Seraphim's Coco-Hempy Bubba-Cheese & Blue Widow LED Grow Journal 2014

re: Seraphim's Coco-Hempy Bubba-Cheese & Blue Widow LED Grow Journal 2014

Looking good Ser! I agree with Shotta on each count. Plants look very healthy and heat in flower could be an issue. No surprises though and THAT is part of the fun of an experiment. Rock on bro!

Thank you shottafire!! I do appreciate your overseeing things from a distance. I can use the help!

Just to be clear, only the automatic is in the hot box, the regular clones (blue widow and bubba-cheese) are in the main tent where the temps remain in the seventies and air flow is plentiful. They are in flowering too.

Looking good seraphim. Really lush and green. The hotbox experiment is pretty cool.

The one area I see that might become an issue is heat in flower. This heat will make the plants a bit more spindly and not as thick when it comes to bud setting.. It will still grow dank just reduced yields is all. The co2 will help the plant along thru the heat.

Regardless I will be watching and trying to help when I can.

Thanks Gov!

If I had my way I would spend all my time doing experiments and side by side myth-busting, 420 edition.

Looking good Ser! I agree with Shotta on each count. Plants look very healthy and heat in flower could be an issue. No surprises though and THAT is part of the fun of an experiment. Rock on bro!

Thank you shottafire!! I do appreciate your overseeing things from a distance. I can use the help!

Just to be clear, only the automatic is in the hot box, the regular clones (blue widow and bubba-cheese) are in the main tent where the temps remain in the seventies and air flow is plentiful. They are in flowering too.

Thanks for clearing that up. Looking forward to it.

Hello and thank you NOCO Farmer! Always great to meet another Colorado grower.

I actually switched nutes early to A/N. I think Canna is good but A/N has my full confidence already and Canna I have not tried although all I hear are good things about it. With A/N I never have to add anything, not even cal-mag.

Subbed, late but here.

P.S. I am also growing in coco with Canna Coco Nutrients.

I will say that canna coco a and b are really good base nutrients for coco! There other products are good too. Mainly there rhizotonic and there cannazyme.

The whole reason i switched to Coco was because i seen a buddy of mine switch and his nugs were twice as dense and bigger than before. 2nd Reason was it is so simple, A&B through Veg and Flower. No need for veg nutes and flower nutes. But of course there are still Additives. 3rd reason, everyone only has good things to say about this nute line. Convinced me. Next grow who knows what i will try!!!

Hot Box Update - Day 2

Well, it seems clear to me that with enough CO2, temps in the low 90's are just fine, at least for this plant. The thermometer read 93.6*F at the highest point today. No issues at all. She looks just as happy as ever.

I think I am confidently satisfied that CO2 with high temps in the low 90's during veg. is not a problem. I know it has only been two days, but if she was going to fall over and die from heat stress it would have happened by now. The fact she shows no sign of stress after the last two days to me is a success.

I don't expect anything different going forward. I do not however want airy buds and if I am going to get some from her I want them to be good. So, I am calling this experiment over at this point.

I will turn the CO2 back on when I have new plants in veg which will remain in veg for a while.

Now back to our regularly scheduled grow journal.

The ladies in the main tent look great. Going into 12 hour night number three.

I think I am confidently satisfied that CO2 with high temps in the low 90's during veg. is not a problem. I know it has only been two days, but if she was going to fall over and die from heat stress it would have happened by now. The fact she shows no sign of stress after the last two days to me is a success.

Great - Glad you have experimental satisfaction! Nice education :Namaste:

Now back to our regularly scheduled grow journal.

The ladies in the main tent look great. Going into 12 hour night number three.

Ahem: Photos please! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Ahem: Photos please! :cheesygrinsmiley:

But of course! Happy to oblige sir! :ganjamon:

Looking at them now it's difficult to picture them as they started. Two little clones, one so skinny and delicate I had my doubts if she'd even make it. Today, their main stems are difficult to measure as they are not straight but they range between 17 and 20 inches or so in length. Side branches on the Blue Widow are all now playing the role of main colas and there are 7 main ones and several lesser ones. This is what I was going for with the LST. Bubba-Cheese's main stem has retained dominance and is higher now than any of the branches. Incidentally, this is NOT what I was going for but I did lessen the overall height of the plant and exposed the side branches to more growth. Since we are already entering flowering, I will not do any further training of any type.

Today we will do a look at 4 weeks back when these 2 clones first started with me compared to how they are today. Lets take a look ......

Here is Baby Blue Widow clone the day I brought her and her counterpart home in little tiny square pots barely bigger than the rockwool cube they were rooted in.
IMG_069321.JPG

Here she is today (I turned the electric to the tent off for a sec to take pictures that were not pink)

IMG_135015.JPG

IMG_135317.JPG

IMG_135414.JPG

Here is delicate and slow growing Bubba-Cheese the day she came home.

IMG_069427.JPG

Here she is today 3 days into flower.

