Random Thoughts: Plants & Genetics

One can hope LOL. The fact that I got seeds makes me feel a lot better.

My mentor blew the whole selfing selfed plants thing out of the water. A friend of his has a reselfed a plant 6 times. From what I hear it is just like cloning, genetic information is lost over time. You will lose plant vigor over time but it works.

I found this out about a week before I found my own seeds which would have taught me this also LMAO. Always better to have confirmation from someone that REALLY does know what they are doing.

Got another plant trimmed yesterday. It is the last of the Basic 99. This plant is totally different then the others. kind of fluffy. New growth started a week or so ago that added a little weight. Thought it would be more but wasn't counting on it. This plant shows lots of old school sativa traits. This extra growth is just part of it. Trichomes are cloudy and everything needs to be finished up by the first. I could take almost every plants as of now without losing much. That is another story.
let's just stick with the Basic 99 for now.

Hard to tell with the pictures but this was a gooey mess to trim. I think I am going to like it.

My plants always look pretty ragged by the time I harvest them. That plant was in the tent that had nuirent problems. Lots of the ugly came from then LMAO. They may be ugly but they are well flushed. As long as the buds don't get affected I don't worry to much about it when defiencies show up late in flower. Some strains are just to hard to nail down finish time. I hate it when the finish before they are totally flushed.

Normally they wouldn't be quite this bad. Usually I never post ugly plants. Someone mention i should show my mistakes as well as my win's. This is the best I can do LOL.

That's the F**king hard part for me. I keep forgetting what I know about growing LMAO.

I don't care that they were called ugly, rough, or anything else. Hell they do LOL. Someday I will do the same thing to the same things and things will get better in time. As of right now. Not just my strains change every grow. Most of the time my grow style does also. Sometimes it is soil sometimes it is how the plants are trained. Always things are different.

It is more of a Act and React style then having any one plan. I know plants can do a lot. I just try and figure out what is going to work best for what I am doing at the time. This is probably the only grow I have not topped any plants. Got to find bushy in other ways.

My problems started last grow when I let the big tent go 2 weeks longer in veg than I should have. The extra time cost me problems with feeding in that tent. Plus I lost that 2 weeks of veg time for these plants. So much changed from one decision I made.

I am thinking I can create a good canopy of buds with a little more training. The problem with smaller plants is not that they won't produce. It is how best to let it produce. Hell the last grow the short plant tent produced about as much as the big tent this time. Plant height doesn't matter. I can only go so wide and still get all the plants I need in each tent.

They will have plenty of time in their new pots and they will get another 8 days of veg. All will be good if I can get the training right. Plants will be plenty old enough to do well. You can force almost any plant at any age to flower. They need age to really do well.

Trimming the first R.K.S. today. Buds are not big but they are really hard. Maybe it will produce maybe it won't. All plants lately are coming in around 2 ounces now. I expect everything else to do the same but the 2 R.K.S. I just don't know how much water weight this strain will lose.

Forgot to spell check and whatnot on that last message good luck with it LMAO.

I want to mention something. I am very critical of what I grow. I had really high hopes for this grow being one of my best ever. It sure was genetic wise. What I am finding is none of it is bad. While I may be unhappy with what it does to me. It is doing it really well. I just have way to much daytime weed. What daytime weed I have is really strong so I have to watch how much of it I smoke LOL. It does a pretty good job of keeping you awake, it just adds to much stupid to the high lol. All the energy in the world but not enough brain power to do anything with it LMAO. This would have been a perfect spring harvest, Winter not so much.

My best guess for what happened is just blind luck. Or blind unlucky how ever you want to put it. I had the indica and sativa part right. If not for the loss of the Chocolate Mint Og I would have been fine with indica. It is the hybrids that screwed me this time. Everyone came out on the mostly sativa side when it came to high. Usually they tend to be more indica or middle of the road in effects. This time all my hybrids are sativaish.

Works for me though. Now I know hybrids with that effect. I have found you find less paranoia in hybrids than you do in the more sativa dominant strains.

