Random Thoughts: Plants & Genetics

Yes it is a brown. Can't say I KNOW about breeding but it doesn't seem to stop me LMAO. What I think I know is the best I can do LOL.

Which brings up a my post for today. Some day I am going to be old and broke. Hell I am already old LMAO. I have been wanting to up grade my genetics one last time. Not by getting new regular strains I don't know anything about. Just better older strains that I know where made when they still stabilized strains. I am finely able to get Mr Nice Super Silver Haze. That completes the top 3 SSH strains out there. I now will have Dinafem, Greenhouse and Mr Nice Super Silver Haze. Mr Nice is the only regular strain. It is also the real one he bred while working with Greenhouse. He took all the genetics for it with him. Greenhouse's new SSH might be good but it is not the original. Done ranting lol.

I still plan to self plants and make feminized seeds. I do think that regular strains reverse better. Having male pollen as a back up is always nice though. Plus I think it is better to try and make a hybrid instead of trying to make F-2 seeds in some case's. Lots of my older regular strains have become a bit dated. Not really a big deal as most are still fine. I am just upgrading things a bit. Here are the 2 major upgrades.

Canalope Haze to Super Silver Haze
Master Kush to Bubba Kush

I still have the older stuff and will grow some of them out and breed with them. Canalope Haze will always be in my line up. I can improve a lot more stuff with Super Silver Haze though. I really like the Og Kush stuff out there. So damn many now. Og is not original anymore LOL. There was Og Kush regular seeds I could have got. The real Og Kush is clone only so I am really not sure how they got seeds for it. That is why I went with Bubba Kush. I trust a F-1 Hybrid here a little more. Bubba Kush is a proven F-1 and has in turn created it's own new strains.

I only ordered seeds from companies I have used before. Except the SSH. I never could afford or get them before LOL. So I limited my choices by doing that. It was really tough to not grab a bunch of the new feminized strains. I did get a couple feminized strains though. To hard to pass up Ghost Train Haze and Banana Sorbet. Both will be crossed to something if they don't self. Of course I had to get some more Exodus Cheese. While not the strongest it is one of my most favorite strains to smoke.

I also add Crystal Blue a strain made from Bodhi's Snow Lotus with Grimm's P 75 from the Cinderella project. It is one of the great males that came out of Cinderella 99. Plus Grimm's genetics have proven themselves.

Ok back to the here and now. Lots of changes in the last day. Room is becoming a problem. Damn these things grow great with temps near or in the 80's. 2 things came to mind driving. This is a great time for me to check out Timber lights. I have enough Choccrit. (I still love that name humor me LOL) to grow one in the 1000 watt tent and one with a COC led. They will not be clones which would be best. They are amazingly similar though. Not only will this help me see the differnce between the 2 lights. It will free up room in the main tent. Because of this I won't be cloning or trying to make any seeds this run. I also plan to move the 2 O.H.S. I think are male to a separate tent for the duration. Not even positive they are male but I am pretty sure. This only becomes a problem if one is a female. The males will be under a much smaller light. If I have to move it back to the big tent. The intense light may cause a hermie. There is a chance that the O.H.S. males will produce pollen in time to pollinate a plant or 2. If so it will only be a branch of a couple plants. Most likely I will have to save the pollen for a later date with Super Lemon Haze. Or Super Silver Haze. Because of the new order I have more SSH than SLH. I have to decide if saving the pollen for SLH is worth it. I am pretty sure I am going to run SSH next run.

This is getting a little long winded LMAO. Some may think I am a blow hard other may think I am crazy. I just wanted to say. I had to write all this stuff. If I keep all this crap in my brain I could go into information overload LMAO.

A friend of mine and I was having a conversation about all the new strains and breeders available today. Seems even some of the pricier one's are not stable. Mr nice and greenhouse are and always have been known for stability. Seems some of the hyped ones lately are not so dependable. Ok my rant is over too. For what it's worth I had a SLH from greenhouse that was probably my favorite I've ever had. I got it from a friend in clone from and kept it for awhile. I wish I still had it

Mine was the Banana Sorbet. Still the Sorbet collection was to interesting to pass up. Thought I wanted the Strawberry till I saw the Banana. You got to love dessert strains LMAO

Stability is a weird thing. For me growing from seed most the time I kind of need it. Today lots of people are just saving mothers so stability doesn't matter as much. I mentioned some where that they used to tell you if a strain was a F-1 or not. Now there are so many F-1 hybrids out there they don't mention it any more. What changed was back in the day. F-1's were made from fairly stable strains. Now most are made from what ever. This leaves tons of genetic info so the plants can do almost anything. Not only does stabilizing keep the plants similar. It narrows the genetic info into a narrower path. That's when things get tricky. If you narrow the path you also may eliminate something great.

You can really tell about a strain in feminized form. If a selfed plant has lots of pheno's the original strain wasn't very stable.

