Real canoe leaves

I recognize that maybe I shouldn't have said that you were arguing and
perhaps there was a nicer way to say it so I'll apologize. Sorry.

Poor bill, man. His house burned down cuz of faulty wiring in a grow light.
I'm not sure it had anything to do with the house, especially given his insurance would've done an investigation into it. I sent the thread hoping a cautionary tale would drive home the fact that things can happen -
and being cautious or prepared is important. Whether it's relevant to your situation or not,
I thought you would be empathetic given it could've happened to anyone. No one is trolling anyone.
If you can't value that or be receptive to our advice then just carry on and ignore it, that was always an option.

Sounds like we got off on the wrong foot. In our defense, you didn't seem to provide much background on your growing abilities nor construction experience, so when you asked for help we offered what was obvious to us.

All of the suggestions were given in good faith and we hope you will take it as such. You took the time to present some pictures of your issues and with limited background we offered suggestions.

But as said, this is your grow, and sounds like things are improving now that you are back at the helm.

I, for one, hope this first experience doesn't sour your view of us and this site. We were truly trying to help. Give it another chance and I think you'll find that we really are a pretty friendly and helpful bunch.

:Namaste:

I brought up what I see that could be problem. It was not meant to be any more than a cautionary comment. You would be surprised at what we have seen people doing with their electric cords and water. As an experienced builder I figure you have seen some interesting home "temporary fixes" in some of the buildings you have had to go into for repairs or upgrades.

I dont understand how you dont see the big piece of 6 mill plastic under everything.

But as far as the cord? Nothing can get wet if I dont make it wet. I water the plants one pitcher at a time. There has to this day never been water on the plastic and those upper plants are sitting on a step up.
Yep, I saw the plastic sheeting and figured you were using it to protect the carpet from any soil or small water spills. I have done the same. Thing is, plastic sheeting is not rigid enough that it will be able to trap water if too much is spilled or just accumulates unnoticed.

And those small accidents will happen. We are proof of that since we both have dropped small plants in small containers while carrying them.:).

Never any run off.

you should be feeding / watering to probably about a 10% run off. it's a level recommended by almost 100% of nute schedules. many include a periodic flush as part of the schedule as well. i'd check yours for clarity.

you should be feeding / watering to probably about a 10% run off. it's a level recommended by almost 100% of nute schedules. many include a periodic flush as part of the schedule as well. i'd check yours for clarity.
While the first portion of this is a response to your post and some questions....Once you get down a bit I am trying to address everyone so I dont have to write so many posts.

I am not using nutrients while watering. I used Dr Earth and mixed it into the soil according to the bag. 1/4 cup per 5 gallons. I have Dr Earth bloom that I will use when I get to that stage.

Are you speaking in reference to the buckets with the trays underneath? Or the felt pots? I cant get water to run out of those felt pots. It will run over the top before it will come through that felt.

I've read a few places that you should have 25 to 33% water in your pot when you water. So I take 30 percent of my pots volume and that is the amount of water I give the plants.

The felt pots never leak. However, They get really heavy in comparison to the weight when dry and the bottom of them gets wet. They just dont run off. But within a day or two you can tell they are getting significantly lighter. So I need to water them more. I was told.

The buckets... I water those and the run off trays are 2 inches high. I water them with the same method of volume.

When I got back from the hospital after 4 days the plants were dry. Nothing in the run off trays. Not a drop.

My buddy kept telling me I was over watering them but I just didnt believe that so maybe he didnt water them while I was gone and that helped to cause the some of the issues some of them were having. When I got home I soaked them all and within two days all was well.

But I am sure I will not have an issue with run off because of the way I water my plants and where I sit when I am home . I use paper towels to soak up the water in the drip trays until I know there is nothing going to run out and ruin my carpet or run on my plastic. When I got home from the hospital the largest plant took over a gallon of water just to get the water to run out and fill the drip tray. Of course I keep a close eye on it until the water is filling the tray up and then I remove that excess until its about a 1/4 left in the tray. No need to be flooded with a 2 inch tray overflowing on my floor.

I put the plastic down because of the dirt and because you never know when you will drop a bit of water and I dont like the idea of water on my floors. While I had the back right plant in the 3 gallon container roots were actually growing out the bottom holes and i had no tray for it. So I watered it until water was running out of it and dammed up the plastic around it and man that plant would suck that water up in a few hours. Twice I did that before transplanting it into the felt.

Someone stated that you can't dam up plastic. Well, that is true if you use thin plastic. Like 2 mill. Or painters plastic. But not 6 mil plastic. Of course, this is not a good solution..... As stated... it is temporary. Also Its not lost on me that if too much water overflows the pots it doesn't matter how much you dam it up with plastic. It can push it. But as I have stated in another post... The plug is double ground faulted on a GFI line. It can not catch fire and the most it will do is blow a breaker if water touched it. Again, This is not the final place these plants will be. The basement is where they are going and we are slowing piecing that together.

You know part of the problem is my buddy moved in after I bought my house and he didnt tell me he started the seeds. That kind of caught me off guard and then I had to start running around learning and purchasing things just to get them out of the outside the moment I realized the sun was almost under 12 hours a day out there. So I was rushed to get them inside under a light somewhere.

The bottom line with all of the back and forth about these things, let me make it very clear that I appreciate you all.
Except Porky82. :) Just kidding. He was throwing a bit of shade (probably all in good fun) so I figured I would throw some back his way. But every one of you.... seem to be really chill people. Unfortunately for me while I have these issues I have my stress level is high and I cant smoke.

The photo shows how close I am to the grow area the entire time I'm at home.

I am showing this so that people understand, when I water these plants I am around them non stop until the run off is settled and no chance of getting on my carpet.

What you see is my closet, my router and the edge of my LG C1 TV that I use as a computer monitor. I am never not near these plants unless I go to work (for 3 hours) and while I am at work my buddy/roomate watches them. They are never alone. And he is home all day.

I am appreciative of everyone's comments.

20231002_150355.jpg

I will always admit when I am wrong about something.
This is the reason the felt plants don't look as good as the others!
I won't mention the cord I promise! 😉
I will ALWAYS admit when I was wrong about something.

I had droopy plants last night in my 5 gallon plastic buckets and so I picked one up and it was so light I couldn't believe how light it was.

It took me 2 1/2 gallons of water to get any run off to start in both plastic 5s. But I woke this AM to no droop.

So those felt pots... I've still never saw any run off. But I will be watering them next time until I get a lot of run off. Or I drown them first. They now have plastic run off trays under them ready to go.

Photo taken this AM

20231006_102239.jpg

Back
Top Bottom