Shadowman's Ideal 420 Soil Grow 2014

Sub'd. I've been trying to use this soil for a month now

1st try
No germination, just put 2 auto big bud seeds 1/4 inch in a 3 gallon pot filled with Ideal 420 soil, watered w/ distilled water, put under 24hr light, waited for over 10 days-- nothing so I dug up the seeds & they were dead

2nd try
Germ'd an autoberry seed in a paper towel (small taproot showing), watered the soil w/ distilled water, put the seed 1/4 inch in the dirt in a 3 gallon pot with Ideal 420 Soil, put under 24hr light, 7 days later-- Nothing, dug up the seed and it was dead.

I don't know what is going on. Anyone?

You need to plant the seeds into a soil that does not have any nutes at first. from what I understand is the 420 soil comes loaded with enough nutes to last the whole grow. So it is probably too strong for the little seedlings and ends up killing them from nutrient burn. Seedlings do not need much other than water at first.

You need to plant the seeds into a soil that does not have any nutes at first. from what I understand is the 420 soil comes loaded with enough nutes to last the whole grow. So it is probably too strong for the little seedlings and ends up killing them from nutrient burn. Seedlings do not need much other than water at first.

That's not the case, I've germinated around 15 seeds and planted them in the Ideal 420 Soil and all have broke soil and grew. I would look at the amount of water you are giving them. Either too much and they are rotting or not enough and they are starving. Just a quess but like I said, I haven't had a problem with seeds in Ideal 420 Soil.

That's not the case, I've germinated around 15 seeds and planted them in the Ideal 420 Soil and all have broke soil and grew. I would look at the amount of water you are giving them. Either too much and they are rotting or not enough and they are starving. Just a quess but like I said, I haven't had a problem with seeds in Ideal 420 Soil.

Shadowman how much water in fluid ounces do you think on average is good for watering a 3 gallon pot?

Try germinating them via the paper towel method if nothing else. I agree that if the soil has nutrients in it, you are probably burning the seeds to death. They need nothing but ph water until around the 2nd or 3rd node of branches appear.

I did that with an autoberry and once it was put in the 420 Soil it died

Hi shadowman! I'd love to follow your Journal as I just ordered Ideal soil last week and will be using it for our next grow. Didn't know they were a 420 sponsor till today!

Regarding seedlings, I did previously talk to a person at ideal soils who reassured me that it was for all plant stages including seedlings, I plan to start them in the rapid rooters and go right to the ideal soil.

I look forward to seeing how your plants do with it.:high-five:

:peace:

Shadowman how much water in fluid ounces do you think on average is good for watering a 3 gallon pot?

I did that with an autoberry and once it was put in the 420 Soil it died

I think your problem is the amount of water you're giving the seeds. When you first put the germinated seed(tap root DOWN) about a 1/4" deep. Then mist just where the seed is planted. You only want to keep the soil moist where the seed is located. Do not water the whole pot like you have a plant in Veg phase. Check on them several times throughout the day and when you notice the soil is drying out on top, mist again. When I say mist, I'm saying with a spray bottle and only enough to moisten the soil at the seed site. After it has broken soil, then you can increase the area in which you mist. Don't spray water directly on the seedling or up against the tiny frail stem. Mist around the stem, at least a 2" diameter around the stem but you can increase the misting to a 6" diameter for a seedling. Try that for the first 2 weeks or until you have two sets of leaves. Then you can increase your watering to 1 cup= 8oz distilled/ro water but you want to continue the practice of watering away from the main stem. That keeps the stem from rotting and promotes root growth (makes the roots search for water). I always water away from the main stalk throughout the grow. I've got plants in veg that are about a month old and I'm just giving them 1 cup distilled water and they are in 1gal pots. The plants I have in 3gal pots I'm watering a 1/2 gallon=8cups=64oz about every 4-5 days. I water the 1 and 3 gal pots until they just start to have run-off. I hope this helps you, like I said, I've not had any issue with seeds breaking soil or growing. The only time I had an issue with seedlings dying was in my first attempts at growing. I killed 4-5 seedlings due to over watering and caused them to rot. Once you get over the killing them with love syndrome you will be on your way to growing seed to harvest. Thanks for coming by and following along.

Sorry I haven't been around the last couple of days. My oldest daughter is getting married tomorrow and I have lots to do. I'll post new updates on Monday. Thank you all for support and interest.

