Quest for mold-resistant strains, Hawaii outdoor greenhouse grow

I don't think silica will harm microbes, but there is some evidence that salicylic acid at high enough concentration will kill bacteria. So the question is, have I used too much willow bark? Perhaps not, because my infusion measured only 164 ppm.
I took a reading on the tea, on Tuesday night...

480ppm. 7.3 pH.

temperature - noticeably a bit warm to the touch

480ppm seems a bit on the light side, but probably is in the zone considering all I used was worm castings, the infusions, a little fulvic acid, and sugar. We'll see if microbes increase by morning... assuming blooming microbes cause the ppm to increase, which I think they do. I probably should have added some kelp.

I plan on harvesting Wed. around noon.

So, ppm actually went down by this morning. Around 467. pH went up a little. I added some more sugar and will check it tonight.

I have a feeling the infusions killed the microbes. What do you think?

Am I making a mistake trying to make a microbe brew that includes concentrated horsetail and willow bark?

Or did I just not feed the microbes enough? I could have added kelp.

:thanks:

What dilution rate did you use on your concentrate?
Full strength. Horsetail concentrate: 1,730 ppm, 5.8 pH. Willow bark concentrate: 164 ppm, 6.4 pH.

About 1 qt each added to 4.5 gal water, along with the worm castings, etc., for the aerated compost tea.

I was planning to foliar spray with diluted tea.

So, I'm confused here... not sure what I'm shooting for with this foliar spray...

1) strong in salicylic and silica, to be absorbed by the plant to help protect against fungal pathogens

2) populate the plant surfaces with microbes to help protect against fungal pathogens

3) microbes converting the salicylic and silica to more bioavailable forms (?)

Full strength. Horsetail concentrate: 1,730 ppm, 5.8 pH. Willow bark concentrate: 164 ppm, 6.4 pH.

About 1 qt each added to 4.5 gal water, along with the worm castings, etc., for the aerated compost tea.

I was planning to foliar spray with diluted tea.

So, I'm confused here... not sure what I'm shooting for with this foliar spray...

1) strong in salicylic and silica, to be absorbed by the plant to help protect against fungal pathogens

2) populate the plant surfaces with microbes to help protect against fungal pathogens

3) microbes converting the salicylic and silica to more bioavailable forms (?)

Foliar is used to feed when the stomata is open (given the optimal temperature, mornings are best), it’s a faster and more accurate form of nutrient intake. When you feed them phytohormones of any kind most of the signaling starts in the leaves and move up and down with gravity and plant needs. I have always sprayed my teas, since you mentioned the root watering with Willow I am trying it now. My first batch is ready and I started foliar spraying and root watering.

My 2 cents.
:passitleft:

My 2 cents.
Do you think it's a mistake to try to combine the concentrate infusions as I did in this aerated compost tea, with growing microbes in the tea? Should these be two different approaches? For example, first foliar spray the (diluted) salicylic acid and silica concentrates. And then later, foliar spray a compost tea full of microbes?

Do you think it's a mistake to try to combine the concentrate infusions as I did in this aerated compost tea, with growing microbes in the tea? Should these be two different approaches? For example, first foliar spray the (diluted) salicylic acid and silica concentrates. And then later, foliar spray a compost tea full of microbes?
As I understand you use an aerobic method to do you teas, I understand with that you supplement air with the use of air stone. I don’t do that I qualify my teas as anaerobic as I don’t supply air to the mix, I want the less amount of air coming in. We could have 2 different results because of that.

The most recent thing I am doing is using the same “mother tea” (one that is a conglomerate of all my small batches of teas, Willow, horsetail, dandelion…) for foliar spraying and root watering. I don’t give the plant any choice but to absorb what I am supplying be it on the leaves or the roots.

I haven’t ever used a ph meter or measuring ppm, you are way more accurate in that sense. I don’t use sugar because I fear over fermentation and making a vinagre out of my teas.

If you wanted a more measurable result I would suggest use horsetail and Willow teas for foliar separate, make the silica and the salicylic acid the element to be supplied via stomata. It’s also the leaves that become vulnerable so that why I chose to foliar these elements rather than water roots.