Changing my mind like a little girl these days LMAO. No more male plants! I killed the 2 male Orange Hill Specials. I said I wasn't sure if they were male. I KNEW I was just hoping something would change that I know wouldn't. Everything has shown sex and the lights are still on for 18 hrs. The last 2 O.H.S. have something there that is not a hair. They are not forming pollen sacks but they are male. By now there needs to be a hair there or nothing at all. If they had nothing there, there may be hope. With new genetics coming I don't need to chase things. I don't even know if I like O.H.S. yet. I do have the one female. The plan now is to look first. If I like everything I see I will regenerate it and go from there. Then I can make S-1 and feminized seeds with it.

That also means no clones. If I Really like the Blueberry Headband I will regenerate it also for the hybrid I want. I am probably going to have to regenerate both then see if I like how they smoke. No big deal you don't loose much leaving plenty to regrow.

New lights are on the way. I am now going to move 4 plants to flower in it. I am going to run a Peyote Critical and a Choccrit in the new tent for comparison. The plants vegged in 1000 watts of light. That kind of limits the info I will get. I will see how they make buds. That is all that really matters.

Everything is really taking off. Once I get the new light set up I think I am going into flower. That will give me a few more days of veg. The only way I can get away with that is to move a few or thin a few plants out. With more room I can have bushier plants. As long as you leave plenty of branches. A plant will make up the production of the removed branches. Sending all there energy to the remaining branches. If I have room and I can keep more branches in the canopy they should produce more bud. I still plan to lollipop all branches. I have plenty plant matter to produce. They have showed sex and are mature. I can flower now at any time. Taller won't really gain me much. The plants have had plenty of time to bush out and have most of the branches in the canopy. That's all I really need.

Timber lights show up today! Great timing. I think I am going to flower today or tomorrow. The tent for the LED light is built and ready to go. All I need to do is hang the light and move plants in.

Which plants to move is not going to be pick and choose. I am not going to have much room for stretch. Lets just say there is no one Liberty Haze plant that will fit LOL. Peyote Critical shouldn't stretch much so 1 of them will go. I never had one problem with Chocoloco growing to tall so I think it will fit. So that gives me 2 strains to compare. Next smallest is the O.H.S. but I know I want it under the 1000 watt light. Pretty sure it will stretch, but mostly I want to be sure it makes solid buds. The next plan was to move in one of the last plants I started. The Gorilla Widow is getting too tall and the Blue dream should stretch. If I use one of them I will only be able to move 3 plants so I have room to bend them out of the lights. I am not sure with the plant size. I have I can get 18" between the light and the plants. As great as these 60" tents are you need to flower pretty short plants with them. I will know more when I can get that light hung. Not going to use the single led light this time. I am moving more plants I want to get better coverage.

Man these plants are going nuts. I am getting a couple inches a day right now it looks like. I usually like to get plants a little taller before flower. Then cut the branches back to around 6 that are all in the canopy. Since I am moving a few plants I think I am going to just lollipop every thing and let them go as they are. Liberty Haze could stretch me out more than I would like. Going to need a lot of booster seats by the time stretch is over. I know I have a few bushy plants that are not going to stretch much. They were a bad choice to run with Liberty Haze. All plants are mature so I can go into flower at anytime now. Even short they should produce ok if I leave more branches. I have plenty of usable light and lots of penetration with a 1000 watt HPS.

No more fishing pictures in journals. I got a spanking for the last one. Seems a grow site should stick with grow stuff. I'm good with that. Since there is no site I can share all the things I like. I guess I will stick with established practices LMAO.

Now that I am going to flower there won't be room for extra pictures them anyway. Pictures are not going to be a problem now that I have the booster. At 400 is cost a lot. It cost's $60 a month minimum for internet. This booster will pay for itself in 6 months then its free and clear after that. Well worth the investment.

I hate this part. The money is gone one way or the other. My seed order has been sent out with a big stack of cash in it. No matter how many times I have done this it is always stressful. The fact that I had to send a shit ton of money seems to make that lots worse. I have never lost a order before. I just know it is going to be this time. Shit does happen, that's why they came up with that saying lol.

I just need to not think about it. Like I said the money is gone. Whether I see seeds is a whole different story. This order was from the UK so I will be waiting for a month or so to find out.

The only way not to think about that is to concentrate on what I have going.
This is why I had to move stuff around LOL. Damn that tent is full. Timber light is hooked up with 3 plants under it. Bubble Gum, Peyote Critical, and Choccrit are under it. All 3 are in both tents. I didn't want to risk to much under the new light. I ended up with little choice. These 3 are the only ones short enough to fit. I am hoping they are all going to be bushy and won't grow into the light. I only have 8 to 10 inches to move the light up. I may have to figure out ways to keep it that way. I am hoping these plants won't have tons of stretch.