Congrats on the wedding of ur daughter. This harvest should be a nice wedding present for the newly weds. Lol. Enjoy your weekend brother.

I think your problem is the amount of water you're giving the seeds. When you first put the germinated seed(tap root DOWN) about a 1/4" deep. Then mist just where the seed is planted. You only want to keep the soil moist where the seed is located. Do not water the whole pot like you have a plant in Veg phase. Check on them several times throughout the day and when you notice the soil is drying out on top, mist again. When I say mist, I'm saying with a spray bottle and only enough to moisten the soil at the seed site. After it has broken soil, then you can increase the area in which you mist. Don't spray water directly on the seedling or up against the tiny frail stem. Mist around the stem, at least a 2" diameter around the stem but you can increase the misting to a 6" diameter for a seedling. Try that for the first 2 weeks or until you have two sets of leaves. Then you can increase your watering to 1 cup= 8oz distilled/ro water but you want to continue the practice of watering away from the main stem. That keeps the stem from rotting and promotes root growth (makes the roots search for water). I always water away from the main stalk throughout the grow. I've got plants in veg that are about a month old and I'm just giving them 1 cup distilled water and they are in 1gal pots. The plants I have in 3gal pots I'm watering a 1/2 gallon=8cups=64oz about every 4-5 days. I water the 1 and 3 gal pots until they just start to have run-off. I hope this helps you, like I said, I've not had any issue with seeds breaking soil or growing. The only time I had an issue with seedlings dying was in my first attempts at growing. I killed 4-5 seedlings due to over watering and caused them to rot. Once you get over the killing them with love syndrome you will be on your way to growing seed to harvest. Thanks for coming by and following along.

thank you shadowman! / I think you are 100% right on here / do you think it would be ok to reuse the soil that a seed has drowned in?

That dead seed didn't use up the nutrients in the soil, so I'd plant something else in it for sure. I would make sure there is no dead roots in there first.

Subscribed Shadowman, Three pages and already I'm learning new stuff (super Cool)!! I've read about the future of soils that will grow a Marijuana plant from seed thru flower, and I hope this is the start. Just call me lazy or just wanting a big K.I.S.S.
Congratulations on walking your daughter down the isle.
Did anybody else notice that the General has subscribed here. This man writes some of the best articles on MMJ. Thank you Sir.
Also KJC is a welcome addition on any thread. Thank you KJC.
Sorry if I sounded like I was kissing butt, but they are deserving. Just my 2 bits.

Hi 60cal,

Thank you for your high praise! :bigblush:

I want to be clear I'm not a staff writer for 420 Magazine and I don't write the articles I post. I search internet news sites to bring the best MMJ and Cannabis legalization news to 420 Magazine. I do post the author of the articles at the bottom of each post after the photo.

:Namaste:

Did anybody else notice that the General has subscribed here. This man writes some of the best articles on MMJ. Thank you Sir.

But you do moderate a news page that is one of the select few areas to jump to on pulldown menus.
An area of the website read by non-subscribers.
That's pretty special :)

Hi 60cal,

Thank you for your high praise! :bigblush:

I want to be clear I'm not a staff writer for 420 Magazine and I don't write the articles I post. I search internet news sites to bring the best MMJ and Cannabis legalization news to 420 Magazine. I do post the author of the articles at the bottom of each post after the photo.

:Namaste:

I got it General, but these articles are the first threads I go to, for the best MMJ news anywhere. As you know Wa. St. is getting ready to change the MMJ laws which is why I follow your articles so close because I am a medical patient getting ready to start my medical grow and I want to stay legal. You and KJC are very modest "Mods" thank you for that.

I got it General, but these articles are the first threads I go to, for the best MMJ news anywhere. As you know Wa. St. is getting ready to change the MMJ laws which is why I follow your articles so close because I am a medical patient getting ready to start my medical grow and I want to stay legal. You and KJC are very modest "Mods" thank you for that.

Thank you kindly! I am very thankful for all of the opportunities that 420 Magazine and the 420 Magazine sponsors have brought to me as a Staff Writer for 420 Magazine!

Subbed :) Never heard of ideal 420 before, but definitely sounds nice to not have to add a million ferts every watering or so and spend all that money... hope it works!

Back
Top Bottom