Seeds showing no signs of life, help, advice and much love! - OG Kush 5 seeds

420Steve

Hello 420 growers,

This wouldnt be my first time germinating seeds, my first time was great back in February this year, however i recently purchased 5 OG Kush seeds from a seed bank and thought it would be smart to try the water cup method to try and improve my chances of a successful germination, so 2 days have past and not one seed has popped, so then i took them out of the water gently and now using the wet paper towel method anyother 2 days have past and there is no sign of life still.

I check on them atleast once a day just to see if the seeds have popped, the paper towel is not soaking wet but just damp wet and in complete darkness with the heat comming from my router(so perfect conditions) also with RO water and about 10% tap water.

When using the water cup method was about 60% RO water and 40% tap water at room temperture, also clean filmed the top of the glass and put in a dark place for the 2 days, 3 seeds sank to the bottom of the glass while the other 3 sat on the surface but after 2 days they were all at the bottom of the glass.

This is all the information i can give at the moment im not sure if i have missed anything but any advice or solutions would be greatly appricated and taken seriously, please ask if you need to know any more information,

Thank you 420 Family,

420 Steve

Huh. I have never used the cup of water method, but I imagine that you would want to take the seed out after about 24 hours or maybe it could drown? I'm not positive if you could drown a seed by leaving it under water for only two days, but it certainly seems like you would have seen a sprout or two by now. It's still the early stages though. Maybe these seeds take longer to germinate than others or need different conditions. Who knows. So I would wait a few more days with them in the moist paper towel. If they haven't shown anything by day 7, then I would email the breeder and let them know what happened. Tell them how you did it, and ask them what (if anything) you did wrong. Coming to them with humility will help you out a little, as opposed to sending a "what the hell is wrong with your stupid seeds!" email. They may even send you a new batch of seeds.

Update: Still no sign of life all 5 seeds are still in there shells, i have contacted the seed supplier and they have resent 5 more our free of charge (which is great news), i think to avoid this problem happening again just incase i did kill them with the water cup method i will only use the fool proof "wet paper towel" method from now on :)

I use the cup of water method and get 100% germination every time. I put the seeds in a shot glass and cover that shot glass with a bigger dark cup to have it in complete darkness. Let it soak for 24 hrs, they should be at the bottom. if not then tap it once it should drop. when it does plant them in your cube or into a medium if your going right to that. If you have a humidity dome use it...you need temps around 84 and RH around 65%. it may take 2 days to make its way to the surface....waaaaaalaaaa! Germination complete. good luck brother!

As I understand it, the seed starts to come to life, swells inside from the water, and that cracks the seed along the seam. Then it gets saturated and sinks. If they all sank, I would guess they were all viable. Keep the towel moist. I have put it in a baggie, i have put it under a coffee cup. I would not give up yet, they could be slow. Perhaps try planting one in dirt today, see if it works...

When I grow from seed, I prefer to soak them for about 12 hours in plain tap water. Then they go directly into soil. Light, moving and handling germinated seeds doesn't do them any good, IMO. If you begin with viable seeds, this works virtually 100% of the time.

I do much the same, but put mine in the paper towels with the towels nice and wet, then into a plastic bag that is not closed all the way and put into a warm dark place for 12 hours . Then I plant them 1cm into some moist soil in a 16oz solo cup with holes at the bottom and lightly cover the seed, I do not press the soil over the seed. I then put a sandwich baggie over the top so the soil will remain moist but not too wet, I dont want to have to add water to the soil until the first leaves pop out of the surface. When the leaves pop out of the soil I remove the plastic bag.

I know a lot of people like to see the roots sprout in paper towels but I try and avoid this. The root should be able to go directly into the soil and move down, a rule of thumb for me is that I don't want a root to have to turn before it goes at least six inches. I remember reading long ago that roots that turn may cause stress and the plant may turn hermie or male. If you think about it, it makes sense. A seed in nice deep soil will have the water and nutrients to bear fruit and seed in nature, while a seed in shallow poor soil is better off trying to spread pollen before it dies or dries out. I can't remember the particular article. Has anyone else also heard of this?

I have also noticed that if a root must turn before going down, the seedling is less stable, the angled part of the root acts as a pivot point for the plant to flop over to the side. This time germinating 26 seeds I had a 100% success rate and the seedlings are nice and strong.

Back
Top Bottom