One thing I may add Silica is a trace element and salicylic acid is a phytohormone they may have completely different effects on the plant bio chemistry and immunity.

I’m still in observation myself, seems like we are discovering as we move on. Uncharted waters my friend.

Thanks again for the research and interest you put in to Willow.

As I understand you use an aerobic method to do you teas, I understand with that you supplement air with the use of air stone. I don’t do that I qualify my teas as anaerobic as I don’t supply air to the mix, I want the less amount of air coming in. We could have 2 different results because of that.
Yes. What I am calling an "infusion" is the dried herb placed in a 1/2 gal jar, and then boiling water poured over that, and lid put on. I let it sit a few days, shaking it up, and also opening the lid a couple times to smell it. When finished, I noticed that both had some bubbling, but not a lot. I filtered to make the final product, about 1 qt.

I then added both the horsetail and the willow bark infusions to my aerated compost tea batch

If you wanted a more measurable result I would suggest use horsetail and Willow teas for foliar separate, make the silica and the salicylic acid the element to be supplied via stomata.
I think you are right on that. I guess my compost tea batch is still usable for foliar spray, but I'm guessing won't have (many) microbes in it.

One thing I may add Silica is a trace element and salicylic acid is a phytohormone they may have completely different effects on the plant bio chemistry and immunity.

I’m still in observation myself, seems like we are discovering as we move on. Uncharted waters my friend.

Thanks again for the research and interest you put in to Willow.
Yes. I think in the future I will do them all separately. I like the idea of the phytohormone applied by itself. And the silica supplied by itself, although there's more in the horsetail that silica – also some salicylic, and other compounds as well.

🙏

Yes. What I am calling an "infusion" is the dried herb placed in a 1/2 gal jar, and then boiling water poured over that, and lid put on. I let it sit a few days, shaking it up, and also opening the lid a couple times to smell it. When finished, I noticed that both had some bubbling, but not a lot. I filtered to make the final product, about 1 qt.

I then added both the horsetail and the willow bark infusions to my aerated compost tea batch

I think you are right on that. I guess my compost tea batch is still usable for foliar spray, but I'm guessing won't have (many) microbes in it.

Yes. I think in the future I will do them all separately. I like the idea of the phytohormone applied by itself. And the silica supplied by itself, although there's more in the horsetail that silica – also some salicylic, and other compounds as well.

🙏

Right on brother, your method is fine you can’t go wrong with compost tea. It will be amazing to achieve positive results with different procedures. At the end of the day at molecular level the plant is receiving everything we send one way or another. Even if we can’t see a noticeable change we will see a result once PM and mold season arrives.

Hey brother I stumble accros this reading last night, reading about The role of stomata in plant innate immunity and foliar bacterial diseases.

Role of Stomata in Plant Innate Immunity and Foliar Bacterial Diseases

"Pathogen entry into host tissue is a critical first step in causing infection. For foliar bacterial plant pathogens, natural surface openings, such as stomata, are important entry sites. Historically, these surface openings have been considered as passive portals of entry for plant pathogenic bacteria. However, recent studies have shown that stomata can play an active role in limiting bacterial invasion as part of the plant innate immune system. As counter-defense, the plant pathogen Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato DC3000 uses the virulence factor coronatine to actively open stomata. In nature, many foliar bacterial disease outbreaks require high humidity, rain, or storms, which could promote stomatal opening and/or bypass stomatal defense by creating wounds as alternative entry sites. Further studies on microbial and environmental regulation of stomatal closure and opening could fill gaps in our understanding of bacterial pathogenesis, disease epidemiology, and microbiology of the phyllosphere.
Keywords: Coronatine, plant hormones, guard cell, plant defense, innate immunity, Pseudomonas syringae"

Here's a sample of the finished, double-filtered aerated worm compost tea, with concentrated horsetail and willow bark infusions added. Final ppm was 480, and pH 8.0. I diluted with rain water at 1:1 ratio, in my 1 gal pump sprayer, and thoroughly sprayed all my plants in flower. I decided not to use any liquid soap with that. I feel like there was microbial activity in the tea, due to bubbles formed on the top of the tea in the brewer, and because of the consistency of the tea.

finished_tea.jpg

I forgot to mention... I still have over 4 gal of filtered compost tea left, which is still being aerated in the bucket to preserve it.

