Slow decrease to 12 hours?

LiaK

420 Member
I've been looking around but can't find much info on this. Is there any merit to the idea of letting the number of hours of light gradually reduce down to12? Over a week or two? Seems to my simple mind that the plants would react by preparing to flower more naturally.
Thanks,
Lia

I've been looking around but can't find much info on this. Is there any merit to the idea of letting the number of hours of light gradually reduce down to12? Over a week or two? Seems to my simple mind that the plants would react by preparing to flower more naturally.
Thanks,
Lia
I have no scientific evidence for this just my experience.

I asked this same question on my current grow.

I went from...
24/0
20/4
18/6
12/12

Again not sure if this was the cause but i noticed sex before the flip to 12/12.

It wouldnt hurt to try it

No benefit, IMO. Just do it! :cheesygrinsmiley:

I'm new and it's just an opinion but I'll bet that energy can be better spent. I think they have higher priorities to worry about. If you had such a perfectly dialed in garden that you could worry about such insignificant things then I would go out of the way to do things like this.

Really though there is a fine line where you can make indoor growing a loss. Most people are looking for a high return on their investment and monitoring tiny things like this would make it expensive.

I'd say if you want More natural move outdoor or use outdoor sun.

Just seems like more work for minimal return.

Sent from my iPhone using 420

monitoring tiny things like this would make it expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using 420

My timer counts in 15 minute increments... i wouldnt consider pushing 2 to 4 pins to change the time expensive

Nor would i consider it a waste of time

In nature the sun doesn't just switch

So tho there may not be evidence to prove it works but i think itd be pretty hard to show it doesnt work when nature does it

Also kind has a feature on their lights called mother earth where it rises and dims to mimic sunrise and sunset and the different intensities at those different times. Never used them but id have to think they did some type of homework before adding such a snazzy feature to their lights and charging so much for them.

Also the gas lantern method as mentioned above.

So id hardly think it was a total waste of time let alone an expensive waste at that

The only way to really test something like this, rather than put it forward for the opinion of a million other people who haven't tried it either so they can give their opinion and argue about it, is to do a side by side test where you flip one plant the normal way, and one in increments.

For that you need extra flowering space.

I think you'd find that there isn't much of a difference. Factor in the huge risk of screw-ups (in my experience) that comes with constantly messing around with your timer, and I think it's an obvious choice.

The only way to really test something like this, rather than put it forward for the opinion of a million other people who haven't tried it either so they can give their opinion and argue about it, is to do a side by side test where you flip one plant the normal way, and one in increments.

For that you need extra flowering space.

I think you'd find that there isn't much of a difference. Factor in the huge risk of screw-ups (in my experience) that comes with constantly messing around with your timer, and I think it's an obvious choice.
I know i would screw up not just once. Once my timers are set right I try my hardest not to touch them after that. Several times I have forgotten that I had the switch on the side on constantly and that makes me mad lol

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I use digital timers and they are so stupidly quirky that I hate to even touch them. When I program any schedule changes into them the safest way is to unplug them, remove the little battery to reset them completely, and start completely from scratch.
Don't ask....
I used the mechanical timers with pins for years as well. Also plenty of room for screw-ups there. And whenever the power goes out the plants are suddenly on a whole new program.
I ended up running small extension cords from my timers out to the outside world. I plugged night-lights into them.
When the timer with the grow light goes on, the indicator night-light comes on. I had way too many bad experiences with lights being on when they shouldn't, and lights not being on when they should.

I use digital timers and they are so stupidly quirky that I hate to even touch them. When I program any schedule changes into them the safest way is to unplug them, remove the little battery to reset them completely, and start completely from scratch.
Don't ask....
I used the mechanical timers with pins for years as well. Also plenty of room for screw-ups there. And whenever the power goes out the plants are suddenly on a whole new program.
Yep, i use the pins and there has been a few times where somehow a 15 minute pin didnt get pushed or shouldnt be pushed but was. Luckily I've never caused myself any hermies but it scared the crap out of me when I seen it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I certainly don't have enough ready for flower to make a test worthwhile. Maybe one day, but for now definately easier to flip a switch.
Lia.

Back
Top Bottom