Real canoe leaves

Aweedtec

I looked this up and all I see are people who dont have canoe leaves. Or no photos. They have curled leaves in the photos I see.

Canoe leaves are one of my 4 plants I call "the retard." lol
I call it that because its way behind the other two that were planted at the same time. It started in a cup. When I was going to transplant it I tripped walking in the door with another tray of three seedlings. The tray was ok. But the cup took a terrible tumble. All over the floor.
So I picked it back up and planted it. It had about a 3/4 inch root at the time. It took a while to recover and start moving but once it did it really moved in one week. Then, CANOE!

Someone asked if it could be lights. But, its under the same lights as the other plants. The same distance. With all the same medium and nutrients.

Here is CANOE leaves. But of course since this is my first grow indoors ever (and my outdoor grows were basically plant and walk away about 30 years ago)

So I know what they are..... Because I also have another plant that has curled leaves (you can see that plant just under the one with the canoe leaves in the photo of the full plant. But just a bit of it) The curled leaves looked like an old witches hand. And that seems to be what everyone is posting on the forum calling them canoe leaves. I will make another post about that one shortly.

Does anybody know how this happens? I did use a felt 5 gallon bag on this plant. So I have a feeling when I was in the hospital it didnt get watered enough. My buddy is scared to water them too much. So maybe he didnt give them enough water. But now I have this issue.

Yesterday I watered it well and it seemed to go down a bit. But now its back up again.

20230929_234011.jpg

20230929_234015.jpg

20230929_234429.jpg

Welcome aboard.

There are many possibilities causing what you are seeing. So here are a few thoughts. I am sure that others will have suggestions for your situation based on their own experience.

So I picked it back up and planted it. It had about a 3/4 inch root at the time. It took a while to recover and start moving but once it did it really moved in one week. Then, CANOE!

Someone asked if it could be lights. But, its under the same lights as the other plants. The same distance. With all the same medium and nutrients.
It could be the lights. My thoughts based on what you have mentioned is that the roots on the one plant that fell on the floor have not yet completely recovered. As a result it is not ready yet to be as close to the lights as the others.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the plants are not identical even if they came from the same batch of seeds. The one plant might be reacting the way it is just because that is the way it is genetically programmed. The root issue might not be making any difference and the plant would have been 'canoeing' even if the roots had never been damaged.

Think about raising the lights up and seeing what happens after a week.

Welcome aboard.

There are many possibilities causing what you are seeing. So here are a few thoughts. I am sure that others will have suggestions for your situation based on their own experience.

It could be the lights. My thoughts based on what you have mentioned is that the roots on the one plant that fell on the floor have not yet completely recovered. As a result it is not ready yet to be as close to the lights as the others.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the plants are not identical even if they came from the same batch of seeds. The one plant might be reacting the way it is just because that is the way it is genetically programmed. The root issue might not be making any difference and the plant would have been 'canoeing' even if the roots had never been damaged.

Think about raising the lights up and seeing what happens after a week.
Thanks. This seemed like the best forum I've seen so far.

I raised them a little bit a few days ago and watered the plant when I got home and the canoeing seemed to lay down a little bit. Then I realized that the substrate was drying out a lot quicker than in the buckets in that felt pot.
So I felt like I just needed to water it more. My felt pot was dry So I gave it a bunch of water. And it just ain't doing it. I would say the light is about 30 in away from the plants right now.

And you are definitely right about how that thing got stunted. It was stunted twice. It took a long time for that plant to start moving. But I haven't topped it because I'm worried about double stunting it after having already been stunted while it has canoeing leaves. But the growth that's new doesn't seem to be canoeing. Just leaves that have been around a while.

After the first stressing when it grew its second set of leaves they were both yellow as can be and then from there everything above those leaves were green.

But not as dark a shade of green as my other plants.

Any idea how often you're supposed to water the felt container? Vivosun felt 5 gallon. I've been winging it because I have no clue and can't find solid info so this grow is an experiment for me.