I'll repeat the foliar spray in the morning, on the six plants in the flower house, and also spray the plants in the veg house. Then I'll do a full-strength drench on one or more plants – the ones that might need some help.

I also spotted a possible problem on the main stem of the DBL CBG in flower (see below) There's a spot there that healed from what looks like stem rot, when she was in veg. I just noticed today that it has swollen; although, it doesn't seem like an active infection – more like the stem is swelling to try to cover the wound. Only about 1/3 of the circumference of the stem in that area is healthy, yet the plant is looking fantastic. Tomorrow I'm gonna get fancy and try to make a little reservoir around that area, and fill it with Mikrobs solution, to allow trichoderma to soak in.

stem_rot1.jpg

I forgot to mention... I still have over 4 gal of filtered compost tea left, which is still being aerated in the bucket to preserve it.

I'll repeat the foliar spray in the morning, on the six plants in the flower house, and also spray the plants in the veg house. Then I'll do a full-strength drench on one or more plants – the ones that might need some help.

I also spotted a possible problem on the main stem of the DBL CBG in flower (see below) There's a spot there that healed from what looks like stem rot, when she was in veg. I just noticed today that it has swollen; although, it doesn't seem like an active infection – more like the stem is swelling to try to cover the wound. Only about 1/3 of the circumference of the stem in that area is healthy, yet the plant is looking fantastic. Tomorrow I'm gonna get fancy and try to make a little reservoir around that area, and fill it with Mikrobs solution, to allow trichoderma to soak in.

stem_rot1.jpg
Putting a reservoir around the stem is likely to cause the plant to grow roots there. Kind of like air layering.
Is that the final pot, or will she be going into a deeper pot where you could bury any roots that grow?

Putting a reservoir around the stem is likely to cause the plant to grow roots there. Kind of like air layering.
Is that the final pot, or will she be going into a deeper pot where you could bury any roots that grow?
My idea was to leave it on for a short period, maybe a day, so the trichoderma can soak into the area. Looking at it again today, I'm not sure... I'm leaning more toward seeing the swelling as the plant's healthy response to cover the wound. I sprayed the plant just now with more compost tea, including the area on the main stem. I also watered-in some tea around the base of the main stem.

I left the filtered tea in the brewer overnight. Today the tea was a bit more viscous, with slightly higher ppm and pH @ 8.5. So, it seems more bacteria were produced, and the tea became more alkaline. All six plants in the flower house got another dose of 1/2 strength foliar spray. I also gave the Grape Ape and Blueberry a healthy dose in the soil. Those were the two plants I had treated with Mikrobs.

EDIT: I forgot to mention... very interesting that the viscous tea (viscosi-tea?) was much slower to seep into the soil than my usual fertigation mixture. Microbes, baby! 🦠

I got lab test results for Sweet Critical CBD and Seedsman 30:1 CBD.

Nothing like 20% CBD, but an improvement over my legacy CBD phenos which are around 10%.

🌟 Sweet Critical comes in at 15% CBD – that's the more indica-leaning one.
.... Seedsman 30:1 (sativa) is a disappointing 11.5% CBD.
.... Both are around 0.5% THC.

I think Sweet Critical could easily go higher. That plant was really stressed when I harvested... pot too small, had bud rot, harvested early before trichomes were completely ripe. It was also an over-winter plant. I predict this pheno might be able to hit 18% if grown over the summer in a bigger pot, with more attention to feeding and fungus prevention. THC would be around 0.7%.

I'm surprised Seedsman wasn't higher, with its trichome-covered sugar leaves. That plant was also stressed, although bud rot resistant, and also over-winter. I think this pheno could maybe hit around 14% if grown over the summer.

I wrote in late April:
The Seedsman 30:1 CBD is advertised with 3 different lab test results showing CBD over 20%. This doesn't necessarily mean all phenos will be that high – maybe the higher CBD phenos are rare.... I didn't see any lab test results for Sweet Critical, but it's advertised as producing between 18 and 22%, while THC is around 0.3%.

