Should I follow the directions?

LusciousLala

I have received my seeds and on the site that I ordered from it guarantees 80% germination rate if I follow their instructions, which are- soaking in glass of water for up to 18 hours and then the paper towel method. I have been reading quite a bit about the initial germination processes out there and I really like the idea of Rapid Rooters since this is my first virgin try and it seems idiot proof or for lack of a better description a germination process for dummies. I'd like to know if anyone out there has any good advice for a newbie?:Namaste:

Take some paper towels are pour over boiling water to kill any nasties. wring it out and place in a plastic container. Place seeds on damp paper then wet some more paper towel with boiling water, wring out and place on top. Put a lid on container so towels don't dry out. Place in a dark cupboard or a black plastic bag somewhere warm. Do not open the container for 72 hours for any reason. When you open they shout have good tails on. This will work 100% of the time with healthy seeds. Ive germed thousands this way.

Thank you for the quick reply. Lol funny thing though, it specifically states on the site not to cover them and not to place in an air-tight container. They are Northern Lights feminized seeds. Does that make a difference? You have been a member for quite a while and I'm sure you know what you're talking about. I just don't understand all the differing info out there.

thats just how i do it and it works. if it doesnt work they are dud seeds. i maybe lose 1 in a 100. if you feel more comfortable follow their instructions. i just use tuppaware tubs or similar. ive been growing successfully for a long time, feel free to check out some of my journals in my signature and if you have questions you can ask in them also.

good luck

Cultivator just checked out your journals. Wow. It's impressive and at the same time makes me feel soooooo clueless. You are a wealth of info and also have given me many things I will have to Google to find out what you're talking about. Thanks

dont worry and relax. Growing is a simple process and new growers always worry so much. i still remember when i started out maybe 15 years ago now, i thought i knew everything lol. take some time to read some journals, you can figure out quickly who knows their stuff. Ask as many questions as you like, good growers will always answer your queries. There are alot of good people on this forum, you are in the right place. If you cant learn to grow here, you wont learn anywhere.

Im not sure how you intend to grow. soil is not my strength, i much prefer coco coir. But i will help where i can if you get stuck ;)

The statement you made in your original post is correct. You are right to consider rapid rooters. I know that everyone has a different opinion regarding germination - including all of the breeders, and that makes it difficult for not only beginners but even some experienced growers as well. I'll tell you my recent experience and you can decide which is best for you. I think that soaking and the paper towel method probably works for fresh seeds but you don't know how fresh the seeds are when you receive them. I had 40 seeds that I purchased about a year and a half ago. Originally I placed 10 seeds in coco/perlite and nothing happened. Then I placed 10 seeds in a damp paper towel and within 3 days they became slimy and I lost them. Then I placed 10 seeds in 100% coco and nothing happened. With only 10 seeds left I decided to try rapid rooters, and they all popped within 2 days. Then I dug up the seeds that were still in the coco and put them in the rapid rooters, and within 2 days 9 out of 10 had popped. The conditions in the rapid rooters are perfect for germination and I'll never use anything else. Sorry to be so long winded. Hope it helps. Peace.

Take some paper towels are pour over boiling water to kill any nasties. wring it out and place in a plastic container. Place seeds on damp paper then wet some more paper towel with boiling water, wring out and place on top. Put a lid on container so towels don't dry out. Place in a dark cupboard or a black plastic bag somewhere warm. Do not open the container for 72 hours for any reason. When you open they shout have good tails on. This will work 100% of the time with healthy seeds. Ive germed thousands this way.

Hi Cultivator.

I am about to switch to this method. After having lost no seeds....really ever....I lost 4 very expensive seeds this week. Two of them I think I lost last night. Forgot to wet the paper towel on my way to bed. Woke up to them being bone dry. I rewet them. One had a tiny white tail. It's still white, but I am waiting for it to turn brown. The other was barely cracked. Time will tell, but if I had them in a container, I would not have had to worry about wetting them before I went to bed.

I sprout mine a similar way- damp paper towel in a tupperware type container. There shouldn't be any excess water- I tip it upside down after I wet it and drain any extra by letting it run out. I try to keep the seed/paper towel elevated a little -not down in the very bottom of the container. Basically aiming for 100% humidity, and warm - like 80 degrees or so (I actually haven't checked the temps- just on the warm side of room temperature. I leave the lid a bit loose. Unlike Cultivator I usually check mine after 24 hours. Most of them have sprouted by then- slowpokes within 48 hours and the occasional problem seed that takes longer. I like to plant them before the tail gets very long. It's an easy method and I figure anything that doesn't sprout this way within three days or so probably never was going to.

In a container with a lid I don't have them dry out- the water can't escape and even if the towel is only barely damp the environment will be at 100% humidity. I do sometimes crack the lid a little, have it slightly loose just so there is a teeny bit of air exchange. If they are getting a little dry I may sprinkle a couple drops of water in. Generally it's hands-free and easier to do than it is to type out an explanation.
I dried out many, and oversoaked a few too, before I figured out the trick of putting a lid on ;) usually they didn't survive- but you'll find out soon whether they did it not.

In a container with a lid I don't have them dry out- the water can't escape and even if the towel is only barely damp the environment will be at 100% humidity.
I dried out many, and oversoaked a few too, before I figured out the trick of putting a lid on ;) usually they didn't survive- but you'll find out soon whether they did it not.

Thanks Weasel, that's a confirmation of what I suspected. I doubt they will make it. I'll give them til tomorrow and if they don't look good, I'll start 2 new ones. This is my worst run to date. Just trying to get 4 plants started....on the same day if possible....and I am at 6 seeds attempted and 2 plants started. If the next 2 take..it will be 8 seeds to start 4 plants.

Back
Top Bottom