I had hoped to move the 2 plants from the breeders I don't know about into the LED tent. They are too tall. One at least has shitty genetics and has long internodes already. Pretty sure it is going to stretch bad. The shorter of the 2 is the Blue Dream which I knows has stretch. I don't know about the high yet. What I have seen so far from them is that there have bad genetic traits. I have seen nothing from either plant to make me want to grow more genetics from these breeders. One is Blip Burn the other is Expert seeds.

Compared to the Choccrit that I bred myself plant structure is way better in the Choccrit. That does not mean it will be better. The high is what is really going to matter. There is one of the Choccrit in the back row with the Liberty Haze. It is 4 inches taller than its sisters. So plants can impress early on.

Holy crap there is some growing going on LOL. I have not trimmed anything off up until yesterday. I wanted to make sure everything got it's chance to make it into the canopy. While I got plenty of branches into the canopy. There was way to much plant matter in the tent. I spent 2 hours working on the start of lolly-popping. These have to be the bushiest plants I have ever grown. It was like I had supper cropped every branch. Each branch was covered in branches LOL. Very few main branches went into the trash. All the side branches coming off the side branches are gone. I will probably have to do this all again once stretch is over but the plants needed the room to breath. Lots better air flow around the plants now.

Liberty Haze is still the monster in the closet LOL. 2 of them are. The last one is a little more reasonable. All of them had extensive branching. Choccrit and one of the Bubble Gum plants came in a close second for bushiness. I would have really had to go to town on all the plants if I didn't have room to move the 3 that I did. Plants should still put all their energy into what branches are left. You really shouldn't loose much in production by taking branches off before flower takes hold. I still hate to take any more than I have too.

Another thing to note. Last year I had already started to add extra food to the plants. My thoughts were to make sure they had the nuits when they needed them. That whole plan back fired on my and I ended up with unflushed weed that burned shitty. This grow I am noticing how much to early I added stuff last time. They are a week into flower and still just using the nuits that were in the soil. Looks like by the time I add anything this year it will be flower nuits. I really can't wait to have better burning weed. Last year was the first time I ever tried to push my plants to produce more. While it wasn't a total fail. This is the first time I have had bad burning weed.

I am only going to give plants nuits when they ask for them now. Changing my "give them all the same treatment" grow style. I now have a way to keep track of what each plant gets. I don't have to give them all the same stuff at the same time to be sure nothing was missed. I am pretty sure I will have a couple of plants that won't want anything other than the Miracle Grow soil.

I found my power limit yesterday. I had the breaker trip twice. I can't risk having this happening if I am not around so I had to turn the Timber light down. I will be able to do what I need to with no problem. Ramping things up is a different story. Good thing I had decided to not run clones or flower males. I wouldn't have had enough power for one new tent set up.

I need to figure out how to get more power to the back of the house when I fix this place up. Till then I think I have a plan. I don't have a way to just run heavy duty extension cords like I have in the past. I do have a addition that is run on a separate breaker box. How to introduce them LOL.

All that will solve itself in time. I have plenty of power to run my 60" tent that is all that really matters. The set up as is, will do fine for veg in one tent and flower in the other. Breaker box just doesn't like everything running in high gear all the time. I will get everything figured out now that I have reached my limit. That limit was not near as much as I had hoped LMAO.

Everything has been defoliated and thinned out. It looked thinned out after I did it. This picture from 2 days later makes me wonder if I did enough LMAO.
My perfect canopy is shot to hell now and is only going to get worse as stretch continues. If I had waited a week more like I had planned the Liberty Haze would have outgrown the tent. I need to figure out a new booster chair system. I am going to have to raise a multiple plants up at different levels. Once the major part of stretch is over I will be able to figure out what goes where and how high I need to boost what plants.

All the strains/plants are doing Ok now. Tangiloe is still working things out but is growing lots better. It probably would have outgrown the Liberty Haze with nothing holding it back. I am pretty sure this is the first time I have bent and super cropped everything. Side branching is incredible on all strains. I am also noticing that some of these strains would do great in a SCROG. Not only did they have extensive side branching. Most the side branches had side branches.

I thing to note. One of the Choccrit I thinned out had strong smell. Nothing like the Chocoloco. I know the Critical made itself know in at least one of the pheno's. I am also amazed at how similar the Choccrit and the Peyote Critical are. Can't be the genetics because they were bred by 2 different breeders with 2 different Critical's.

I am starting to get a little excited about the Choccrit. At every stage these plants have impressed me. All that means nothing if the final stage doesn't do the same. With Tangiloe and T2 in the mix I am feeling pretty good as of now that my strains will hold up against the store bought genetics.

No breaker trips yesterday. So far so good. I move the freezer plug to what I hope is a different breaker. I just so happened to have a extension cord made just for this application. My grandpa had some cool stuff LOL.