Forgive my over wordiness. Its just the way I am and I can't stop it. 😂

And you are definitely right about how that thing got stunted. It was stunted twice. It took a long time for that plant to start moving. But I haven't topped it because I'm worried about double stunting it after having already been stunted while it has canoeing leaves. But the growth that's new doesn't seem to be canoeing. Just leaves that have been around a while.
Try babying that plant for a couple of days. If you can't increase the distance from the leaves to the light, try rigging up a piece of white copy paper above it and see if that helps. If it does, you'll know it's a light issue. In that case it will just take a few days for it to regroup. If it doesn't help then it's something else like @SmokingWings said.

Any idea how often you're supposed to water the felt container? Vivosun felt 5 gallon. I've been winging it because I have no clue and can't find solid info so this grow is an experiment for me.
Watering canna plants is different from many others. Emilya has a good watering thread Here or you can skip the whole learning curve and come join us in #SIP Club for your next round.

If you want to do the wet/dry thing in your fabric pots, you give them a good soak and then wait until they're surprising light when you pick them up and then give them a good soaking again. The interval between cycles will shrink as the root ball grows more dense until it gets to only a day or two, and then its time to uppot.

That's for veg though. in flower you give them as much as they want..

And welcome to :420:

it's just a minor heat / light / humidity reaction. some strains and phenos are more prone than others.

how you water will depend on media. you water different for coco than you would various soil type media.
for a soil type media ty reading through this :

The canoeing plant is the back left in the photo. It appears to be doing much better after raising the light and watering it. The leaves that canoed are about 2 percent of what they were. I thought hey were going to turn into pea pods they were curling so much. Thanks for your responses.

I stupidly had it on the same water schedule as the pots in the 5 gallon drywall mud buckets.

I believe the plant in the back right was root bound in a 3 gallon pot. The soil was about 3 and a half inches from the top so it wasnt even 3 gallons of soil. Maybe 2 and a half gallons. So I upped it to another vivosun felt pot. It seems to be doing better as well but its bottom leaves are a bit dry. Not horrible. But the edges seem a bit prickly. Hopefully it recovers now.

20230930_224753.jpg

how you water will depend on media. you water different for coco than you would various soil type media.
for a soil type media ty reading through this :
We started the seeds in miracle grow in little cups and then a long pot. We had 3 of them in that long pot. A squirrel got to one of them. It looked like he was raging the way he tore two of them up. And they were just seedlings at the time. It was kind of comical. I watched it from my patio door. The large one is the only one that made it through the squirrel massacre.

So for media we just used Pro mix and mixed in Dr Earth veg as the direction suggested. It went from the cup to the 5 gallon bucket.

That cord on the floor scares me a bit.
Do you water until runoff?
Wouldn't hurt to have some drip trays.
I have been looking at the cord for awhile now, ever since it showed up in one of the other photos. That photo also showed what look like the clear plastic plant saucers under the two buckets. A bit harder to see them in this photo. But no saucers seem to be under the back two pots.

The big danger is the end of the brown extension cord looks like it has what might be a timer plugged in. Open electrical plugs that water might get into. Most likely there will never be anything to worry about but it is the freaky events that can cause either interesting or the occasional disastrous problems. Plus this grow is on a carpet which can and often will soak up water and take days to dry out which could be a shocking experience.

There are drip trays under the 5 gallon buckets but the felt pots never get wet underneath. Well they get wet but they don't leak water.
And I have plastic down to save my carpet.
The cord is for the fans. Never any run off.

The big danger is the end of the brown extension cord looks like it has what might be a timer plugged in. Open electrical plugs that water might get into. Most likely there will never be anything to worry about but it is the freaky events that can cause either interesting or the occasional disastrous problems. Plus this grow is on a carpet which can and often will soak up water and take days to dry out which could be a shocking experience.
I dont understand how you dont see the big piece of 6 mill plastic under everything.

That carpet was just put in that closet and it has no padding underneath. It cost me 40 dollars to put that carpet in there. So if anything gets wet I toss it and get a new one.