Given this test result, I doubt Sweet Critical could be grown to produce that much CBD with THC around 0.3%. I think they are advertising 0.3% THC as a pitch to hemp growers wanting to stay below 0.3%. In my opinion... not gonna happen.

Sweet Critical CBD, 19 days in flower. She was harvested early on day 33, due to bud rot.
sweet_critical1.jpg

Seedsman 30:1 in 5th week. She was harvested on day 42. Very bud rot resistant, but was hit with powdery mildew right at harvest time. Terpene odor was very diminished. I was forced to harvest because of the PM.
1685750646653.png

Tea update...

I wrote about a month ago...
TEA #1) An aerated worm compost tea, featuring worm castings, willow bark powder, kelp meal, potassium sulfate, and apple juice (for sugar). For this I'm going to brew up about 4 gallons of concentrate using my air stone setup (I'm pre-soaking the stone tonight). This tea will be used in a foliar spray as well as in a drench. I consider this one to be nutritive, microbial, and anti-fungal. I will maybe add a little bit of Bronner's peppermint soap as a wetting agent/surfactant to the foliar spray version... what do you think?

TEA #2) An anaerobic tea, featuring willow bark powder and worm castings, 1 qt. This one will be for a foliar spray, and is microbial and anti-fungal. I will maybe add a little bit of Bronner's peppermint soap as a wetting agent/surfactant... what do you think?

TEA #3) An infusion, featuring willow bark powder, thyme, rosemary, fennel seed, and cumin, 1/2 gal. I'm going to pour boiling water over the herbs in a 1/2 gal. jar. This one will be for a foliar spray, and is anti-fungal. I'll make this tea tonight, so it's ready in the morning. I'll add a little bit of Bronner's peppermint soap as a wetting agent/surfactant.

TEA #3 happened, but it seems wasn't effective. Also, the cumin was too stinky. I will stick with willow bark and horsetail for anti-fungal. Willow bark for salicylic acid, horsetail for silica and salicylic acid.

TEA #2 was done differently... I did 2 different hot-water infusions, one willow bark, one horsetail. These strong infusions got combined into TEA #1 – something I don't think I'll do in the future. Not sure yet.

TEA #1 was done differently (aerated worm compost tea)... I didn't add kelp or K-sulfate. Next time around I will make it microbial and nutritive, but not anti-fungal (i.e. no willow bark, possibly no horsetail). I will definitely add kelp to feed the microbes.

So, in the future I see 3 foliar sprays for plants in flower, to be done in this order:

1) Anti-fungal phytohormone spray (salicylic acid + silica from infusions); also as drench
2) K-sulfate spray (w/ soap as surfactant)
3) Microbial and nutritive spray (aerated worm compost tea w/ kelp); also as drench

:ciao:

Tea update...

I wrote about a month ago...

TEA #3 happened, but it seems wasn't effective. Also, the cumin was too stinky. I will stick with willow bark and horsetail for anti-fungal. Willow bark for salicylic acid, horsetail for silica and salicylic acid.

TEA #2 was done differently... I did 2 different hot-water infusions, one willow bark, one horsetail. These strong infusions got combined into TEA #1 – something I don't think I'll do in the future. Not sure yet.

TEA #1 was done differently (aerated worm compost tea)... I didn't add kelp or K-sulfate. Next time around I will make it microbial and nutritive, but not anti-fungal (i.e. no willow bark, possibly no horsetail). I will definitely add kelp to feed the microbes.

So, in the future I see 3 foliar sprays for plants in flower, to be done in this order:

1) Anti-fungal phytohormone spray (salicylic acid + silica from infusions); also as drench
2) K-sulfate spray (w/ soap as surfactant)
3) Microbial and nutritive spray (aerated worm compost tea w/ kelp); also as drench

:ciao:

Very insightful tea update; following very closely both the growing of beautiful phenos and the tea processing program you have.
:reading420magazine::reading420magazine:

Back
Top Bottom