Everything is looking good. Still not a lot of stretch in the Timber tent. Good thing for me I guess. I am not sure if this really matters. They all started short so maybe I am just not noticing it. Also maybe they are getting so much light they don't need to stretch. Bubble gum has a stretch pheno. It doesn't look like the one in the timber tent is one of those. Liberty Haze is the only stretch monster I have. One of them looks like it is going to be as tall as the Menthol Purps I had last year.

That same tall plant is the one I started moving everyday because it was too tall already. It has been stretching a week more than the others. It is also starting to get just a hint of buds on it.

Thanks Pennywise. I know I am going to start checking into the Amps more of everything I buy. Pretty sure I can lower the amps I am pulling. What I don't know is if I can afford that equipment. I am going to check into Infinity fans more. They are pricey but they may help.

I never realized how much power a freezer pulls. Microwaves draw lots of power for a short period of time. I was unable to use both the Microwave and the freezer plugged into the same area. I moved the Microwave because of this. The freezer was still on the same circuits as the lights. I noticed it running when I re-tripped the breaker the other day. All the lights/fans were on and running when the breaker tripped. It had to be the extra pull from the freezer.

This is the first time I have ever had breaker problems. I have been lucky up to this point.

Lots of changes last night. I guess 1 day does matter LOL. Breaker tripped again. So I have not solved anything.

You would think that the breaker was the cause of the changes. Nope it was the solution LMAO. Ended up the Orange Hill Special hermied on me. One female out of a 10 pack and it is a hermie! That is what started the ball rolling. Funny because I have worked hard and spent good money trying to make plants do this. I guess I am just a control freak LOL. I just can't abide by Multi sex individuals in group sessions. In a closet all by itself or with a friend or two this may be acceptable LMAO.

So O.H.S. is dead. Peyote Critical has moved back to the big boy tent. That leaves 2 plants in the Timber tent. I plan today to remove the 4 light set up that I was running at 3/4 power. Replace it with a single COB led light. This one I will run on full power. I know for sure I will be running the Choccrit under it. I don't know if I will run the last Bubble gum with it or not. If I had to I could move it back to the large tent. What I am not sure of is which light would be better to flower under. The bigger light at lower power or the single at full power. Back in the day when they only spoke in lumens It was easier. I have suggested the single light to a friend so I may as well l see how well it flowers by itself. These plants might be a little tall for a small set up like this. This light was made for small grows and should be able to flower two plants. Might as well see what a single light will do.

I already know I can't run all the stuff I want. Might as well learn what the single COB led will do. I plan to take down the 48" x 24" x 60" tent and put up the smallest tent. I will need the bigger of the 2 for starts in a month or so. I have place where I can put it up later. Hope it works lol. I need to figure out how to run both tents so I can save time in veg. I am sure I could run the bigger light and tent where it is for veg. I was told to veg with 25% to 75% power with Timber lights. What I don't want is to be so close to the point of the breaker going off. I don't want it to happen when I am not here. So I am going to find a place to put it up where I have ALL my options back on the table.

Everything is solvable in some way. I will figure it out. I am still loving the dank smell from Choccrit. 2 of the 3 smell really strong right now. So much so I can tell which ones they are when I have them outside the tent. I don't pay much attention to smell at this time. Mostly smells go unnoticed till flowers start to form. Even then it usually takes a while for smell to show up. Anything with strong smell now might be totally stinky in flower.

Thanks Pennywise. There is a fine line between. Putting a lot of thought into it. AND. Overthinking it LMAO. I hope I am doing the right one. It is weird having to worry about breakers after all this time lol. Thought this was only a problem other people had LMAO.

I do know I want a veg tent. flower tent, and a selfing chamber. Easy enough to do. It is just on the what scale I do it. Pretty sure things will be fine when I move the veg tent to a different part of the house. I got the small light set up with the 2 plants. Kind of weird not be blinded by a grow light. Just don't stare at it LOL. Real curious how well this single light will flower. I lost a lot of warmth when I changed lights. That is going to effect things some.

I went a little nuts in the last couple of days. I just couldn't go into forever with out just a few more genetics. There were a few things I needed to add. I am a big cheese fan. I have more Exodus Cheese. Just nothing to carry on those genetics if I fail to get it to self. I found 2 regular hybrids where I may find a worthy cheese male. I was also very low on the whole G.G. and G.S.C. genetics. What I have added will help me with all that. I am starting to find new genetics with the strains I want in them. I love my old school stuff. Still there is lots of strength in the new kids on the block. I did go with a couple new breeders this time. No way to know for sure what people are breeding with. I know a few that I figure I can trust by just past history. I also went with US based seed banks this time. Both JBC and Southern Oregon seeds. I will make a list of what the strains are and all the what and why in a later post.

Back
Top Bottom