I really did think the Seedking Purps X Tahoe Og would have more body to it. This strain is fast and hard hitting. Just a totally sativa in the high. It has stronger sativa effects than the sativas I grew just for that LMAO.

I have to keep myself in check. While I may not like what how the effects are. I can't bitch at all about strength.

Nothing you said sounds like a bad thing to me lol. I did the exact opposite of you I grew to many indica and not enough sativa. Thank god the Alien Og took on more of the sativa effects as long as I dont smoke to much of it lol.

My best explanation of the smell is Pot roast. It has a similar spiciness as a G-13 Haze I grew a couple years ago. No Skunk like I was hoping. The R.K.S. must stand for Real Killer Shit and not Really Killer Skunk.

This was grown because it has DNA's name on it. It is a old school type hybrid. Just landrace stuff is used to breed it. None of the new hybrids like most are doing. I wanted something different that was made by a known breeder and they were free LOL. Happy I did as they are some frost F**king plants.

Here is a quick look at the R.K.S. before I start my day. Not going to get shit from this plant. Probably only a ounce. My fault on that. The right nuits at the right time could have bulked this strain up a lot. This is a strain that would do lots better after a grow or 2

While most of all the trichomes I can see are cloudy. You can see some clear ones deep down inside. I guess you can't look at them all LOL. This is from a lower bud which might explain why. They have so damn much resin they make great pics. No matter what color they are there are lots of them LOL.

After trimming for a while I got a better idea of the smell. It is a lot more complex then I thought. Still can't put a name to it but it is really nice. All I can do now is sit back and wait for the magic LOL.

Nope Dankman_420 no skunk to it at all. It has a real nice smell though. More on the spicy side. The smell on my hands after trimming was great. I hope it equates to flavor.

All flowering plants are either trimmed or to be trimmed in the next 2 days. I was getting no more growth or activity at all. Plus the veg tent is almost getting out of hand. The newer plants need a few more days of veg. The Clones are ready to be flowered so they will be moved today to start their flower time. This will give me some room to expand for another week.

I was beginning to wonder about these plants. Soil stayed moist at the bottom of the pots. I was afraid to water them so I just let them go. They looked ok and we not dry so I figured they would be alright. I was right, they may not have been making many leaves but the roots must have been getting after it.

Here are 2 pictures taken 2 days apart.

Everything is bushing out nicely. The one main thing I am doing different this time is using everything they grow. Normally I would trim a lot of lower branches off. Plants were taller. These branches would never make it up into the canopy so they were taken off. I am bending twisting and doing whatever I need to to get everything in the canopy. Seems to be working. Plants are not going to be as tall but they should be almost as old when I go to flower. Plant mass and age have a lot more to do with production then height.

They look great Jack! What a difference a couple of days makes sometimes. They have the plant filled out nicely. I was bs'-ing about skunk with a friend and we both think the true skunk might be gone. Seems to be bred into the abyss. I'm sure it's in the genetics of many strains. But old school skunk is just a memory it seems

I wish I had a little more time. The Tangilope both came out incredibly frosty. Top buds were a little ugly but the lower ones were covered in trichomes. This strain is going to be strong no matter what. Pretty sure it is going to be more head high stuff but oh well can't change shit now.

Smell is a mystery to me. It's not Lemon or Orange but there is a hint of citrus to it. There is a underlying smell that I can't identify. This may in fact come out with a chocolate type flavor. Tangy's flavor was super strong I am hoping its 'hybrids do the same.

With my luck I will get just the nasty part of the Tangy flavor and none of the Orange LMAO. I loved the smell of Tangy. The problem was it tasted like it smelled LOL.

Funny how that works. When I want it to taste like it smells it doesn't. When I don't want it to it does. Such is life LMAO.

So to sum up my first grow of the season. I got a bunch of weed that is very good to great. I can not complain about any of it. Strength is not a issue on any of them. Just because it does not do what I want it to does not mean what it does is not do plenty. I can literally smoke myself stupid and my body still has energy LOL.

Back
Top Bottom