Seeds won't germinate

fatbuds420

I put 2 seeds i got from an hermied plant, they are good seeds, 5 of them worked the month before, i use the wet paper towel method, and they still didnt and after 3 days, why? They are only a month old, and stored right

Not all seeds are viable. Could have a couple duds.
With that being said... You say you had no issues with these seeds last time you popped some? well was that during the hotter months of the summer? I'm just curious because depending on where you are located geographically the difference between success, and failure could reside within a temperature difference.
Seeds like it real warm for sprouting. That's why the refrigerator is a great storage location due to the temperature being the opposite of what seeds like to germinate.
Being quite chilly lately here on the east coast of Canada I had to dig out my heat mat for my humidity dome. I finished soaking some new genetics and placed them into Jiffy pucks inside a humidity dome, on top of a heat mat just for this very thing. I checked on them this morning and two are up. To feel the bottom of the dome one would think they are too hot but they seem to like it.
Just food for thought.

Put seeds into room temp RO water with a little Aloe Vera mixed in for 12 to 18 hours.
Moisten a paper towel with the same aloe vera water and put seed in towel, fold it over and place into a plastic bag and put that in a warm place that's about 80 degrees. I use either my router or my old laptop.
If the seeds are viable they will pop within 24 hours.

Not all seeds are viable. Could have a couple duds.
With that being said... You say you had no issues with these seeds last time you popped some? well was that during the hotter months of the summer? I'm just curious because depending on where you are located geographically the difference between success, and failure could reside within a temperature difference.
Seeds like it real warm for sprouting. That's why the refrigerator is a great storage location due to the temperature being the opposite of what seeds like to germinate.
Being quite chilly lately here on the east coast of Canada I had to dig out my heat mat for my humidity dome. I finished soaking some new genetics and placed them into Jiffy pucks inside a humidity dome, on top of a heat mat just for this very thing. I checked on them this morning and two are up. To feel the bottom of the dome one would think they are too hot but they seem to like it.
Just food for thought.
Had no issues last time, same temp... constant 22 degrees rn

Put seeds into room temp RO water with a little Aloe Vera mixed in for 12 to 18 hours.
Moisten a paper towel with the same aloe vera water and put seed in towel, fold it over and place into a plastic bag and put that in a warm place that's about 80 degrees. I use either my router or my old laptop.
If the seeds are viable they will pop within 24 hours.
I see, why aloe very tho?

I just soak seeds in water with a dash of h2o2 and wait for tails then into a peat pellet with a dome and on a warm mat (not too warm).. after 1st set ot TRUE leaves then into soil.

I dont use paper towels - most of them are treated with anti-fungal crap and other chemicals that are bad for sprouting seeds.

I don't know where that seed sprouting in paper towels thing came from. Its been a thing for FAR too long imho.

I just soak seeds in water with a dash of h2o2 and wait for tails then into a peat pellet with a dome and on a warm mat (not too warm).. after 1st set ot TRUE leaves then into soil.

I dont use paper towels - most of them are treated with anti-fungal crap and other chemicals that are bad for sprouting seeds.

I don't know where that seed sprouting in paper towels thing came from. Its been a thing for FAR too long imho.
Paper towel method always worked for me tho...

After numerous attempts doing different things.... Paper towel method has worked 99% of the time for me as well.
What is the purpose of Aloe Vera in the water though? I see no reason for it unless it helps soften the seed a bit. I put my seeds in a glass of water for 24 hrs before the paper towel for this reason.

After numerous attempts doing different things.... Paper towel method has worked 99% of the time for me as well.
What is the purpose of Aloe Vera in the water though? I see no reason for it unless it helps soften the seed a bit. I put my seeds in a glass of water for 24 hrs before the paper towel for this reason.
Idk, should i keep waiting? Or should try with new seeds?

Scarification, may help.
I did that with the ones that took two weeks to pop. I knew they were 5 to 7 yrs old (they were gifted to me) so I scarred them before the soak. When I tried popping some of the same seeds a few months ago without scarring them, they sat there doing absolutely nothing until they molded over at 4 1/2 weeks. It really seems to be an effective technique. I'll do it with older seeds for now on.

Back
Top Bottom