SeymoreNugget's DIY talk - Building lights - Sharing ideas

My very first DIY COB fixture

Jimmy:

Mount these on your heat sink and put them in series with your cobs to prevent overheating. KSD301 Thermostat Normal Close NC.
Great idea. Thanks. I have a shitty mini digital thermal probe that (sort of) fits in the hole of the heatsink where you run the wire. I was gonna mount that on one of them to monitor the temp but this is a way better idea. Do you think I'll need them with the 136mmx80mm fin pins I'm using? The sinks are rated for 85w passively and the array sits directly below the carbon filter. Probably pulling 120/cfm on low. 180cfm on high.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Jimmy:

Mount these on your heat sink and put them in series with your cobs to prevent overheating. KSD301 Thermostat Normal Close NC.
Could i just put them on afterwards by putting all 8 in series at one end of the string? I would say when the actual heatsink is at 90 degree celcius the COBs case amd junction temps are already on the way to the 150. So i guess i will use one of them around that temperature. For now i m touching the heatsinks at full blast without them getting warm. Or what temps you would suggest for that therostats?

Great idea. Thanks. I have a shitty mini digital thermal probe that (sort of) fits in the hole of the heatsink where you run the wire. I was gonna mount that on one of them to monitor the temp but this is a way better idea. Do you think I'll need them with the 136mmx80mm fin pins I'm using? The sinks are rated for 85w passively and the array sits directly below the carbon filter. Probably pulling 120/cfm on low. 180cfm on high.

Ps these come in different temperature ranges be sure to get ones that work for your cobs specs.

Could i just put them on afterwards by putting all 8 in series at one end of the string? I would say when the actual heatsink is at 90 degree celcius the COBs case amd junction temps are already on the way to the 150. So i guess i will use one of them around that temperature. For now i m touching the heatsinks at full blast without them getting warm. Or what temps you would suggest for that therostats?

I will look at mine later to verify but I think I went with 70°C.

Needs testing dr jimmy. If youre sinks dont get uncomfortable warm even when you rise the ambient temps to utopian level never occuring at your home i would say you dont need them.

I see it as an insurance for small active coolers.

My smallest max junction temperature is 125, the highest 140 or 150... I guess 70 c is a good point. If its already that hot i really has some problems

Yea i remember this picture, wouldnt wanna use these on a good hundred bucks of chips either. But i guess if you run some 1212s under 40W on them and double check your soldering on the fans they will be great.

At what distance from are you using youre app? If i put my sensor om the surface of a cheap household led that is 3 years old i get 45k lux lol.

We will see what itll do. But for now i am at worl for another 10 hours. Grum

Ironically, these are the heatsinks rated for the Vero 29 running at spec. With fans of course.

I use the app at about a foot. It calculates reflective light off the canopy.

Ok. My app is different. It uses the lighting sensor that regulates your autobrightness on the Display side of the mobile. I guess these sensors are pretty good in newer phones. Heck my S7 evem has a barometer thats showing some rises after putting the Phone in some diy pressure chamber lol. Crazy phones :)

420-magazine-mobile21352789.jpg

Jup Samsung S7. Just called Luxmeter.

Hey man o green. So lets say the circuit breaks when 70c is measured. What happens next? Does it start again when its lowering to a point? If yes, in what window these open and close? But i guess since its just a 'closer' you need to open it manually?

But wouldnt do good if youre out of the house for some days and the lights would go on and off every couple of minutes when i think about it. So its just to prevent cob damage and thats it. Maybe add that to the automated fire extinguisher system i saw on youtube a few month back :)

And thanks for your words about your sources and prices. I need to do some digging for the next project.

Those holders are suitable for Cree 3070 too right? I need to check prices for 60 of them

Seymore did you solder your wiring to the 1212's? I bought some holders but am unsure as to whether they'll hold the wiring in place without it (bought from the same guy off the bay that I got the 1212's from). Thought I better ask before I jerry rig them up, I hate soldering with the cheapo iron I use. Thanks in advance :thumb:

Seymore did you solder your wiring to the 1212's? I bought some holders but am unsure as to whether they'll hold the wiring in place without it (bought from the same guy off the bay that I got the 1212's from). Thought I better ask before I jerry rig them up, I hate soldering with the cheapo iron I use. Thanks in advance :thumb:
Yes i have soldered them together. Everything is soldered. I want them solderless holders and molex picos for future projects.

