ScrogOrDie's 2400W THC Snow, AK-47 & Caramelicious Journal

ScrogOrDie

Seed Bank: Marijuana Seeds NL

Strains: 17 x THC Snow (THC Bomb x White Russian x Big Bud), 17 x AK-47 (Colombian x Mexican x Thai x Afghani), 2 x Caramelicious (Maple Leaf x Afghan Kush)

THC Content: THC Snow: 20—28%, AK-47: 15—20%, Caramelicious: 17—20%

Veg Time: 5 weeks

Flower Time: 8—10 weeks

Growing Method: FIM, ScrOG

Light: 1—2 x 600W MH (36—24"), 4 x 600W HPS (24—18")

Growing Medium: 4" rockwool cubes, rockwool slabs

Nutrients: Ionic Hydro Grow and Bloom, Plant Magic Magne-Cal +, General Hydroponics BioRoot Plus

Watering: EC: 0.8—1.8, pH: 5.7—5.9, runoff: 10—20%

Temperature: 25C—28C

Humidity: 50%

Any comments or questions welcomed. :grinjoint:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

It's getting pretty crowded in there--the fan leaves are starting to block a lot of the lower bud sites--so I'm going to spread them out under two 600W metal halides soon. Due to the FIMing, the lower bud sites have exploded in growth, and are starting to grow up towards the tops of the plants. I won't FIM again before flower, as I find FIMing once is enough to get the lateral branching I need to fill out the ScrOG before flipping.
1.jpg
2.jpg

The AK-47s (on the left) have taken really well to the FIMing; the THC Snow (on the right) aren't very branchy, so I had to top a couple of the taller plants to stop them from growing too tall. They're all really healthy bar a few of them which had spotting on some of their leaves due to a pH swing--I was in a rush to water them, and forgot to pH the nutrient solution (facepalm). I'm in week 5 of veg now, so, at some point this week, I'm going to spread them into the second half of the tent, install a screen, and train them into it a little before flower. Hopefully, from the way they're looking, I'll pull at least 3-4 ounces per AK-47 and maybe a little less per THC Snow. I'm not too concerned about the Caramelicious, as I just threw them in for fun.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Perfectionism can be both a blessing and a curse... looks like it's working in your favor here!! Very nice!!

I haven't seen this large of plants still only in rock wool. How do 4" cubes support the plants this well? I guess I don't get it... which is no big surprise as I'm a newbie to growing cannabis.

Do you at some point plant in soil? Hydro? How do you water them? Flood the pan?

I'll be watching with great interest! Thanks for sharing your grow!!

Thanks! Ha, how did you know I'm a perfectionist? (It bordered on OCD at one time.)

Believe it or not, many plants only need a 4" root zone. The fundamental idea behind hydro is to have a small root zone, but larger plants/yields due to more frequent watering. Ordinarily, I use 6" Hugo cubes from start to finish, but I thought it'd be interesting to do a run in 4" cubes. I'm already having to water more frequently--partly due to the weather being warmer right now which leads to plants increasing their water intake/the cubes drying out quicker.

Usually, I use a top-fed drain to waste system, but I couldn't be bothered to set it up this time. Until the plants go under the screen, I've been hand-watering them in the bathtub. Once the screen's in, I'll sit them on plastic plates, so I can water them inside the tent, and tip the waste from the plates into a bucket or something.

What have you tried growing in? I love rockwool, but it can be a little finicky for new growers. You have to make sure your pH is always spot on.

Thanks! Ha, how did you know I'm a perfectionist? (It bordered on OCD at one time.)

Believe it or not, many plants only need a 4" root zone. The fundamental idea behind hydro is to have a small root zone, but larger plants/yields due to more frequent watering. Ordinarily, I use 6" Hugo cubes from start to finish, but I thought it'd be interesting to do a run in 4" cubes. I'm already having to water more frequently--partly due to the weather being warmer right now which leads to plants increasing their water intake/the cubes drying out quicker.

Usually, I use a top-fed drain to waste system, but I couldn't be bothered to set it up this time. Until the plants go under the screen, I've been hand-watering them in the bathtub. Once the screen's in, I'll sit them on plastic plates, so I can water them inside the tent, and tip the waste from the plates into a bucket or something.

What have you tried growing in? I love rockwool, but it can be a little finicky for new growers. You have to make sure your pH is always spot on.

I'm on my first grow and it's in soil. I'm considering going with Docs high brix once I have several harvests under my belt. I'm growing for oil for myself, family, and friends with a variety of ailments and diseases, so want to go as organic as possible.

My own perfectionism has me consumed with training for that table top canopy. I intended to have my first grow be a scrog, but removed my nets because I couldn't deal with the idea of not being able to pull the girls out and fondle them. I mean an orgy is great, but I do enjoy that one on one play time!!

Appears my focus is exactly opposite of yours. I currently am using 7 and 10 gallon pots and will likely go a bit larger in the future. My thinking on that is that providing more space for a larger root zone will support larger yields from larger and stronger plants. I drill holes around the rim of the pots and use coated wire thru those holes to tie down and adjust the branches to achieve a perfectly even canopy throughout the grow. I'll have to see what happens as they finish, but it appears that by using powerful oscillating fans they have developed branches strong enough to carry the weight, eliminating the need for a screen or net. I like the flexibility of being able to rotate plants for even light and pulling them for training, defoliation, checking for mildew and pests, foliar spraying individually plants based on individual need, and so on.

I've always been addicted to the satisfaction I get from what I do with my hands. I could never be a plug and grow hands off grower. And I'm absolutely in love with my new hobby. I've found that my plants reward me for everything I do for them. I'm amazed by them.

I do think I may have gone overboard on defoliation, but they were in veg for 13 weeks so I'd have had a jungle without it. Again, I'll have to see the finish but so far all 70 or so colas are very close in size, crazy frosty, and fattening nicely so I'm excited about my oil yield.

I like what you're doing too. Seems a very simple way to grow hydro. I'll be watching and may consider adding your rock wool method and do a separate SOG grow for bag weed.

Thanks! Randy

I mean, an orgy is great, but I do enjoy that one-on-one play time!

:laughtwo:

I'm sorry to hear you and/or your family members are suffering from health conditions. I'd love to try to make oil. How do you make it?

In my experience, you only need a large root zone like that, if you're growing outdoors, or you have high enough ceilings to grow monsters which it seems like you are, ha! I don't veg plants for longer than 5 weeks, so I'm not growing half-pound plants. I used to grow with mini rockwool cubes in 12-15 litre fabric pots, but it means you water less frequently which I've found lowers my yields (though, not by much), and it's easier to overwater/get root rot. I do miss being able to low stress train like you're doing, as it's fun, but you get roughly the same results from a ScrOG. I've already learnt my lesson using 4" cubes this run, haha; I'm having to constantly keep my eyes on them, so they don't dry out!

I hope your run goes well! I'll be keeping an eye on it! :winkyface:

Back
Top Bottom