Root aphids? Spider mites? What do I do?

MaryJANE01

Hey guys could really do with some of your help, iv been growing an auto white widow indoors she is currently 44 days above surface. Growing in coco coir.

2 days ago I saw some movement on a preflower and when I got a little closer I noticed it was like a tiny white bug.

At first I though it was spider mites and had a closer inspection to find hundreds of them in my medium maybe 1000s.. I had giving the plant some b vitamins in powdered form so though that's what all the white was on the top surface. It's only now I can see them all moving around.

Anyway now I'm starting to think that it there s root aphids as there now t really on my plant as such but all over the surface of my medium, which I also read is quite common when using coco.

This is my third grow, first proper one as in a good set up with lights and fans etc.

My plant is a bit small because of a bad start but I'm thinking now that it could also be because of these little shits that it has been stunted.

Any help is appreciated. Want to get rid of these fuckers so I can still have some bit of smoke at the end of the grow ✌️

First off, I know that even commercial fertilizer makers offer B vitamin supplements, but I'm really skeptical about that...

As for bugs, I'd suggest trying Bayer Natria neem oil spray. It's organic and they say it can be used on fruits and vegetables until the day of harvest.

Those sticky cards that bugs stick to sound like a good idea too.

With an established problem like yours, you'll want to treat regularly and aggressively. Keep the soil as dry as you can. (Blow a fan over it.)

Good luck.

these things are a nightmare! iv got 2 wilma systems with there res tanks full of these! i use westland resolva, works a treat!

I am going to pick up some neem oil as soon as I can as recommended by a fellow 420 member. No harm trying this too though if that fails to do the business.

How would I go about using the Westland resolva? And thanks for the reply!

Quick pic of what's all over my medium.

420-magazine-mobile1805284191.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1885340525.jpg

First off, I know that even commercial fertilizer makers offer B vitamin supplements, but I'm really skeptical about that...

As for bugs, I'd suggest trying Bayer Natria neem oil spray. It's organic and they say it can be used on fruits and vegetables until the day of harvest.

Those sticky cards that bugs stick to sound like a good idea too.

With an established problem like yours, you'll want to treat regularly and aggressively. Keep the soil as dry as you can. (Blow a fan over it.)

Good luck.

Yeah I'm definitely going to try that neem oil and see if that will help at all.

I might as well pick up the sticky cards too there's no harm in putting a few in just to make sure I get all the little bastards.

My fan is installed and I'm not going to water again until the coir is nearly bone dry, when it is nearly all dry then I will mix 2.5ml neem oil, 2ml flora gro, 2ml calmag and 2ml AHH with 1.5l of water.

I will then let it go nearly all dry again before doing that exact remedy again.

I will also spray a water/oil mixture on the plant every day.

I haven't done this before so sorry for explaining the exact detail of what I'll be doing but do you think that should work?

yeah iv heard neem oil is really good!

all i did was sprayed the leaves once the lights went of, as soon as the lights came back on they had vanished!

but got them in the last few weeks of flowering in the res tank which im just going to leave.

if i were you i would just spreay it a few times on your medium/soil and take a look the next couple of days after, heard people put a layer of sand on top and it stops them burring thereselves in.

yeah iv heard neem oil is really good!

all i did was sprayed the leaves once the lights went of, as soon as the lights came back on they had vanished!

but got them in the last few weeks of flowering in the res tank which im just going to leave.

if i were you i would just spreay it a few times on your medium/soil and take a look the next couple of days after, heard people put a layer of sand on top and it stops them burring thereselves in.

I'm going to get on it right away, I've been having nothing but bad luck since I started this grow. Even before it I was having bad luck with delivery of lights and everything.

Hope my next grow will reward me for the hassle I've been through with this one.

I have read about the layer of sand too so if all comes to all then I will add that too and see if it helps

Thanks again! .

I once thought about injecting water deep below the surface so the plant could get water but the surface would stay dry. Turkey baster?

That's not a bad idea at all, only thing I would say is that if they are under the soil too won't they just go deeper into the medium?

This is my reason for wanting to add the neem oil to my water mix so that it goes down through all the medium.

Definitely worth looking into though and I may do it that way.

Thanks scientific.

Just say if I was to get rid of most but not all of them, would it still be ok to smoke the buds or would I feel any kind of illness from them been there?

Just asking as higherthehigh was saying you will be leaving them in the res and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get them all by time harvest comes.

Basically what I'm saying is, if there hasn't been significant damage done to the plant from them but they are still there during harvest could you still smoke them buds or should I just throw them away?

That's not a bad idea at all, only thing I would say is that if they are under the soil too won't they just go deeper into the medium?

This is my reason for wanting to add the neem oil to my water mix so that it goes down through all the medium.

Definitely worth looking into though and I may do it that way.

Thanks scientific.

Well you gotta keep the plant alive during treatment. I don't think neem oil is going to mix with water. Maybe not worry too much about the fine points and just do the standard treatment regularly do knock down the population? (You may never get rid of them entirely.)

I don't think the bugs themselves are harmful, but personally, I would get rid of any cannabis with fungus, bugs, bird poop, etc.

Just spray the soil with neem oil every day, try to keep the soil dry, use fans, and put up sticky traps. If you do that aggressively and regularly, you should be able to knock them way back.

You might want to research "bud washing" for your harvest.

I don't think the bugs themselves are harmful, but personally, I would get rid of any cannabis with fungus, bugs, bird poop, etc.

Just spray the soil with neem oil every day, try to keep the soil dry, use fans, and put up sticky traps. If you do that aggressively and regularly, you should be able to knock them way back.

You might want to research "bud washing" for your harvest.

I've been looking at the bud washing and I think I will give it a go.

For now I'm going to do exactly as you said with the neem oil, just spray it on top of my coco and the plant itself.
I'm also going to try inject the water to keep the surface dry as you said and I will put a few of them sticky cards on the surface.

While I try get them in control until harvest I'm going to keep looking for more info on the bud washing and hopefully I won't have to throw this out as I really wanted to try it out and see what I have grown .

One gallon of water to 15 mL of 3% hydrogen peroxide will kill just about anybody being in your soil including your good beneficial bacteria and the bad I hope this helps

You can go to the store and just buy anything at 3% hydrogen peroxide that you would use on your own Cuts just use 15 mL in a gallon of water pour into the soil it will kill them instantly of soil start to foam once the bugs will try to flee just straight any Escape victims with any remaining hydrogen peroxide water

If you have to go ahead and Google it so you can feel safer doing it I understand that people are hesitant to do things to their plants that they do not know but this is something that I do on a regular basis

Back
Top Bottom