Purple autos: need help asap please

Lastwords

420 Member
I planted these on the 23rd. They're Purple autos and yesterday I noticed 2 of them grew really long and stretched. So I done some reading, majority of the threads said lacking light so I put the light down this close over night. Came home now most of them are long/drooping. I was scared I over watered them as well so I didn't water yesterday. Felt the tops of the soil and it felt crusty today so I hurried up and gave them a little water. What should I do going foward? Pull lights up? Water more/less? I staked them straight up for the time being. Using bottled water to water them. Constant 70 degrees in tent so didn't get cold or anything. First time sucks, I've seen all the posts saying DONT over water so maybe I am under watering I dunno!? Thanks for any info

unnamed (1).jpg

That's the top of my light. I don't see what wattage. It has a dimmer switch do I need to turn them down? But does too much light make them stretch as well?

unnamed (2).jpg
Nah, too much light just melts them.
As you say too little light makes them stretch...I noticed you lowered the light after seeing the stretch, just didn't want you to go from one extreme to other and get it to close.

The 240 on your light driver usually hints at the wattage. If that is the case here that's quite a lot of watts for seedlings.
You can get an app for your phone that measures light in lux or par.
I've got a cheap lux meter I measure with..I set my seedlings around 15000 lux, that's about 250 par.

yesterday I noticed 2 of them grew really long and stretched. So I done some reading, majority of the threads said lacking light so I put the light down this close over night. Came home now most of them are long/drooping. I was scared I over watered them as well so I didn't water yesterday. Felt the tops of the soil and it felt crusty today so I hurried up and gave them a little water. What should I do going foward?
A certain amount of stretch shows up when the seed first poke above the surface. This stretch is the distance between the surface of the soil, or the peat pellets in your case, and the cotyledon leaves (the small round looking ones). Looks like there is a good amount of stretch that took place judging by what is showing in the first photo.

Then there is the stretch between each node that shows up from then on. You are getting some good advice on lights so you should be able to avoid excess stretch during the vegetating stage from here on out.

What's your plan regarding pots moving forward..
The little pellets you have the seedlings in are for germination only. Now you've done that successfully it's time to pot them in to a bigger pot or other chosen media.
Right. I noticed the yellowing of the cotyledon leaves and some of the first true leaves. As Listersmeghead brings up time to transplant into the next stage so that the plant roots can start finding nutrients

Ok so I them over into these cups with Fox soil. They look like they've been through the ringer. I watered the outer rim of the cups because I noticed some roots coming through the peat. Light is 15" above and at 30%. I have a fan gently blowing as well. What else can I do to help my babies? Thanks.

unnamed (3).jpg

It may just be me, but if those were my babies, I would take them back out of the cups and remove that netting from around the peat pots. Other than that, I presume you have drainage holes in the cups? If not, put some in. And also I think the soil needs to be a little more damp than you have left it. At this point they need a bit of tlc, don't drown them but make the soil less dry, and I would give it a few days before turning the fan on them... let them get their feet steady first.

Leaves curl upwards when the light is too bright, I leave those dimmer knobs alone and just raise the light to reduce the heat, but only if the edges curl.
Might want to put a red solo around those clear cups, roots don't enjoy the light.

Since you are growing "autos" it is often recommended to do as little transplanting as possible. Best to not transplant again until these seedlings have recovered and have developed a decent root mass. I do not currently grow autos but if I did that is how I would consider my options over the next couple of weeks.

I watered the outer rim of the cups because I noticed some roots coming through the peat. ..... I have a fan gently blowing as well. ....What else can I do to help my babies?
If all goes well the plants should start recovering very soon. That some of the roots are starting to poke through the sides of the peat pellets is a good sign. Keep the soil in the cups from getting very dry or from being saturated. It takes a bit of practice but before long you should be able to tell when to water by how heavy or light the containers feel when lifting them. Each time the plants are transplanted into the next sized larger container it will become easier to figure out how dry or wet the soil is.

Ok so I them over into these cups with Fox soil.
I figure that you mean one of the soils mixed up and sold by Fox Farm. They have several blends. Some of them work best for seedlings and some are supposed to work best for later on when the plants are larger. Knowing which one you have will help figure out which route to go in a few weeks to a month or so.

@Lastwords, you joined the site on my Birthday! Welcome to 420.

Please don't be discouraged if this grow does not go as well as expected. You're growing Autos, which can be challenging and fickle. :Rasta:

It may just be me, but if those were my babies, I would take them back out of the cups and remove that netting from around the peat pots. Other than that, I presume you have drainage holes in the cups? If not, put some in. And also I think the soil needs to be a little more damp than you have left it. At this point they need a bit of tlc, don't drown them but make the soil less dry, and I would give it a few days before turning the fan on them... let them get their feet steady first.
I'd also bury some of those long stems.

Back
Top Bottom