IMG_135116.JPG

IMG_135517.JPG

Remarkable before and after shots here! Very well done. That's just what I was after thanks! :cheesygrinsmiley:
That White Widow looks really similar to what I've got, but I have no idea what I'm growing. I like the indicas, but want to try my hand at something stavia if the autogrow would keep it shorter for me. Your Bubba Cheese - I can't tell from looking - stavia dominant? That was my guess but have no clue...

Thank you Catman12. Its actually a Blue Widow (Blueberry X White Widow) and it leans Indica.

Yes, the Bubba-Cheese is very sativa dominant which is good to balance out her Indica heavy counterpart. Although, given all I have seen from her I don't expect much in way of yield. This is what I would call a bit of a temperamental sativa. The last sativa I grew before this one was Barneys Farm G13-Haze and that plant took to training very well, this one on the other hand does not like training and wants to do its thing.

Remarkable before and after shots here! Very well done. That's just what I was after thanks! :cheesygrinsmiley:
That White Widow looks really similar to what I've got, but I have no idea what I'm growing. I like the indicas, but want to try my hand at something stavia if the autogrow would keep it shorter for me. Your Bubba Cheese - I can't tell from looking - stavia dominant? That was my guess but have no clue...

I threw the veg LED between the two full spectrum LEDs in the flowering tent today. Since the lamps are not too heavy compared to HID, I can easily move them around.

The pictures do not do justice to how bright it is in there now with 531 watts out of the wall of LED power gently showering life on them.

IMG_136518.JPG

IMG_136617.JPG

At night when the lights go off, I move the automatic onto the veg tent with just the veg lamp for a few more hours before calling it a night. This way the auto gets 16 hours of light per day.

Thanks Catman12!

Yeah that little auto is getting pampered just like the rest of them. She's doing great! The description from the breeder states 8.5 weeks from germination. That puts the general target harvest date at about Oct 1st or so depending on when she's ready.

By the way, the seed for the next lady in line went into moist coco tonight. :cheesygrinsmiley: Hoping she breaks ground by Monday! Fingers crossed. (insert suspense music here) ....

I wanted to let some time pass so that there would be some changes to talk about but at the same time I don't want to let this journal fall too far behind. So here is a quick update and some pictures.

Thus far everyone is doing very well. We are 11 days into flowering so barely the start of flowering action is visible right now.

Here is Blue Widow. She has performed thus far flawlessly and has been a real pleasure to grow.

IMG_147714.JPG

IMG_148018.JPG

IMG_148115.JPG

IMG_149621.JPG

I have to say I am impressed with the resiliency displayed by Blue Widow. Nothing seems to bother her. Hot nutes, no problem, flush, no problem; she never seems to show any signs of anything but thriving. When I take them all to the main bathroom for watering my girlfriend comments on blue widow's ridiculously rich green color all the time. Her beautifully textured leaves are always 'up' never down. It's like she's always smiling. This plant is bullet-proof. I love it!

---------

Here is Bubba Cheese.

IMG_147918.JPG

IMG_149523.JPG

I am not inclined to grow this strain again. Slow growing, slender plant with very little, yet unusual foliage; many leaves are three blades instead of at least five. If anything it leans sativa but I have grown other sativas that behave much better than this in general. It's just an un-usual plant which does not reward much along the way of growing satisfaction in my opinion. Note that I have not been able to find anything online about this train. I know that there is an autoflower bubba cheese for sale on the online seed banks but this one I have is not an auto, it is photo-period flowering plant. Let's see how the smoke turns out.

--------

Here is Auto Dark Devil.

IMG_1492_1_.JPG

IMG_148519.JPG

Besides her mild mutantism(?), a very pretty plant to look at. Nothing too odd, just an 11 blade leaf here and self-topping branch there. All around has been a great little plant to grow and she is a few days ahead in terms of flowering than the others.

And yes, there has been an addition to the family which I will not mention too much about now.

IMG_149420.JPG

There will be a separate journal started about that grow in due time. Right now she is just a baby but I hope to introduce her to the community when she's a little older. For now I will share with you that she has been planted in a smart-hempy with what I feel is a better ratio of coco/perlite and I expect very good performance (better than regular hempy) from this untested (by me) planter format. I say "by me" because I don't know if someone else had the same idea and tested it elsewhere here under another name.

Thanks for stopping by!

Always love your updates Seraphim, details and photos are always good! I appreciate the strain review. Welcome to the newcomer - I'll follow along when your next journal is up and running :)

Hazel has indeed proved to be male so his run is at an end. Next grow for me is pure auto - we'll see what happens next!

:Namaste:

Nice update you got a lot of power with the LEDs happening :D
The flowering initiation looks great if its only 11 days. Next week you will be a happy man when the ladies show their true form :D

Thank you Catman12!

We knew that was coming about Hazel. But it was a learning experience non the less.

I will be tagging along your new grow as well my friend!

Always love your updates Seraphim, details and photos are always good! I appreciate the strain review. Welcome to the newcomer - I'll follow along when your next journal is up and running :)

Hazel has indeed proved to be male so his run is at an end. Next grow for me is pure auto - we'll see what happens next!

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom