Rust spots on leaves of all aged leaves

Frosty55

420 Member
I have started to have an issue with rust spots on alot of leaves I am using only Happy Frog soil and have had good growth as of just getting discoloration that doesn't look like calcium nor magnesium deficiency nether nutrient burn as the small mutated tri-leaf set has polka dots.

IMG_20230914_211700710_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230915_153034868.jpg

Your plants are looking nice, pretty decent as it is. I do not see any extreme signs of discoloration or a lot of rust colored spots.

I am using only Happy Frog soil
Fox Farm uses aged forest products (a type of compost), earthworm castings, some bat guano, and some microbes for the Happy Frog. They recommend on the website that the grower should add fertilizers during a plants grow and flower stage.

Your plants are looking nice, pretty decent as it is. I do not see any extreme signs of discoloration or a lot of rust colored spots.

Fox Farm uses aged forest products (a type of compost), earthworm castings, some bat guano, and some microbes for the Happy Frog. They recommend on the website that the grower should add fertilizers during a plants grow and flower stage.
Thank you for the fast reply as well as with a bit of info. So I do have a question on what would be the recommended fertilizer for the plant we've all grown to love? I had seen some growers on YouTube that start out and say it takes about a month for nutrients to be used up with just Happy Frog so I really wanted to wait for a sign that she needs something else but with rust color it just scares me and this is my first grow and am going to try to get a grow bible but I just feel it could be better explained on this world of fine people.

I have two available to me rn and that would be Fox Farms BIG BLOOM and SENSI CAL MAG Xtra.

16948851532094645977674269453360.jpg

16948851825886250336754214211305.jpg

16948851935662275613502986547637.jpg

You need a full process Nute Regime, not just a bloom or calmag

So u will need to find something else.
Foxfarm has a 3 part system, not a big fan of it, but it's ok

Find someone, using same medium as you and copy their process

Good luck

I wanted to ask earlier and forgot. Is the top photo showing one plant? Or is it 3 plants in the one pot? Or, is it the mutated tri-leaf set that has polka dots that you mention?

Both of the fertilizers you have in the photos can be used.

The Fox Farm Big Bloom is supplying micro-organisms found in the worm castings that will work on extracting the minerals and nutrients from the soil. It also supplies a very small amount of Phosphorous and Potassium. Keep in mind that as the plant gets larger you will have to move on to a more balanced fertilizer that can supply all 3 macro nutrients.

If you use the Sensi Cal it will supply enough Nitrogen for now.

Time to consider transplanting. Both are ready for the next size up. Transplant the top one to a larger pot and then the bottom one can go from those Solo cups into the now empty pot.

You need a full process Nute Regime, not just a bloom or calmag

So u will need to find something else.
Foxfarm has a 3 part system, not a big fan of it, but it's ok

Find someone, using same medium as you and copy their process

Good luck
I honestly thought that as I looked at the npk of both products are fairly low but thank you for letting me know it doesn't suffice for this both of the grow. I will start doing research on possible likewise growers.

I wanted to ask earlier and forgot. Is the top photo showing one plant? Or is it 3 plants in the one pot? Or, is it the mutated tri-leaf set that has polka dots that you mention?

Both of the fertilizers you have in the photos can be used.

The Fox Farm Big Bloom is supplying micro-organisms found in the worm castings that will work on extracting the minerals and nutrients from the soil. It also supplies a very small amount of Phosphorous and Potassium. Keep in mind that as the plant gets larger you will have to move on to a more balanced fertilizer that can supply all 3 macro nutrients.

If you use the Sensi Cal it will supply enough Nitrogen for now.

Time to consider transplanting. Both are ready for the next size up. Transplant the top one to a larger pot and then the bottom one can go from those Solo cups into the now empty pot.
The top is just one plant as it was topped abit early so I am under assumption that she's done what she needs to do but she was in a small container abit bigger than the cup and I just put it in the larger pot. I have 3 gallon pots that I'd like to use for both and I just transplanted the mutated tri-leaf plant and honestly I was wondering about both bc it started about the same time so i had seen about rust fungus but with everything I thought it might be a deficiency of some sort that looked out of place.

