the grower. This pH fluctuation can cause the nutrients to become unavailable or excessive for plant uptake. The optimum soilless medium pH for nutrient uptake is between 5.5 and 6.0.
A second major difference in using a soilless medium for hydroponics versus true hydroponics is the way the plants are watered. With true hydroponics, the nutrient solution is constantly flowing by the roots and must be continuously monitored and adjusted to provide the ideal pH and proper levels of each required nutrient. With a soilless medium, the plants receive nutrients from the soil solution and nutrients retained by the growing medium after being watered with a fertilizer solution. Plants will then take up these nutrients as they are needed. If plants are fertilized each time they are watered, the fertilizer levels in the medium can build up and cause burning of the root tips. To avoid this situation, a grower must leach the growing medium during each watering.

Unlike true hydroponics, water pH is not important when using a soilless medium. In this case, the pH of the growing medium is the primary concern and is greatly influenced by the alkalinity (bicarbonates and carbonates) of the water, not the water pH. The only way to accurately determine the alkalinity (calcium carbonate levels) is to have the water analyzed by a reputable lab. The ideal alkalinity for most plant productions in soilless media is 80-150 ppm of calcium carbonate. If the alkalinity levels are above 250 ppm of calcium carbonate in the water, it may become necessary to inject acid to neutralize some of the calcium carbonate and to lower the water alkalinity to optimum levels.
In conclusion, there are several growing practices that are used in classic hydroponics that should not be used for soilless media. First, it is not necessary to use purified water (i.e. reverse osmosis). Secondly, while it may seem wasteful, always leach plants when watering. Finally, monitor soilless medium pH, not water pH.

Directly from Pro-Mix (Google search result for "is Pro-Mix buffered")

Using PRO-MIX in Hydroponics​

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

The definition of hydroponics is growing plants in a liquid nutrient solution without soil. In classic hydroponic growing systems the plant roots are either suspended in a liquid nutrient solution or in an inert medium such as perlite, gravel or rockwool, with the nutrient solution flowing through the medium. With the increased popularity of indoor gardening, the term hydroponics has been associated with peat-based soilless growing media like PRO-MIX. While in the truest definition, plant production in soilless media is similar to hydroponics, there are some differences in the way it is managed.

With classic hydroponics, the nutrient solution must be very closely monitored for nutrient levels and pH since there is no buffering. Buffering is the ability to resist changes in pH and nutrient levels. If the water source has high soluble salts, the grower will often purify the water with reverse osmosis (R.O.) to remove most elements from the water so there is better control over which nutrients are actually provided to the plants. In soilless media, water purification is not necessary since it can cause nutrient and pH problems for plants. Soilless media have a buffering capacity to hold nutrients and have been pH-adjusted with limestone to maximize nutrient availability. Purified water has a minimal buffering capacity and does not change the pH of the growing medium. However the pH of soilless media is greatly impacted by the acidity/basicity of the fertilizer provided by the grower. This pH fluctuation can cause the nutrients to become unavailable or excessive for plant uptake. The optimum soilless medium pH for nutrient uptake is between 5.5 and 6.0.
A second major difference in using a soilless medium for hydroponics versus true hydroponics is the way the plants are watered. With true hydroponics, the nutrient solution is constantly flowing by the roots and must be continuously monitored and adjusted to provide the ideal pH and proper levels of each required nutrient. With a soilless medium, the plants receive nutrients from the soil solution and nutrients retained by the growing medium after being watered with a fertilizer solution. Plants will then take up these nutrients as they are needed. If plants are fertilized each time they are watered, the fertilizer levels in the medium can build up and cause burning of the root tips. To avoid this situation, a grower must leach the growing medium during each watering.

Unlike true hydroponics, water pH is not important when using a soilless medium. In this case, the pH of the growing medium is the primary concern and is greatly influenced by the alkalinity (bicarbonates and carbonates) of the water, not the water pH. The only way to accurately determine the alkalinity (calcium carbonate levels) is to have the water analyzed by a reputable lab. The ideal alkalinity for most plant productions in soilless media is 80-150 ppm of calcium carbonate. If the alkalinity levels are above 250 ppm of calcium carbonate in the water, it may become necessary to inject acid to neutralize some of the calcium carbonate and to lower the water alkalinity to optimum levels.
In conclusion, there are several growing practices that are used in classic hydroponics that should not be used for soilless media. First, it is not necessary to use purified water (i.e. reverse osmosis). Secondly, while it may seem wasteful, always leach plants when watering. Finally, monitor soilless medium pH, not water pH.
I guess there is no need to PH my water/nutrient solution in Promix anymore :thumb:

Day 56, straight well water, no phing...

Currently on a water/feed/water schedule. 4g/gallon MC.

Girls are using a gallon every two days now... GG#4 on the front right is 40 1/2" today.

King Gelato on the front left is still stretching and flowering @ 32" !

1 g/gallon of Bud Explosion ~ once a week.

The Girls 5 Mar Day 56.jpg

Cheers
You sure went all out with that one on the right. She’s gonna have a massive cola !

Day 60.

The Girls are making a run for it ! They are now at the top of my enclosure ;)

King Gelato (front left) has stretched an inch a day for the past week and a half, she's now 43".

Gorilla Glue #4 (front right) has stopped stretching @ 40 1/2".

Water with 1g/gallon of Bud Explosion, then next feed with 4g/gallon of MC. Taking a gallon every two days....

C1 The Girls 9 Mar Day 60.jpg

King Gelato

C1 KG 9 Mar Day 60.jpg

Gorilla Glue #4

C1 GG 9 Mar Day 60.jpg

Gelato

C1 Gelato 9 Mar Day 60.jpg

Cheers

I guess there is no need to PH my water/nutrient solution in Promix anymore :thumb:
Hi, I've been growing in promix or similar peat based soils for about 25 years...I grew without help for about 20. I then learned about ph and though wow I just ph my water all my problems will go away..so I did...I kept adding down on each water to bring me down to 6.5......The next thin I know is I have a sick plant and someone asked me what my run off ph was ? ??????? runoff ph you say?

so I checked 4.8ph...wtf I've been adding this shit that stays in the soil and accumulates. Okay fixed that and I no longer ph check my input but I watch my out put or run off...I want my ph at 6.5 and I'll add tbs dolomite lime to top dress after about 5 weeks in veg because I know the ph is dropping a bit by then from the nutes I add and I'll add ph up to my nutes during a feed but just tap water otherwise.

Just to add I water in 3 gallon pots every 3-4 days @78f but in 5 gallon it can take 5 - 6 days to dry enough to water again... if its colder than 78f it takes longer in both pots.It has to go through a wet dry cycle or the roots have problems..

Back
Top Bottom