Roots & transplant

I prefer to up pot early and once, but you do need enough roots to be able to support the plant should any roots be damaged during transplant. (And there’s always some damage).
That is why I like putting my new sprouts into final pot...
:hookah:

I prefer to up pot early and once, but you do need enough roots to be able to support the plant should any roots be damaged during transplant. (And there’s always some damage).
Yes me too. They just popped there heads above soil two days ago and I havnt had roots out of pot so soon so didn’t know if I should wait for roots to fill out a little or just up pot into maybe 4 or 6 inch pot.

If I have seedling in 2inchx2inch pot and have inch of roots out the bottom in three days from pop should I up pot now or wait? Whole pot isn’t filled dirt would fall away if I take it out of the pot
This is a really confusing situation to be in. Or is is a "what if" question.

I do not see any mention of whether this is a photo-period or auto-flower plant which usually will influence any discussion on if, when and how often to transplant.

Within three days after germination at least an inch of a root is showing out of the bottom? You wrote this sentence, "Whole pot isn’t filled dirt would fall away if I take it out of the pot" which could mean several things. So I have to ask if the 2" by 2" pot is properly filled with soil all the way to within a 1/2 of the top rim? If you did not then the pot was not filled properly.

Or are you saying that the whole pot is not yet filled up with roots and the soil will fall away if you take the plant out.

We really need to know a bit more about your situation. A newly sprouted seed has only one root and already it is out the bottom of the pot. Break that root at this early stage and the plant might not live.

Very rarely will a tap root coming out the bottom of a pot of soil start to send out side roots unless the area under the pot stays very moist. Instead the root tends to dry out and die back.

This is a really confusing situation to be in. Or is is a "what if" question.

I do not see any mention of whether this is a photo-period or auto-flower plant which usually will influence any discussion on if, when and how often to transplant.

Within three days after germination at least an inch of a root is showing out of the bottom? You wrote this sentence, "Whole pot isn’t filled dirt would fall away if I take it out of the pot" which could mean several things. So I have to ask if the 2" by 2" pot is properly filled with soil all the way to within a 1/2 of the top rim? If you did not then the pot was not filled properly.

Or are you saying that the whole pot is not yet filled up with roots and the soil will fall away if you take the plant out.

We really need to know a bit more about your situation. A newly sprouted seed has only one root and already it is out the bottom of the pot. Break that root at this early stage and the plant might not live.

Very rarely will a tap root coming out the bottom of a pot of soil start to send out side roots unless the area under the pot stays very moist. Instead the root tends to dry out and die back.
Sorry for not giving all the details it’s photo strawberry og cookies. I was concerned with the pot not being filled with roots. I havnt had roots coming out this early so just wanted to know everybody opinion

Sorry for not giving all the details it’s photo strawberry og cookies. I was concerned with the pot not being filled with roots. I havnt had roots coming out this early so just wanted to know everybody opinion
Also I do have the little pot ontop of 7 gal pot with soil in it. Is that why the roots came out so quick?

The only justification for uppotting is when the soil can't hold enough water to keep the plant going for more than a day or so. Until a plant can drain its container of all the water it can hold, in 24-36 hours, it is not time to transplant, that is, if you want to develop the best root system that you are able to. Transplanting early will produce a weak plant. Roots coming out of the bottom as a signal is simply a bro-science idea. As mentioned, this could happen in 3 days.

The only justification for uppotting is when the soil can't hold enough water to keep the plant going for more than a day or so. Until a plant can drain its container of all the water it can hold, in 24-36 hours, it is not time to transplant, that is, if you want to develop the best root system that you are able to. Transplanting early will produce a weak plant. Roots coming out of the bottom as a signal is simply a bro-science idea. As mentioned, this could happen in 3 days.
But the grower has the tap root through the bottom drain hole within 3 days of germination.

No biggie... chop it off
That is the first job of the tap root.. to find the bottom and set its boundaries. If you chop it off the root will branch and all will be ok.
Thanks all I needed to know I will cut it as soon as I get home from work.

Thanks all I needed to know I will cut it as soon as I get home from work.
it wont survive well out in the air anyway. You might want to put a saucer under the smaller cup so that the roots don't try to follow the water down into the soil in the larger container. I strongly suggest another stage before going into that large 7g container too, or you are going to lose control over your watering and the development of a solid rootball. Either a 1 gal or a 3 gallon give you a good springboard into a large container.... unless this is an auto; and then I understand your need to hurry.

it wont survive well out in the air anyway. You might want to put a saucer under the smaller cup so that the roots don't try to follow the water down into the soil in the larger container. I strongly suggest another stage before going into that large 7g container too, or you are going to lose control over your watering and the development of a solid rootball. Either a 1 gal or a 3 gallon give you a good springboard into a large container.... unless this is an auto; and then I understand your need to hurry.
gotcha I was planning on a 1 gal then 3 gal then into 7 and maybe 20 or 25 gal final pot. I will definitely put something under the babies so the roots don’t go into bigger pot. Thank you for your input.

No biggie... chop it off
That is the first job of the tap root.. to find the bottom and set its boundaries. If you chop it off the root will branch and all will be ok.
Yes, it will branch off as long as there is enough of a stub left with hair roots. In my mind I am picturing a nice thick tap root looking root, something like what we see in a handful of bean sprouts, coming through the drain hole. In 3 day I do not picture one of the long thread looking roots.

Yes, it will branch off as long as there is enough of a stub left with hair roots. In my mind I am picturing a nice thick tap root looking root, something like what we see in a handful of bean sprouts, coming through the drain hole. In 3 day I do not picture one of the long thread looking roots
I will post pic when I get home

That's a fast root... I think you've got a couple options: 1) keep a saucer under the 2" pot so the root will stay wet and let the plant develop more, 2) transplant now to a 1 gal. pot. I would probably opt for (2) – carefully up pot. I always use 1 gal. before going to my final pot size which is 15 gal., fabric smart pots.

Back
Top Bottom