16949610345442770249267240813977.jpg

16949610522168287451958252430562.jpg

I honestly thought that as I looked at the npk of both products are fairly low...
At this stage of the vegetating cycle the fertilizers are OK. It will be later as the plants get much larger that the levels of the nutrients have to go up.

I will start doing research on possible likewise growers.
There is nothing wrong with the basic Fox Farm trio. Many growers have had excellent results using them when the dosage and schedule from Fox Farm is followed. They run into problems when the plants start to enter their active flower stage.

Often the problems are traced back to when the grower decides to reduce the dose to 1/2 of the recommended amount and will continue this low dose into flower. Then we see premature yellowing of leaves and slower flower bud growth.

If you want to continue with the Fox Farm fertilizers it is best to buy the other two that go with the Big Bloom and then follow the latest schedule from the folks at Fox Farm. The amounts on the back of the bottle are just for people who will only be using that one product. If using two or all three then download the schedule and follow it since it will change week by week.

The latest schedule is on the companies web site or you can call the company and ask them to send the paper copy which is sometimes a lot more convenient to have around instead of having to look at a computer or look at a phone.

I am going to get the other two Fox Farms nutrient mixes and start the schedule. Both have perked up but still oranging of leaves. The first picture I will show the discoloration of leaves and the following will be stem. For both.

16950570002262278756174460386831.jpg

169505702039587984263411020105.jpg

16950570544816614608894606156074.jpg

16950571085864805244221238071959.jpg

16950571472734058307340077816083.jpg

I started with the trio and started adding other nutes along the way. Here's my feeding schedule:

Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 10.49.44 AM.png
Thank you for the schedule I will print it out. Is there any nutes that weren't listed for FF that were called for like discoloration early on. Honestly I'm just starting out so any info on what might have had the best result for you.

At this stage of the vegetating cycle the fertilizers are OK. It will be later as the plants get much larger that the levels of the nutrients have to go up.

There is nothing wrong with the basic Fox Farm trio. Many growers have had excellent results using them when the dosage and schedule from Fox Farm is followed. They run into problems when the plants start to enter their active flower stage.

Often the problems are traced back to when the grower decides to reduce the dose to 1/2 of the recommended amount and will continue this low dose into flower. Then we see premature yellowing of leaves and slower flower bud growth.

If you want to continue with the Fox Farm fertilizers it is best to buy the other two that go with the Big Bloom and then follow the latest schedule from the folks at Fox Farm. The amounts on the back of the bottle are just for people who will only be using that one product. If using two or all three then download the schedule and follow it since it will change week by week.

The latest schedule is on the companies web site or you can call the company and ask them to send the paper copy which is sometimes a lot more convenient to have around instead of having to look at a computer or look at a phone.
Thank you, I will be going on their website to furthermore look at scheduling. I'm doing my best not to burn the babies. Honestly I'm curious if you might think something is going on bc even after defoliation of leaves looking volatile compared to normal deficiencies. I mean I'm keeping the rouge leaves for future reference but obviously away from the grow.

1695057624643915865417269578180.jpg

After trimming away the orange after thinking it might be rust fungus with the following I did a hydrogen peroxide drench at a low dilution. It picked back up

16950577575742790343687793104864.jpg

as mentioned they look a little over watered. have a quick read through this

i'd also get the basic nutes sorted now. it's surprising how fast stuff will fail, once you see trouble you might not be able to wait til they get delivered.

So I believe my next question would be the volume at which I'm watering‽ like after a dry spell what would I do possibly to determine the right dampness without runoff?

like after a dry spell what would I do possibly to determine the right dampness without runoff?
If the soil gets dry it is usually a simple matter of slowly giving water until a small amount flows out the holes on the bottom of the pot.

But, if the soil gets too dry then even a small amount of water will run off the surface. When soil gets too dry it is a case where it has become hydrophobic and then it means a small amount of water, waiting 15 to 30 minutes and another small dose and so on and so on. Eventually the soil has soaked up water and everything is back to normal. Try to avoid letting the soil get too dry.

Letting it get a little bit dry is OK and sometimes good, but too much of a good thing is almost always a bad thing. Then when the plants are entering into a full flowering stage avoid any excessive dry stages.

Back
Top Bottom