Ready To Start My First Grow

Thanks guys for the support and encouragement. I've got some cfls to add to my T5 for a boost when my seedlings break through. I'm stoked about getting the grow underway.

Hey Shadowman I am currently using 18 23watt cfls and all is well. I am not sure what the yield will be but Ill be glad to help in any way i can.
IMG_33991.JPG

414 grams ideally. Once it is dry that 414 will be about 85 or a bit less so about 3 oz dry weight. Not to bad if you provide ideal conditions for that amount of light

I'll keep the light down then until flower. I'll have 4 cfl's to add to the mix- 2 2700k and 2 6500k plus my T5. I'll probably only have 2 for the tent, so hopefully I'll have enough room to lst, tie down and max my flowers, and do some Daving(wrapping) and or de-foliage.

You will want those cfl 1 inch or 2 max away from the canopy of the plant.

not necessarily until flower (sorry if i'm giving you mixed signals) The extreme light right out of seed can be damaging, because its so young and tender. If you wait until it has Its first "true" set of leaves until you turn up the light you'll be just fine. if your worried about room consider getting a tomato trellis, cutting down the bottom 3'rd (the ring and feet, so its just shorter and "wider only about 2 feet) and zip tie netting to the top, and make individual "scrog" set ups (all materials should be less than $20 total) it'll help you get the most training for your space. As for defoliation, I'm a huge fan, i'm also no expert. From my research, defoliation works best in extreme environments, A.k.A - CO2 enrichment, Optimum temperatures, humidity and maximum nutrient uptake, so to defer all shock from cutting and trimming on a regular basis. Since your not running HID lights, personally i think you'l see more success by doing as much LST/scrog-ing as possible. Maximizing your surface area/photosynthesis, exposing your buds, and shocking your plants as little possible

1 more Knowledge bomb (explosion noise!!!)a lot of people I see using CFLs to enhance lighting, put them very low, on the sides, exposing the undersides of the leaves (stoma) to light, it slows down respiration, and retards growth, not to a point were you would think its causing damage, but in a side by side to exposed/unexposed you'll lose about 10-15% girth. so for individual lighting, reflector cones are your best friend, giving you the more bang for that extra little investment

You will want those cfl 1 inch or 2 max away from the canopy of the plant.

Shadow, Smoker has given you the right advice. Keep your lights low! The CFLs are keeping the soil moist and warm and that is the key to good germination success! When they break the ground keep the lights low, it will keep the seedling from stretching! That light will not hurt your baby at all! The more the better!

Day 3 from germination, I was having trouble getting the humidity to 50% so I added soaked paper towels to the drip pans and that brought me up to 53%. I'll leave it there until I break through the soil and get a couple of inches in height. Then I'll bring it up to 75-80%.
No seedlings showing yet but from what I've read, it could take up to 7-10 days depending. Temp is around 70-75.
2014-04-03_12_46_23.jpg

They pop yet? If not, place some plastic around a heating plant and place your cups on top. Seeds will break through quicker!

not necessarily until flower (sorry if i'm giving you mixed signals) The extreme light right out of seed can be damaging, because its so young and tender. If you wait until it has Its first "true" set of leaves until you turn up the light you'll be just fine. if your worried about room consider getting a tomato trellis, cutting down the bottom 3'rd (the ring and feet, so its just shorter and "wider only about 2 feet) and zip tie netting to the top, and make individual "scrog" set ups (all materials should be less than $20 total) it'll help you get the most training for your space. As for defoliation, I'm a huge fan, i'm also no expert. From my research, defoliation works best in extreme environments, A.k.A - CO2 enrichment, Optimum temperatures, humidity and maximum nutrient uptake, so to defer all shock from cutting and trimming on a regular basis. Since your not running HID lights, personally i think you'l see more success by doing as much LST/scrog-ing as possible. Maximizing your surface area/photosynthesis, exposing your buds, and shocking your plants as little possible

Ok, thanks, I got my 1st seedling this morning. I have my T5 about 12" above the pots.

Shadow, Smoker has given you the right advice. Keep your lights low! The CFLs are keeping the soil moist and warm and that is the key to good germination success! When they break the ground keep the lights low, it will keep the seedling from stretching! That light will not hurt your baby at all! The more the better!

Ok, I'll drop them down to a couple of inches off the pots.

Congrats Shadowman! Great job! Just let the seedling do her thing. Keep the soil damp, but not wet. No need to worry about feeding for another 3 to 4 weeks.

:thumb:

Congrats Shadowman! Great job! Just let the seedling do her thing. Keep the soil damp, but not wet. No need to worry about feeding for another 3 to 4 weeks.

:thumb:

Thanks SABO, I'm using our new sponsors product-Ideal420Soil. They say I won't have to use any additives, that it's already in the soil and that I only need to use water for the entire grow. They also have a Root booster that you add to the water if you add anything at all. I think I'm the first grower at 420 Magazine to use it. I order it before I was a member here and before they became a sponsor. I'll be posting lots of pics when they get a little bigger. I'm going to check out your grow link. Talk with ya later. :thanks: :thumb:
P.S. You can call me shadow for short.

Shadow im using the same type of soil but its called M3 it works great check out my grow for any tips. Im going all organic on everything in my grow. Make shur u usa a buffer when u trancplant to bigger pots.

Hey sapperman420, Here comes the nube in me, What is a Buffer? I haven't heard that term before.

Your using what is called a "HOT SOIL" with a high NPK. When you tp fill your pot at least half way with your hot soil put about a 1 inch "Buffer" over the hot soil. I use pro mix. Put your plant in and fill around it with the pro mix. This keeps your plants from burning from the heavy neuts and makes your roots want to strech out and search for the neuts. Keep in mind this is just what i do myself. Let me know if i can help any more and good luck

Back
Top Bottom