Promix help please

The main advantage to me was I no longer had to pH my water. Add MegaCrop to the mix and easy/easy.
@InTheShed is fairly knowledgeable on Promix so maybe he will chime in.
Thanks for the tag HG! Without reading the previous 2 pages (so I apologize if I'm repeating the advice of others)...
Iv been hitting the engine last 2 days. My head hurts. So I’m sorry if I replicated a thread. I promise I typed in “promix, use of promix, using promix, feed&promix, etc.”. Not really getting everything. Just bits and pieces. I’m buying the promox bx bail but from my further research it’s not to be treated like soil. Can anyone give me a push in the right direction. Some say it’s like coco. Others say more like hydro if you Air out the water. Some say they use it like soil but water more often like coco. So I’m freaking confused. Lol. Please and thank you for any help. I just wanna know how to treat, mix, and feed with it.
ProMix is not coco and it's not hydro, both of which require you to adjust the pH of your water. It's a "formulated growing media" (that's how the manufacturer refers to it) that is peat-based. What we call soil is humus-based. ProMix, same as any good quality manufactured soil, is buffered to a specific pH range before it leaves the factory. There is no need to pH the water that you use to fertilize the plants. This information is direct from the folks who make it. You can read the opening post in this thread for more info.

There are downsides to ProMix if you keep a plant in the same container for a long time because it's less likely to maintain its factory-set pH range than soil. If you're interested in more info on that, I did a whole write-up in my thread here.

I hope this helps!

So it seems that a lot of people here enjoy the Promix? What’s the biggest advantages? Thankyou guys for this conversation
One advantage is that ProMix is a large company and their products tend to be a consistent quality. After a couple of grows users can expect that what they have learned will work the next time they buy the same ProMix product.

But, they do make a lot of different varieties and problems might come up if the grower switches from one ProMix to a different one. If I remember right ProMix has about 15 different Peat Moss or Peat and Coco based mixes.

...But, they do make a lot of different varieties and problems might come up if the grower switches from one ProMix to a different one. If I remember right ProMix has about 15 different Peat Moss or Peat and Coco based mixes.

BX or HP, with or without Mycorrhizae, or Premium Moisture Control (sometimes available at Walmart or other big box stores) all work well. I would avoid the All Purpose products since they have time released fertilizers included.

BX or HP, with or without Mycorrhizae, or Premium Moisture Control (sometimes available at Walmart or other big box stores) all work well. I would avoid the All Purpose products since they have time released fertilizers included.
I have a small sample of the Promix moisture control idk what I’m gonna do with it. It’s a 4qt sample. And now have a bail of BX mykro. Still waiting for my EWC.

I would avoid the All Purpose products since they have time released fertilizers included.
All purpose is all I've used for the past three years. It's cheap and works great.
There is only a very light amount of nutes in it. I feed my sprouts right away and have had no issues.

I use the cheap All purpose Pro Mix.
It's $15 for a 4 sq.ft compressed bale where I am.
It does have some added humus and a slight amount of starter nutes in it. It's still really mild.
I water when veg plants are dry. During flower I water a lot more. Usually when they are about halfway dry.
I don't treat it like hydro but you certainly can. Their website does mention that it can be used in hydroponic applications.

I don't pH my nutes either.

All purpose is all I've used for the past three years. It's cheap and works great.
There is only a very light amount of nutes in it. I feed my sprouts right away and have had no issues.

Good to know in case. I've been riding my Faux-Mix® train for a couple years now except one time I was feeling lazy and grabbed some Premium Moisture Control that Wally's had. Other than it occasionally being available, the hardware carries bales of BX for $55. No other Premier (maker of Pro-Mix) products are available here in my area. $55 is a little steep in my book and hence why I came up with my own cheaper version.

Good to know in case. I've been riding my Faux-Mix® train for a couple years now except one time I was feeling lazy and grabbed some Premium Moisture Control that Wally's had. Other than it occasionally being available, the hardware carries bales of BX for $55. No other Premier (maker of Pro-Mix) products are available here in my area. $55 is a little steep in my book and hence why I came up with my own cheaper version.
I can't get anything but the All purpose where I am without ordering it for $60 delivered. I would have to drive two hours to buy it from a brick and mortar store. That's even more expensive then. Just not worth it for me.

I took a chance on the cheap stuff and haven't looked back.
I'd do your faux mix but my back is too screwed up do to that kind of labor.

I have produced killer results using a 50/50 mix of Promix and a FoxFarm thing that I do not remember. And to shock everybody I use Scott's Miracle Grow for Vegging and I ad some Grandma's Molasses when flowering. I switch to Miracle grow Bloom or Tomato food when flowering. During Veg I always feed a fairly light dose of the Miracle Grow. I flush with plain water last two weeks. Works great, Killer results, better than any of my grower friends.

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_9594.JPG

IMG_9596.JPG

I have produced killer results using a 50/50 mix of Promix and a FoxFarm thing that I do not remember. And to shock everybody I use Scott's Miracle Grow for Vegging and I ad some Grandma's Molasses when flowering. I switch to Miracle grow Bloom or Tomato food when flowering. During Veg I always feed a fairly light dose of the Miracle Grow. I flush with plain water last two weeks. Works great, Killer results, better than any of my grower friends.

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_9594.JPG

IMG_9596.JPG
Looks great @gr8fullfred hope you are well my friend.
I'm glad you found a method that works for you.

Stay safe
Bill

I was advised to not mix Promix bx with soil? The moisture control blk bag. But not the bail of bx?
I can't figure out why. Did whoever told you this explain why to not mix?

If you are in Canada you could call or eMail the company and ask them. In the US an eMail would work unless they have an office in the US office that you could call. Do not know if the company sells outside of these two countries.

If you get an answer from the company let us know. A lot of people use one of the Pro-Mix peat moss based products.

I was advised to not mix Promix bx with soil? The moisture control blk bag. But not the bail of bx?

The reason I don't add soil to my ProMix HP is because I don't want to go through the trial and error to figure out how much nutrients to add, i.e., I used Advanced Nutrients M/G/B and now MegaCrop.

In other words, how much is the soil going to contribute to the plants food and how much will I have to top it off with my store bought nutrients ?

Cheers.

The reason I don't add soil to my ProMix HP is because I don't want to go through the trial and error to figure out how much nutrients to add, i.e., I used Advanced Nutrients M/G/B and now MegaCrop.

In other words, how much is the soil going to contribute to the plants food and how much will I have to top it off with my store bought nutrients ?

Cheers.
That’s why I was told that. I was told it defeated the point of full control. But I’d assume that’s one’s personal reference.

I just mixed the blk bag Promix with Whitney farms soil and dr earth seed starting mix for one of my transplants. I’ll see that goes.

How do you guys store the extra media out the bail? Assuming you have extra

How do you guys store the extra media out the bail? Assuming you have extra
I buy Peat Moss by the bale. It is stored outside, by the side of the garage, up against the brick wall and with the roof overhang protecting part of the top from rain that falls straight down.

The first thing I do before storage is to place several concrete blocks on the ground. The bale sits on those so it is 8 inches above the ground. Otherwise whenever it rains or the snow melts the water can and will soak into the contents through every pinprick or larger hole in the bottom of the plastic bag.

Before closing up the top I put a small container on top of the moss and then fold the top over so it closes off the bag. The small container acts like a dome to hold the top up so it does not form a bowl shape which can trap water that will slowly seep in through any openings in the folded top. I then put the plastic lid from a large garbage can over the folded down top and put a brick on top of that to hold it in place during winds.

No water from the bottom and no water from the top. Only water inside is from what might have been there at the time I bought the bale. I am also doing the same sort of storage with a bag of Fox Farms Happy Frog that I bought and use on occasion just to see what the stuff is like.

Things like concrete blocks or old milk crates, bricks and abandoned garbage can lids can be scavenged on trash day and stored for the time when needed.

What about irritated water? Like a 5 gal bucket with air stones overnight ? Does that help with storage with water?
It is best to not irritate you water supply before putting it away otherwise it might hold a grudge against you and the plants.;) Just funning you 'cause I figured out you were asking about aerated water.

For the most part I doubt that using air stones to aerate water will make any difference in long run storage. It does help when making some compost style teas because it introduces some extra oxygen and the action of the air bubbles helps keep the tea mixing up. I would think that within days, or maybe hours, after the air stones are removed some or most of the extra oxygen has already started to off-gas.

Back
Top Bottom