But as far as the cord? Nothing can get wet if I dont make it wet. I water the plants one pitcher at a time. There has to this day never been water on the plastic and those upper plants are sitting on a step up.

Ive been shocked many times by electricity. I work around it all the time and I dont flip breakers unless its 220.
Maybe that's the reason for all my problem! lol

I mean instead of arguing, just raise the cord up. It's an easy fix. lol
And I'm not trying to chew you out, but it's worth it if it saves a life.

That plastic tarp isn't going to be enough to handle the amount of runoff you'll be having -
when watering correctly. And especially so during bloom where watering properly in a fabric container
can mean having to water until runoff, stopping and coming back again to water some more later.
You want the soil well saturated to keep the roots happy and avoid dry spots or lockouts.

People here can tell you stories of how fast things can go wrong.
Here's a thread about safety and precautions you can take by a member who had a fire nearly burn his house down.

I agree with everyone, hang the lead if you are going to leave the plastic drop sheet rather than having a catch tray .
It might not be you that the potential accident will happen to or it might be either way its avoidable.
I wish you SAFE and happy growing 👍

That plastic tarp isn't going to be enough to handle the amount of runoff you'll be having -
when watering correctly. And especially so during bloom where watering properly in a fabric container
can mean having to water until runoff, stopping and coming back again to water some more later.
You want the soil well saturated to keep the roots happy and avoid dry spots or lockouts.

People here can tell you stories of how fast things can go wrong.
Here's a thread about safety and precautions you can take by a member who had a fire nearly burn his house down.

SO, no matter what I say now, to you it will be an argument. So, This is all I will be saying.

This is the reason the felt plants don't look as good as the others!
I won't mention the cord I promise! 😉
I can assure you that is not why . As they have only been in the felt pots for a very short time.

I put the one on the back left in the felt pot right before I went into the hospital last Saturday morning at 4:18am in an ambulance.
So its been in there a week of its under one month life span. The front plant that is the largest was planted 5 to 7 days before the others 3.
The other one was put in the felt pot 2 days ago. Back Right.

I appreciate concern and people looking out for safety. But when someone responds to that and says
1. They were started outside.
2. I bought the light because I looked up daylight times and that day was 12:36 sunrise to sunset and I knew they would start flowering in another few days if I didnt get them inside. That is when they were brought inside.
3. Every one of these plants have only been inside under 23 hour light for under 2 weeks. Before that they were getting 13 to 14 hours of light so I made a quick decision in between my busy life to throw together a temp grow room until I could set up a good one in the basement.
4. The back left plant was stunted 4 times for various reasons. I tripped walking in the house and it flew across the room while in a plastic cup and completely dislodged its 3/4 inch root from the soil. While in the hospital, i got a call from a very paranoid friend. It started canoeing and that is explained above. It was put in the felt pot and took a long time to start growing because of that. It has been behind the rest the entire time. I literally call it the retard and have been calling it that since it came up because it had a thinner stalk for an inch and a half above the soil which was another cause of stunting the plant and I fixed that by mounding up some soil around it soaking wet. Roots grew so it became a net benefit instead of a liability. Now its moving and I finally topped it today.
5. The other felt pot was just transplanted 2 days ago from a 3 gallon pot. It outgrew that 3 gallon pot fast because it only had about 2 and a half gallons of soil in it. It started moving the moment it went into the felt pot and was watered until the pot was heavy and i could tell the soil at the bottom was wet.

6. The 2 plants in the front have been in 5 gallon buckets since they were 3 inches tall.
THAT is why they are doing better than the back two.

On the stupid cord issue. I've been a builder for decades. I do all the work myself. Every single trade.
1. The cord is NOT a danger. This is not the same as the guy who has the fire journal. Its not even close to that.
2. The carpet I have in there is 1/4 pile and fire retarded.
3. Water will blow a breaker instantly. It does not start fires. IF that were the case houses would be burning down from this all the time. People run extension cords across carpet all the time. Should we assume they are a danger?
Or maybe they do it temporarily?
4. This may be a matter of people being concerned for safety. I get that. But this is not a safety hazard.
I'm not an idiot and I dont water my carpet. I just bought this house. You think I want to destroy my carpet I just bought and installed? A drop of water will not touch that carpet. That I can guarantee.

