Protecting plants from theft

Gardinhackle

As mentioned earlier this is my first grow, and for some reason I feel very concerned about theft of the plants so I wondered what does everyone else do and when should I start?

At the moment they are in buckets and at night I tuck them into the corner by the back of the house where I have a motion sensor that triggers an alarm in the bedroom (I know some might say paranoid) :oops: should someone walk up on them.

I can put them in my shop at night but do I really need to? The only person that knows I have them is my neighbour and he's a very close friend. It's legal here too btw so that's not a concern. I've invested a few hundred bucks into this not to mention the time...I'd love to hear others thoughts on this.

Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks in advance
Hackle!

oh that’s easy enough

Place 1/2 sheet of plate steel on the ground, connect it to a ground rod.
Set a rubber tire on the plate steel
Place a metal garbage can on the rubber tire with the plant inside
Hook the positive side of 5 mile electric fence charger to the trash can and ground the other side
Turn a lawn sprinkler on

sit back and wait

kidding of course…. well mostly

If it can be seen from the road I would suggest getting some sort of visual barrier up at the very least.
They can't at the moment...the plants are in the backyard behind the house but there's a trail behind the house with a lot of foot traffic. I have done my best so far to keep the plants concealed behind the shed and I have a full fence too. I doubt they would ever see them but they might smell them at some point.

They can't at the moment...the plants are in the backyard behind the house but there's a trail behind the house with a lot of foot traffic. I have done my best so far to keep the plants concealed behind the shed and I have a full fence too. I doubt they would ever see them but they might smell them at some point.
I have a similar situation when I have plants outside on the patio. Behind the backyard is the building for a social organization and the driveway to their parking lot comes up the side of the yard and makes a turn and runs along the back. Those two sides are cyclone fencing. The third side is a privacy fence between between the neighbor's back yard.

If it can be seen from the road I would suggest getting some sort of visual barrier up at the very least. Don't make it easy for dumb kids to swipe your stuff. You should check the laws where you are, first.
@Gardinhackle, the best thing is to make or grow the visual barrier that copperrein is mentioning. Kind of late for this year but it can be done. If you are planning on growing again next year now is a good time to start. Along my fence line, approx 100 feet along the back and 90 up the sides, I have some shrubs but people can see between them so it is not perfect. For privacy we followed the plan of the previous owner and have a second garden bed with shrubs, trees and flowers running about 10 feet in from the fence. Between the two, the fence shrubs and the second shrub & flower bed, most of the view of what is on the patio or along the privacy fence is blocked. Then I have several flower beds scattered about the yard and what happens is that when people drive or walk along the driveways their attention gets caught by colors of the flowers and so the plain green of the Marijuana plants gets lost within the green of everything else. The colors of the flowers do not block the view; instead they direct the other people's eyes to look where you want them to, to look at the flowers.

The only thing I have come up with to hide the smell is that I increased the size of my mint garden beds. That mint smell does help to block some of the weed smell. Every other year I plant a couple of small beds with Basil plants which give off a pleasant odor.

Here in this state growing the plants is legal but I am trying to reduce the possibility that the 'dumb kids and stupider adults' will try to get into the yard.

Good ideas SmokingWings! I feel confident about the visual being taken care of, it's only the smell....I figure if I can keep the plants up close by the house that should put them about 100' from the path out back, hopefully that's enough to avoid any smell drifting that way.

Personally, I live out in the sticks and have neighbors but, they are cool with it. I will say I do not want to go into details... However, I will know if anyone comes on my property before they know they have been caught. I also have every inch of land covered with cams. ;) I had all this up long before my first major grow.

In the fall we see a fair amount of stories that plants got stolen .... it happens.

Fence with a gate and a lock and a no trespassing sign should do it.

Kids cant tell if there's a person on the other side = perfect.

Stupid people do stupid stuff tho.... plan for it.

Last year up in Canada folks were getting robbed like right at sunrise.... saw pics of people riding bikes with weed plants on the handle bars also people sitting on the porch with a shotgun 24/7 lol.. Not recommended.

You plants will be hard to move in flower. Get them on some roll carts or something similar to make it easier. Then stake and wires work great. Last year I hadda move a flowering plant that was 14 feet tall. No small feat. I used a tractor and and tow strap.

Loose lips sinks ships... Less people that know the safer your grow

Definitely not worth shooting someone...

@bobrown14 was talking 12ga not 9 mm. ;) BTW CCI does make a shot load that you can easily convert. Just say-en

Back
Top Bottom