I have this holder.

420-magazine-mobile1917479345.jpg

It got kind of messy with the thermal paste.

If you can first lay down your clu on the predrilled heatsink and look how the Holder applies on top and the holes match. Then smear the paste on it, press it back on that its tight from adhesive forces and then start the soldering. If this works out for you.

I soldered first, turned the cob around, put the paste on it, holder on top and then placed and mounted it with the screws. But like i said i was alilbit messy. Find out what works best for you.

If you dont want so solder i guess you will need other holders if you have the same like me from estonia.

If you go passive you can always point some fan to blow over your fixture and on the plants right? Even if your temps are stable without the fan you get little more efficiency with fan added.

I will put my drivers, cables as possible and other power supplies out of the room soon.

Edit: oh you wrote passive. As long as the airflow is horizontal or slighty moving up in the direction where extake happens this will be always better. A ultrasilent 5W Fan could do that job on its own, or maybe 2x120mm Fans

Cheers Hidden Dude. :) I mean the one Man O Green is using. The ones the cree guys use seem to work. With them you would have not to solder, and you would have the possibility of a adapter for a reflector.

As you can see i have to find a way to attach them on thr cheap plastic holders myself

Someone was asking how much my fans pull. Its 15 Watts from the old 10V power supply with 8 of them at full speed. I think it was you.

@jimmy

Sitting in the warming sun with almost blue sky.

420-magazine-mobile307331625.jpg

Cheers Hidden Dude. :) I mean the one Man O Green is using. The ones the cree guys use seem to work. With them you would have not to solder, and you would have the possibility of a adapter for a reflector.

As you can see i have to find a way to attach them on thr cheap plastic holders myself

Someone was asking how much my fans pull. Its 15 Watts from the old 10V power supply with 8 of them at full speed. I think it was you.

@Jimmy

Sitting in the warming sun with almost blue sky.

420-magazine-mobile307331625.jpg

Told you you'd break 80k

LOL thats the real sun like said. I can test it later. Right now i am at work. My wife just called i have 87F and rh of 23 on screen height. Probably had this for the last 10 hours.

I hate this grow so much right now. Gave her instructions how to use the hangers to move the lights up and spray some vaped water under the screen for now.

This room and this season... Grrrrr. Have to be careful with mold on the wall in the outer corner becausebof high RH and 2 meter next to it its 23% what the.... Grum.

It started when i added the 2 more tiny Clus. I boosted the Lights to 300 W from the wall this morning and had to go to work. Bad idea

I really have to get rid of this drivers inside the tent and should stop growing in winter when i have to heaten up the house and keep the windows mainly closed.

I should start producing my meds between april and october only. It is really hard for me in this craphole. In veg the humidity is too low and in flower too high. Just no stable and controllable climate.

I dont really know how to manage to prevent these ups and downs.

LOL thats the real sun like said. I can test it later. Right now i am at work. My wife just called i have 87F and rh of 23 on screen height. Probably had this for the last 10 hours.

I hate this grow so much right now. Gave her instructions how to use the hangers to move the lights up and spray some vaped water under the screen for now.

This room and this season... Grrrrr. Have to be careful with mold on the wall in the outer corner becausebof high RH and 2 meter next to it its 23% what the.... Grum.

It started when i added the 2 more tiny Clus. I boosted the Lights to 300 W from the wall this morning and had to go to work. Bad idea

I really have to get rid of this drivers inside the tent and should stop growing in winter when i have to heaten up the house and keep the windows mainly closed.

I should start producing my meds between april and october only. It is really hard for me in this craphole. In veg the humidity is too low and in flower too high. Just no stable and controllable climate.

I dont really know how to manage to prevent these ups and downs.

I keep my drivers off board for the same reason. Too hot.

Back
Top Bottom