Do anyone really believe that I am going to go in there and drench these plants until water is running across my floor?

5. I can not hang this cord from anything. Its not long enough. It is barely long enough to get where it is now.
Its not a danger where it is. There will be no "over watering" I have never gotten water on the floor or on the plastic and the pots in the back are up 8 inches on a step with a barrier to stop water from falling down the step near the other plants. You can't see it because the plants on the floor are covering it up. The plastic around the pots are also very high. If I run that much water through those buckets to where I fill a 2 inch high tray to overflowing? Not happening. And no I am not suggesting that I wont water the hell out of them every 3 to 5 days. But when the water runs out of the bottom into the tray i am there with paper towels to sop it up before it runs over. Its not happening.

Once again, This is temporary. As was stated pretty clearly, that is, unless I should have put that between every sentence I type so nobody misses it. I have been out of the hospital since Tuesday. A friend took care of the plants while I was there and he stunted them again by allowing the RH to get to 75+ percent and I believe he was so scared he was trying random stuff. Calling his nephew and taking his advice. Which was funny since he is growing outdoors for his first time. He couldn't get ahold of me in the hospital because I was having tests done when he called.
When he got ahold of me I told him how to lower the RH in 10 seconds from 75+ to 55. Pick up my powerful fan and just exhaust the entire closet. Then make sure the door was open 3 inches. Then take the fan after exhausting the entire closet and put the fan in my bedroom doorway blowing all the cool air from the living room into the bed room. Which would in turn go into the closet. So, 3 days he flipped out and all he had to do was call me. I guess he didnt want me to think he needed my help.

When I got home the plants were all screwed up. All but one. They were not screwed up when I left. And they are not screwed up now that I am back. I am relentless with making sure those things that matter are taken care of every hour. I dont posses laziness.

I have been setting up my basement for taking the entire grow down there as fast as I can since I do have a job and have a very serious health issue that just started a few weeks ago.

I was diagnosed with a serious heart block where the top chamber beats and then the AV stem is supposed to send a signal to the bottom chamber to beat and unfortunately for me, it doesn't. My pulse jumps from 30 bpm to 90bpm. For no reason other than, that's the way the ball bounces when dealing with life. Both of my grandfathers died of heart attacks at 47 and 53. I am 52.

The last thing I need is a bunch of nonsense on a forum I believed wasn't full of trolling.

Nobody knows what people are going through in life and yet, bah, who cares. That seems to be the attitude of people today.

The fire journal I was shown?

WoW. That guy did a big no no. He changed his 15 amp breaker to a 20. Did ya know they take different wiring? 20 amps is hotter than 15. It requires more insulation. So you cant just do that. Which that guy did.

I fail to see how a cord laying on the floor will cause a fire with a good breaker, a very high end surge protector with a circuit breaker on it. So I am DOUBLE covered in case water did hit the plug. But it wont because I am not a beginner when it comes to dealing with houses. I also had a job as an inspector. I think I got this part.

And this is why I didnt want to respond to the comment that "I was arguing." Because I could write another chapter about how silly it is to complain about that cord. I understand wanting to help to make sure someone is safe. But I am not that guy. I will definitely die of a heart attack before a fire.

My light cant catch the place on fire because I can hold it in my hands on 100%. LEDs are low voltage. They can not burn my fire resistant 5/8 drywall which is code for fire blocking before I would know it. Not to mention, Someone is always here.

One last thing... The grow room I saw that burned down in a post link above? That was the clearest example of what not to do. I have done not a single one of those things.
And here is the kicker... the guy who posted the fire journal? He had his cords off the floor. Go figure.

Can someone show me a felt pot with water running out of the bottom? I would like to see this.

Back
Top Bottom